Studying in Malta

Updated 2023-01-22 11:23

Many international students choose to study in Malta. The Republic of Malta enjoys a strong reputation regarding quality education. Indeed, Malta has been attracting many international students over the years thanks to the level of its higher education system. Whether you're looking to study abroad temporarily or to obtain another degree, why not set out on a new adventure? Malta is a historically rich country where you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle and a peaceful environment while you study.

The higher education system in Malta

As Malta is part of the European Union, its higher education complies with the Bologna Process. This process standardized the educational system at European universities. Following this system, higher education in Malta is divided into 3 cycles:

  • Undergraduate cycle: Bachelor's degrees almost always run for three years.
  • Postgraduate cycle: Master's degrees usually take two years to complete.
  • Doctoral cycle: a Ph.D. takes at least three years to complete, often more.

When studying at the University of Malta, you earn ECTS credits (European Credit Transfert System) that are recognized in other EU countries' universities.

Besides the university, Malta also has colleges.

Procedures and visas to study in Malta

The first thing to consider is the language. There are two official languages in Malta, Maltese and English, the latter being the one used for higher education. It is, therefore, essential to speak English to study in Malta.

Going to study in Malta requires appropriate planning, although procedures are rather simple for Europeans. European Union nationals, European Economic Area (EEA) citizens and Swiss citizens do not need a visa to travel to Malta. They can simply produce a valid passport.

However, they must request a residence permit (eResidence card) if they intend to stay for more than three months in Malta, which will probably be the case if they will be studying there.

You can find detailed information about the residence permit in Malta in our article "Residence and work permit in Malta". Briefly, you need to gather the following documents:

  • Your valid passport or identity card with a photocopy;
  • A letter of acceptance from the educational establishment;
  • Medical insurance covering hospitalization and repatriation;
  • Proof of financial support;
  • A completed and signed application form for a study residence permit.

As the authorities have a large number of permit applications to process, it is best to apply as soon as you can, even before arriving in Malta.

If you are a non-EU/EEA national (Third-country national), you should inquire with the nearest Maltese embassy to ensure all requirements are met prior to departure. The formalities may change depending on your country and bilateral agreements. Do not hesitate to contact the University of Malta (UM). The information service (SAS or Student Advisory Services) can help you. You can also review the list of the University of Malta's partner universities for an international exchange program.

To come to Malta, you might first need a visa. There are two types of visas in Malta, depending on the length of your stay: the Schengen visa (90 days in a 180 days period) and the National Long Stay Visa (D Visa). As international students often stay in Malta for at least one year, you are likely to need a D Visa.

Also, don't forget to plan your journey well. You might not find direct flights from your country of residence to Malta. In this case, you will have to stop over in another country on your way to Malta. Check with the relevant embassy whether you require an entry or transit visa.

In a second time, you will need to apply for a resident permit called eResidence in Malta.

A detailed outline of requirements for both EU/EEA nationals and non-EU/EEA nationals to procure an eResidence document can be found on the University of Malta website here.

Studying at the University of Malta

The University of Malta is the highest teaching institution in Malta. The university hosts around 11,500 new students every year, including some 1,500 international students coming from more than 125 different countries. 

The university provides both full-time and part-time courses. The country also hosts several private schools and specialized colleges from which you can choose according to your field of study. See a list of them further down in this article.

The University of Malta consists of 14 Faculties, including Arts, Built Environment, Dental Surgery, Economics, Management & Accountancy, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Information & Communication Technology, Laws, Media & Knowledge Sciences, Medicine & Surgery, Science, Social Wellbeing and Theology. The University of Malta also has 18 Institutes, 13 Centres and 3 Schools.

There are three campuses: the main campus is centrally located in Msida, the Valletta campus hosts the International Collaborative Programme (among other events and groups), and the Gozo campus offers part-time evening degree and diploma courses.

As knowledge of English is required, it offers a preparatory course at the Malta University Language School called “English For Visiting Students at University of Malta”.

University courses are organized by semesters, running from October to February and from February to June or July. Students are entitled to two weeks' holiday in December and March or April (for Easter).

The Erasmus program is top-rated in Malta. It is the well-known EU program to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Both EU students and non-EU students are eligible for this program. If you are not an EU national, check if you can benefit from the Erasmus Mundus program.

Registration at the University of Malta

The Admissions & Records office differentiates between Maltese and international students when assessing the application. Students with qualifications to enter a recognized university whose standards are equivalent to those of the University of Malta (UM) in their home country are generally accepted. The UM accepts applicants wishing to study full-time but also part-time, evening and correspondence courses.

Remember that the University of Malta is open to foreigners holding a baccalaureate or its equivalent. Before registering, you can seek information via the following:

International & EU Office
University of Malta
Msida MSD 2080


International Admissions Office
University of Malta
Msida MSD 2080
Tel: 356 2340 2225

International & EU Office
University of Malta
Msida MSD 2080


To apply, you can contact the International & EU office. You will find a page to apply online on the University of Malta website. Applications to the courses are to be submitted by the given deadline. Among the documents to be provided are a document that could justify your finances and proof of your level of English.

