WHAT I LIKE ABOUT SAUDIA

Okay, we're always complaining.  Let's now all contribute ONE thing we like about the Kingdom (you can contribute more later, but for now just one thing, okay?)

I'll start.  One thing I REALLY like about Riyadh is that there is no humidity.  There is NO SUCH THING as a bad hair day here!!!!!!!

NEXT!

the thing i like now in riyadh is https://www.expat.com

Has to be the air conditioned malls in my opinion!

& in case you want to hear what I hate the most let me know ;)

i sure love the peaceful nights......

Alliecat wrote:

There is NO SUCH THING as a bad hair day here!!!!!!!

That's deeep::P:lol:

and IF, perchance, you do have a bad hair day..you can cover it up with a scarf...

and then what do you do if ypu have a bad scarf day?

musicman wrote:

and then what do you do if ypu have a bad scarf day?

I would ring hubby and ask him to bring home take out for dinner ;)

A second deep thing I like:

all the wonder varieties of fruit and vegetable juices available!

In the US, these juices would be 90 percent sugar water and artificial flavoring :lol:  but here they are almost 100% pure juice and just delicious (but be careful--it's easy to inadvertently gain weight).

I love fresh fruit juice too, especially squeezed righjt in front of your eyes from the fruit.......

and what abt the Shawarma, Falafel, Laham Mashwee, Kunaafa, ahhhh lifes surely good in the desert sands.

God Bless n enjoy it while it lasts

I like it that everyone here is willing to help out. It's probably an over used phrase but "we're all in the same boat".

Since I've moved here everyone has been really kind.

Thats what Family are for...

I like that each day in Saudi seems to bring something new, a new experience.  At home, my life had become very predictable.  HERE, when I wake up, I never know what's going to happen in a day! 

Sometimes it's something big, like when I found out quite unnanounced that the King had given the employees where I work a raise (!!!) or perhaps making a new friend.

Sometimes it's something small, like learning a new Arabic word or something interesting about the culture, or discovering a new food or restaurant.

My observation:  I think to be happy in Saudi one has to be able to embrace and appreciate the small things :)

I like the fact "My life is rushing no where"and When i come back from my home country I feel like"back to the home":)

Our two gals and the grandkids also feel very much at home here since they have lived in the sands all their lives.

I like the feeling that work is more like a picnic here, everything can wait, its always, Tomorrow, Never Mind, and If God Wills

I like the 'Call to Prayers.'  Our guy has a beautiful voice and he's the only one we hear on the compound (we're very far west so don't get the cacophany effect that ruins it for so many people).

Also, I sleep soundly so the 4:30AM call never awakens me :lol:

The Prophet of Islam ordered Bilal, a slave of African originb, to be the very first caller to prayer because he had a beautiful voice that would captiovate the listener. The purpose of a prayer call is to make the invite sound good and healthy to the believers.

Its sad to see so many Mosques hiring Muezzins (callers) to make the prayer call while not even being able to pronounce the Arabic language correctly. It has just become a matter of convenience for the authorities to bring in non Arabic speaking expats at janitorial pay scale levels to make the prayer call in addition to keeping the Mosque clean.

The whole objective of prayer in the Mosque has become a ritual rather than a congregation with its expected benefits of keeping the community in close communication, contact, and harmony.

When will they ever learn?

For me its the way of life here.

It just seems more peaceful, more time for family.

And Im going to say it...weather...(well lets say Im from Manchester (rain city in the UK)

There is a HUGE difference here if one has family with them.  Much easier, I think, because you've still got your life,--the important things that you love-- just in a new place.

very true. my first year in ksa was as a single male and it was real tough i tell you. the family only joined me a year later. however, i must say it gave me some time to set myself up in a strange land with strange people, customs, driving skills, weather, etc etc and have the accomodation spruced up neatly beore they joined me. The value adds were also that i was forced to learn how to cook which I can do well now and give any 5* chef a run for his onions. The nights were the loneliest, esp in winter.

During that era we only had three local TV channels, Saudi 1, 2 and Aramco 3. The bigger attractions, since I was located in AlKhobar in the Eastern Province was Radio Bahrain which was a typically Brit style FM Radio Station managd entirely by Brits and of great quality and entertainment. We also had the chance to tune in to Bahrain 55 TV and a few other Gulf Channels as long as we had some powerful rotating antennae which were not so cheap then.

The beach was a great place to relax during the cooler climes. The people were simply outa this worls, mostly Yankees on account of Aramco's masive presence and activity there.

Friends and a few relatives, living in most western compounds were always willing to invite me over on weekends where we enjoyed music, movies (video), great food, and recreation.

Driving to Jubail and Hofuf on weekends was also exciting. Buying fresh fish directly off the fishing boats at Qatif was truly adventurous and appetising too.

Highway construction was inits initial stages then and it was fun to watch how they built all those massive transport routes, bridges, underpasses, and interchanges.

It was a fantastic learning curve of civil engineering, HR Management, Culture Shock and Gourmet living for 365 days.

Something else I like is that most Saudi's have a wonderful sense of humor (this means they laugh at the right places when I tell a joke lol)/

No, really! And even when their English is limited, still manage to have a laugh or two :lol:

Response to jokes depends on the maturity and education level of the listener in addition to his/her ability to grasp the language.

