University of Malta

Hello everyone,

I applied to the University of Malta over a month ago. Untill today I havent heard anything from there, other than that they've received my documents (diploma, cv etc.)
Does anybody know how long it usually takes for them to send an acceptance or refusal letter. I did have the local qualification, because of my English BTEC diploma. So was expecting a fast response.

PS. Are there any people here who are going to study or are already studying at the University? Im very curious to know how the school/teachers/students are.

Thank you!!!

I think the University is in disarray at present: the board got sacked after the election (as the other lot appointed them) and have not been replaced: there is nobody able to make a decision on appointments or day to day admin. There is a confirming news story in the Times of Malta from a couple of months ago and I've not seen an update:

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20130520/local/Politics-paralyse-the-University-council.470438[/url]

Woow, well that sucks! So there a lot ofpeoplwaiting on a respondse then. Do you think its worth emailing orcalling the university about myapplication? Their school year begin in october and i would like to start with preparations the big move!
Thank you!

Hi Candi,

I can remember from last year that a lot of applicants were left waiting until the last minute. It is kind of normal to get a reply close to the beginning of the school year it seems!

Our neighbour is a lecturer so I can ask him what is going on. What course did you apply for?

Cheers
Ricky

With regard to the exemption of non-Maltese EU students from paying University of Malta fees, please see:

http://www.um.edu.mt/finance/service/coursefeeshttp://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ies.436713

Well hopefully I will get a responds soon! Cause with my work, friends and family, I need to set a date for the big move. I hope this is just in regards to the application and not the school quality. I just left a school with bad organization and really cant handle another one :p

Thanks u guys!

Hey!
I can't be of much help with your questions about the Uni systems and getting accepted but I am also hoping to study at the Uni of Malta next year. I would also love to hear any pointers about where to get accommodation, what the classes are like, etc. etc.
Cheers, Strawbs :)

As soon as I get any information about my application, I will definitely help you! As my preperation can finally continue when I get any information.

-Candi

Candi26,

I refer to your comment: ‘I hope this is just in regards to the application and not the school quality. I just left a school with bad organization and really cant handle another one…..'

I regret to confirm that your experience is illustrative of how this place ‘operates'.

In this regard, please see the feedback of forum members regarding the harrowing ordeal of the ‘e-Residence Card' application ‘process' to which non-Maltese (EU) citizens are illegally subjected: 

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 57267&p=26

Hi Candi,

I talked to a friend today who is a lecturer at the university. He confirmed that things at the University are quite chaotic at the moment - even for him !

If you send me some details of your case ( name,course you applied for) he should be able to intervene on your behalf and at least provide you with somebody who will answer back -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

@Ricky I just send you the information you requested. I hope it works!

Thank you!

@ Byron "I regret to confirm that your experience is illustrative of how this place ‘operates'"

or NOT as the case maybe.

SNAFU

Hi candi,

I got your information and will pass it on.

I'll let you know when I get some feedback.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi candi,

there was a notice in the Sunday Times of Malta today that applications can be submitted online until Tuesday 23 rd midnight. After that late fees will apply.

So they will not even start considering applications until after the deadline to compare application numbers and quality with available places.

You will have to wait! But I will try and get some info for you.

Cheers
Ricky

OK, well thats in two days. So hopefully I will get a responds soon then.
I will also wait for the info from your friends.

Thanks again so much!

University application process

Prospective University students can access the new 2013-2014 prospectus online at www.um.edu.mt/admissions.

They may submit applications up to midnight on Tuesday by logging on www.um.edu.mt/apply, or by visiting https://esims.um.edu.mt/esims/ipp/appindex.html .

Applicants needing assistance with the online application may go in person to the Gateway Building, Msida campus, or the Gozo campus, Xewkija, tomorrow and on Tuesday between 8.30am and 12.30pm.

Applications submitted after Tuesday will be subject to the payment of late application fees.

Source: The Times of Malta, Sunday, 21st July, 2013 at 00:06
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ess.478877

Does anyone know what sort of reputation the University has?  I am (maybe) interested in following a postgraduate course here from October 2014 - I know this is a year away but I am doing as much research as possible before my move! 