Fees for the University of Malta

Besides traveling and accommodation fees, university fees vary according to the courses and the length of the program. These will vary based on your program and whether or not you're an EU/EEA national. Application fees for the University of Malta are usually very cheap. For applicants holding overseas qualifications, it is €95, or €125 for late applications (for courses that accept such applications).

Tuition fees vary depending on the course of study, ranging from three terms in the Faculty of Arts to 4 or 5 years in certain fields such as technology or engineering. For the undergraduate arts course, it is free for Maltese/EU/EEA applicants, while the fee is €8,500 for the other students in 2022. For an undergraduate science course, the tuition fee is €10,800 for non-EU and non-EEA applicants, while no fees apply for the local, EU and EEA students.

It is possible to study in Malta for a short period of time, ranging from one semester to one academic year. In this case, you are a visiting student. You enter this category when there is no bilateral exchange agreement between the University of Malta and your home university. In this case, you register for study units at the University of Malta on a tuition fee basis. However, if your university has an exchange agreement with the University of Malta, you are an exchange student. In this case, you need to be nominated by your home university before sending your application.

The costs are high, however, ranging from 900 to 5,400 euros for a semester.

For the financing of studies, one can go through the Erasmus program to obtain a grant. Other scholarships are also available, but it is necessary to obtain information from the relevant departments or organizations in each region. In addition, you can be granted certain scholarships, depending on the country and the course of study.

Other universities, schools and colleges in Malta

Although the University of Malta is the only public university in the country, there are many private universities and schools that may be of interest. MCAST (Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology) is the most comprehensive school in Malta. It has a number of departments ranging from business to maritime studies and arts and technology. The American University of Malta is a private university with an American style located in Bormla (Cospicua). The Institute of Tourism Studies is specialized in degrees related to tourism and hospitality.

Other private higher education institutions include:

  • Eurocentres (language school),
  • Transcontinental Institution of Higher Education (graduate business programs),
  • STC Higher Education (computing and business courses),
  • Learnkey Training institute (English, Business Administration, Computing, Engineering, Health and Social Care, Tourism & Hospitality, etc.)
  • United Campus of Malta,
  • AM Language Studio,
  • Gateway School of English,
  • EEC-ITIS Malta Tourism and Languages Institute,
  • The London School of Commerce Malta,
  • Clubclass English Language School,
  • Queen Mary University of Medicine and Dentistry,
  • Malta Lingua.

Student life in Malta

More and more young people are choosing to study in a sunny country with a pleasant climate.

Student life in Malta is very pleasant. Its Mediterranean climate offers over 300 sunny days per year. Students like to go to the beaches during their free time. If you like history, Malta also has a lot to offer, like Megalithic Temples, Baroque churches and fortified cities built by the Knights!

Malta is a good place to enjoy student life. The University of Malta, as well as other colleges and schools, are located very close to Sliema and Saint Julian's. Both cities are known for their numerous restaurants, bars and coffee shops. Saint Julian's is home to Paceville, the nightlife hub of Malta. Malta may be small, but it has a lot to offer to the students.

Malta is strategically located in the heart of the Mediterranean sea, between Sicily and Tunisia. From the Malta International Airport, a lot of cheap flights are available to a wide range of destinations. Studying in Malta allows students to travel and explore Europe during their holidays. It is a good plan for students coming from outside the European Union, as their visa to Malta and eResidence card give them the right to travel freely inside the Schengen Area.

Regarding the accommodation, you can rent one of the rooms in the university residence, located just over 3 km from the University Campus. A free bus service, connecting the residence to the university, runs on a regular basis. Depending on your course of study, the rent will differ, but everything is designed to help you in your daily life. Secure accommodation, laundry service and catering are among the advantages of this type of accommodation. If the University of Malta has accommodation for a number of students, it is quite easy to find somewhere to live in Malta, rent is not very expensive and you will certainly enjoy sharing a house near the sea with other students! Expect to pay between 250 and 500 euros per month for shared accommodation and about 250 euros for food.

Wherever you are staying in Malta, you will find all amenities nearby: groceries, pharmacies, shops, buses, etc. Also, note that the public hospital of Malta Mater Dei is located next to the University.

Finally, don't forget to contact the students' associations and societies in Malta. Some are open to all students, whereas others are specialized in a discipline. Here are a few examples of students' associations in Malta: the European Law Students' Association (ELSA) Malta, the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) Malta and the JEF (Young European Federalists). They often organize events that are a good opportunity to socialize and make new friends.

Useful links:

Government of Malta - University of Malta

University of Malta - Prospective students

Central Visa Unit

Government of Malta - Education Department - List of higher education institutions


American University of Malta (AUM)

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.