Scooter/motorbike?

Can you rent a motorbike (scooter) on the island as a cheap way of getting around? What licence needed? Thanks!!

Long term rental of scooter bikes will run you about 600 rupees per day. You just need your license from your country.

Does anyone know how much it would be to buy a scooter?  Is there a Vespa dealer on the island?

Hi I only see posts about renting a scooter to explore the island from the year 2010.

What are the possibilities these days and is it still a nice option to get around as I do not dare to drive and navigate myself while driving on the other side of the road.

@RonanF it depends on the brand AND the engine size. Import duty increases as capacity increases. Yes there is a Vespa dealer. Maison De La Moto.

@oshudofsky I have been riding motorcycles for 5 years and I don't recommend it anywhere for tourists or inexperienced riders. Whether it is Thailand or Mauritius, it will all be fine until it goes really wrong. I ride with full protective gear literally from my head to my toes no matter the country. I see tourists and locals with sandals, shorts, vests and the only protection is a helmet. People are soft and squishy, tar is hard and nasty. Cars are 1 ton of steel driven by someone who does not even see you half the time. When you arrive and we have a coffee together I will show you my scars from slow scooter accidents.

@pbrough as far as I know you need a motorcycle license from your home country. I know some countries let tourists ride scooters with a car license, I don't think this applies in Mauritius.

@oshudofsky I have been riding motorcycles for 5 years and I don't recommend it anywhere for tourists or inexperienced riders. Whether it is Thailand or Mauritius, it will all be fine until it goes really wrong. I ride with full protective gear literally from my head to my toes no matter the country. I see tourists and locals with sandals, shorts, vests and the only protection is a helmet. People are soft and squishy, tar is hard and nasty. Cars are 1 ton of steel driven by someone who does not even see you half the time. When you arrive and we have a coffee together I will show you my scars from slow scooter accidents.
-@Expat Ash

@oshudofsky, I agree with @Expat Ash concerning riding a scooter / motorbike in Mauritius.  It is simply too dangerous when you are sharing the road with buses, trucks, and cars.  I had a motorbike accident in Mauritius when I was young and like him, I would not recommend.  I have not ridden a motor bike since.  Scooter and motorbikes are fun when you are in a safe environment where there are no trucks and cars and where everyone is considerate of each other (i.e. very small tourist islands).  Mauritius is a much bigger island and much busier.

You don't want to get into an motorbike accident in Mauritius as dealing with insurance can become complicated very quickly if you do.  As @Expat Ash is mentioning, this discussion may be better be had around coffee.

For this issue, it may be better to be safe than sorry.

Hope that this helps.

@Expat Ash I was looking again on this so helpful site to look for info about renting a scooter. I came across your warning message. Despite that, I am still thinking of renting one because I really don't dare to drive myself on the left side. I have travelled to so many countries and rented scooters 1f60a.svg. I love to have a coffee with you and then indeed you can show me your scars and it might scare me enough not to proceed 1f606.svg. Are there any scooter rental places in Flic en Flac anyway? I will arrive there on May 12th. Just let me know when you have time. It will be so useful and fun to chat with you about Mauritius 1f60e.svg

@oshudofsky there are scooter rental places in Flic en Flac. I am at your disposal, contact me when you land and I will come to The West to have coffee with you.

@Expat Ash do you want to PM me with your whatsapp number? I cannot find it.