In most cases my experience has shown that the locals, and even many South Asians, and Africans, do not latch on to punning and wit in the English language. This is, usually, an area of humor that is generally picked up without any difficulty, most times, by the Brits and the Yanks. Even Europeans do grapple with it sometimes cos of the language issue. One has to think in English to be able to pick such nuances on the fly.

Aliteration is another area thats dificult for the non native English speaker.

What I like about Saudia is this forum....
Think about it..

The cultural restrictions evident here mean that any one of us-male/female/married/single can jump on this forum and 'talk' things out.
We don't need to organise to meet
We don't have to worry about our physical appearances or age differences, any one of us can join in and have a say.
If we have had a bad day, we can express ourselves here or choose to privately message someone we feel we can trust.

It is not easy living in a culture that fetters the rights of others but then again, the pay is great and it's not forever:)

Thanks Julien for providing these 'Riyadhites' with a voice

No doubt about it that the forum is most valuable and enlightening to many of us and I do hope it will grow further into something really big.

There is no harm in arranging a real meeting of minds and bodies at some local venue in order to create another opportunity for social interaction.

Individually, I still think, we are all filled with freedom of thought and action, even if we are unable to express them openly in public.

Heres an intersting website that details many aspects of life in KSA by an American lady who has chosen to com and live here:-

http://www.expatinterviews.com/saudi-ar … eming.html

Ioanna wrote:

What I like about Saudia is this forum....
Think about it..

The cultural restrictions evident here mean that any one of us-male/female/married/single can jump on this forum and 'talk' things out.
We don't need to organise to meet
We don't have to worry about our physical appearances or age differences, any one of us can join in and have a say.
If we have had a bad day, we can express ourselves here or choose to privately message someone we feel we can trust.

It is not easy living in a culture that fetters the rights of others but then again, the pay is great and it's not forever:)

Thanks Julien for providing these 'Riyadhites' with a voice

Amen to That :top:

one thing only huh?

hmmmm,,....   .... *scratching head* ...

I suddenly became blank with not many ideas..
but what Im surely happy with is that I can find a Masjid (mosque) at any corner when I need to. it's always in walking distance. that (for any muslim) is a great bliss.

when I was in Japan, I had to make an agressive research just to find a masjid for Friday Prayer.

guess thats my first addition.

Salman

but what Im surely happy with is that I can find a Masjid (mosque) at any corner when I need to

Wish it were as easy  to find a church :whistle:

lol

yeah, I suppose thats the downside.

you cant have it all :P

Salman

ah Guys...

I'm having a laught reading your post! :)

Great stuff!
So interesting to read about people living there...waow!
What about living in Jeddha? How is it?

I have realized,we become more social and willing to get our selves into multi cultures.
I hardly had chance to attend girls gathering.I always thought it would damn boring and irritating but Riyadh proved me wrong.
I feel the inner change as well.I am turning into better human being[i guess]:rolleyes:

i think anyone can pray wherever he chooses without the need for specific Churches or Mosques. Faith is an independent relationship between human an God.

nonz wrote:

I hardly had chance to attend girls gathering.[i guess]:rolleyes:

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/thinking-023.GIF

@lotus jeddah is actually considered as a good place for expacts...at the moment i m here wat i se is i still am in Saudi Arabia..
and thats turning true...actually it seems i can breath easily here

Alliecat wrote:

A second deep thing I like:

all the wonder varieties of fruit and vegetable juices available!

In the US, these juices would be 90 percent sugar water and artificial flavoring :lol:  but here they are almost 100% pure juice and just delicious (but be careful--it's easy to inadvertently gain weight).

Where do u get the freshly squeezed juices? I've only stumbled upon guava and mixed fruit juice at Carrefour once...and now I can't remember where..lol. The packed fruit juices here don't seem to be sugar free...as far as my hubby and i have seen (we literally read the label on each and every brand).

There are plenty of fresh juice places in every single town within the city. Just ask someone in one of the corner stores in your location and I am sure they will be able to guide you.

all the packed fruit juices have to be artificial as they have to maintain the taste
i have been to a fruit bar once named "tutti mango" opposite mama noura...they have a good fruit salad...the juices and the milkshake was good...milkshake not to beat baskin robbins tho

sutradulotus wrote:

ah Guys...

Great stuff!
What about living in Jeddha? How is it?

were glad your enjoying the read :D welcome to KSA, well.. the blog at least ;)

Salman

sutradulotus wrote:

ah Guys...

Great stuff!

It's 1am in Melbourne, Australia and I just lost an email I had been writing for the past 2+ hours...apparantly msn timed out and it never saved to draft!!! It was very important and regarding my visa to Saudi....I was sooooo annoyed I wanted to ring hotmail and blast them...I know, I know, next time I will write it in Word and copy to email..UGH!
Anyway instead of going to bed angry I decided to check into this forum and sure enough there was Alliecat, Nonz, Musicman and others chatting away and being silly and I just had to laugh and send a reply to the MIGHTY GIRLS PARTY post...you GO GURLS!! xxxxx thanx for turning my night around

yeah! girl's party rules:D

it will surely rule if it takes place ;)

loanna, you need to migrate to GMAIL, sooner the better...

its good to know we are able to tuck people into bed with the magnificence of our forum posts....

the Eagles Entertainment is on this weekend, looks like, and all the Falcons in the neighborhood are on the prowl...looking to buy Abhayas for a Crash...