Many thanks

Sarah

Hey everyone, :)

It is a pleasure to be here, I am new here so I hope there is everything okay to ask some help in this forum.

I applied to the University of Malta a few weeks ago. However, I haven't heard anything from the university until now. (only that they have got my qualifications)
I'd like to ask the same question as Candi26 did, does anybody know how long I must wait until I get an acceptance or a refusal letter? I am from Lithuania, I have been graduated from my high school a few weeks ago and once I got my school leaving certificate I translated it and sent it in order to support my application. I also sent some other diplomas to make a good impression. So, I have overseas qualifications. Anyway, I know that not so much time has passed since I sent it, but I am so nervous that I can't even sleep and eat well anymore. I try not to think about it but it's not easy :( Whatever I do, I always catch myself thinking about the university of Malta. It's my dream to study there and I'd like to know as soon as possible whether my dream will come true or not.

I would be grateful if there were anybody who could help me :)

P.s. I especially refer to Ricky. You said you know somebody from the university. Would it too much to ask you a favour? Could you try to get some information about me too? If you can't, that's all-right, don't worry :)

Thank you!!! :)
Have a nice day you all!!!! :)

If its like last year, confirmation normally arrives 1 week before the course starts. Same with MCAST too. I got confirmation from MCAST on the 2nd October to have my induction on the 8th last year.

My friend from Ireland came here to do nursing at Malta uni,, her acceptance letter arrived 5 days before the first class.

My mother also applied for nursing and her confirmation arrived 3 days before first class.

Wooow thats really late. I mean if your coming from another country that really sucks!! But how can they do this? If I get my confimation letter a week before, I wont be able to make to class in time (ill  need at least 2 weeks). Is it possible then to go to class later?? Or do you have to be there the 1st day?

THank you!

Wow, it's really wrong.:( One thing is when you live in that country, and completely different thing is when you are waiting a response in another country without knowing what to do - do you have to book a ticket, rent a room, make all the arrangements and all the stuff. It's really bad if they do not consider the fact that the prospective students with overseas qualifications cannot arrive like in the blink of an eye...:|

I don't think they see it as their problem if you are in the country in time or not...

University of Malta don't have an attendance policy so missing classes won't get you in trouble but it would be to your disadvantage.

MCAST are more strict and you are only allowed to miss a maximum of 15- 20% of the lectures during the whole year before they kick you out.

Hello guys,
Anybody heard anything yet??

Just asked a friend who is attending UoM

I asked: Hi, may I ask how long it took for your acceptance letter for Uni here to arrive after your application? Also, does one HAVE to attend on the first day? Thanks.

The reply:
Hi, the uni admin is typical Maltese and I got my acceptance letter after I started! If you have to go through international admissions then that is what holds it up. I got a phone call 2 days before the Monday Uni starts! Also, first week is Freshers week so there will be no lectures except Medical school……..

Further to that I was told:
They will have to keep chasing them as they might need more info but don't tell you. English certificate for one. It slowed everything up for me, my smart card and stipend and was still at their office everyday. It's not just because we are foreign, it's because the qualifications are...Even Maltese with certificates from abroad go through this process.

and.............

But one thing for sure as, although disorganised, the level of education here is very good. I have medical student friends from the UK, some have 2 degrees already and they say they mean nothing here, it's not much more than having a couple of A levels.

Does that help?

Continuing this by PM unless it is of any interest to anyone else here?

Hi redmik,

please contuinue in 'public' as there are several members interested in information on this issue.

Thanks
Ricky

As requested:

Redmik:
Just asked a friend who is attending UoM
I asked: Hi, may I ask how long it took for your acceptance letter for Uni here to arrive after your application? Also, does one HAVE to attend on the first day? Thanks.

The reply:
Hi, the uni admin is typical Maltese and I got my acceptance letter after I started! If you have to go through international admissions then that is what holds it up. I got a phone call 2 days before the Monday Uni starts! Also, first week is Freshers week so there will be no lectures except Medical school……..

Further to that I was told:
They will have to keep chasing them as they might need more info but don't tell you. English certificate for one. It slowed everything up for me, my smart card and stipend and was still at their office everyday. It's not just because we are foreign, it's because the qualifications are...Even Maltese with certificates from abroad go through this process.

Does that help?

Candi26 :
Hi Redmilk,
Thanks so much! This is really annoying though. So I might get a letter next week or the day before I start. Do you think it's a good idea to call or should I just move to Malta (even if its for a little while) and just go to the school?
What do you think is the best thing I should do?

Redmik:
Or you'll get your letter after you start.
I cannot advise you as I am not attending, it is my friend who gave those answers but I will ask.
My hunch is to attend on the first day and see what happens!

This is what I got..............

In response to the letter, there is nothing you can do in August as it is pretty much shut down. If you know for sure that your qualifications are adequate and there is no reason why you shouldn't be accepted, then I think you need to come over for the start (first week of October)
As you know, Malta works better face to face and not through phone calls and emails but saying that, hounding them until then is not a bad idea. Your acceptance letter, (when you receive it!)  will have a computer activation account, (perhaps the receipt of qualifications has the same reference?) which you will need to register for the study units...Also, you will need to sort out student residency.
There is also the resits in September, so I think they get bogged down with that too.

Good luck.

-Candi26:
Hi Redmilk,

Well that is just swell then. So if I move, I might miss my letter with all my information (but I can probably still get that at the University) and if I don't move and do get the letter I might miss a lot of classes.
Well this is something to think about. Even though I'll probably still move just to see the Island for a little while.

Thank you for helping me with this. It has definitely made my decision more precise. Is there any way that I can talk directly to that friend of yours?

Redmik:
I will ask her.

She agreed email sent by PM.

Thank you Redmilk! I will await her PM :)

Candi26 wrote:

Thank you Redmilk! I will await her PM :)

I have sent it to you by PM as she is not on this Forum.

Hi, I'm the person Mick was talking to. Don't worry about getting the letter crossed, you can get a copy from the International Admin office. They are slow and it is frustrating but once it is sorted it is very efficient (not talking about lectures being cancelled and stuff!)
The level of education is high here. The extra Degree Plus and seminars are wide in variety and student life is good (I am a mature student with kids, so I don't join in with extra stuf) but I have friends here from abroad who are enjoying the experience.

Merhba! coxf0001 :one:top::thanks:

Thank you all! it is just a pleasure and I must say a relief to read all these messages as I have the same problem too. I am still waiting for their response and I am starting to get into a panic, really. Knowing that there is more people who are dealing with this problem and finding those who are trying to help by getting more information is great! You know, being in other country while waiting till someone says you if your are good enough for the university is really stressful. Please, once you have any information more (any!), publish it here. It is so important for me and for the rest of foreigners who are expecting to get there.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I am doing my BSc Hons in Dental Hygiene. It's the first time the course has run, so there have been some hiccups but nothing to stress over.
I am already a resident here, so had one less complication to deal with.
I was called only a couple of days before the start and received my later a cuople of weeks after I started!
I understand your frustrations, especially as you are living abroad but I know many foriegn students and they've managed it so there is light at the end of the tunnel!
There are some very basic but cheap holiday packages here in October being out of season, some just 20 euro a day full board. It's better to book direct with them and I am willing to help anyone with that (student life now...have loads of time on my hands!) So perhaps getting here a week before would be a good idea, even if it just ends up a holiday. The climate is good in October and you'll go back with a tan!
Hope this helps.

Im so desperate. Still waiting for the results and as I live in Sweden the time is running out. Anyone in same situation?

meow wrote:

Im so desperate. Still waiting for the results and as I live in Sweden the time is running out. Anyone in same situation?

Have you called them? Ask for the International admissions office.

Yes I have. All they say is that my application is processed. It has been the same the last 4 weeks. I also applied to one university in UK and got in with my papers but I prefer Malta. Ah don`t know what to do.

I was told a couple of days before the start. Also, resit results are not out yet, so maybe they are waiting for them?
The first week is Freshers week, so no lectures then (unless you have applied for a medical school course.)

ok :) No I applied for tourism. I hope that they inform me very soon...

Don't be put off, all things 'Malta' work like this, and they wonder why you stress about it! When you do start, things run smoothly and are well organised. Keep calling, everyday and good luck!

Thank you :)! Haha yeah these things show the culture differences!