Qualified Secondary Teacher from UK looking to work in Malta

Hello,

I am hoping to relocate to Malta. I am currently Head of Drama and Performing Arts in a London school and looking at schools in Malta to teach. I can also teach English Language and Literature. I have been a qualified teacher for 7years.

All the roles I am looking at don't disclose salary? Does anyone have any idea how much a teachers salary is? Does it vary with state, Independent schools or International schools?

Does anyone have experience of relocating to Secondary teaching in Malta from the UK and can share information regarding Work permits/visas and will schools help you with that and how easy/difficult it was?

Many thanks for any advice.

Kim 1f60a.svg
Hello,

I am hoping to relocate to Malta. I am currently Head of Drama and Performing Arts in a London school and looking at schools in Malta to teach. I can also teach English Language and Literature. I have been a qualified teacher for 7years.

All the roles I am looking at don't disclose salary? Does anyone have any idea how much a teachers salary is? Does it vary with state, Independent schools or International schools?

Does anyone have experience of relocating to Secondary teaching in Malta from the UK and can share information regarding Work permits/visas and will schools help you with that and how easy/difficult it was?

Kim 1f60a.svg
- @Kimchat

Monthly Average
A person working as a Secondary School Teacher in Malta typically earns around 3,670 EUR per month. Salaries range from 1,840 EUR (lowest) to 5,700 EUR (highest).

Yearly Average
A person working as a Secondary School Teacher in Malta typically earns around 44,100 EUR per year. Salaries range from 22,000 EUR (lowest) to 68,300 EUR (highest).

@Kimchat

Being able to speak Maltese would be an advantage.
@SimCityAT I also found this exact reference online but when I dug a bit deeper it didn't appear to be that much?

Do you have experience teaching in Malta? Was this a real reflection of pay?

Thanks,

Kim
@SimCityAT I also found this exact reference online but when I dug a bit deeper it didn't appear to be that much?

Do you have experience teaching in Malta? Was this a real reflection of pay?

Thanks,

Kim
- @Kimchat

Sorry I don't. Regarding salary these are average wages. To get better idea,. I would have a look at (TES) Times Education Suppliment where they advertise jobs.
Hello,

Kim 1f60a.svg
- @Kimchat

If you want to work as a teacher with the Maltese public service a normal requirement is the knowledge of the Maltese language. However, we have a lot  of private English language schools over here too.
Ten years ago I attended one of them. Do not expect to get a salary like in government schools at all. The normal salary is € 2000.00 gross per months. If you want to know more details contact the principal of one of these language schools. I attended EF school, but there are many other schools as well. Just have a look at the Malta Yellow Pages and look for English language schools. As the standard of living in Malta is below the UK expect also a lower salary over here, 
You can expect a max gross salary of around 30k as a full time teacher. Not great but you can always supplement it with part time work.
@lambada Hey. Thank you.. what sort of school would this salary be in? State? Independent? International?

Many thanks
That would be international or maybe independent. Church/State schools pay the same salaries. You can see their collective agreements here:

Thank you. It's so low in comparison to the UK,I'm so shocked. I'm trying to think why as the cost of living in Malta isn't so low?

Is it much less work/hours?

Wondering if an additional tutor job  could bump it up?
Teachers are severely underpaid and under appreciated here. Keep in mind that you would also need a warrant to practise as a teacher here. Not sure what that would entail. Hours are the same as UK as far as I know although you do get more holidays. There's roughly 3 months of holidays in summer, 2 weeks at Christmas and Easter then about 2 days of mid term holidays per term.

You can do part time work at a performing arts school like Stagecoach or at an EFL school like EF or EC.

Unless you have someone to share accommodation costs with, you can't live comfortably on a teacher's salary here.
Wow this is really disappointing news!

I thought private/International schools would pay a decent salary.

When you say warrant? Do you mean the workers permit? I have registered QTS (qualified teaching status) in the UK ,and a degree and a masters ,would a warrant be something difficult to get?

Are you a teacher yourself?

Thanks for all your responses
There aren't many jobs that pay a good enough salary which allows the jobholder to live decently without sharing expenses.

A warrant is a kind of permit that one needs to teach in compulsory education institutions. You can find more details here https://education.gov.mt/en/teachingpro … Malta.aspx

I imagine that it would be possible for you to obtain a warrant given your education and experience but you may need to jump through a few hoops.

No, I'm not a teacher myself.

Sorry for the disappointing news...unfortunately, Malta's salaries aren't the best.
Thank you. It's so low in comparison to the UK,I'm so shocked. I'm trying to think why as the cost of living in Malta isn't so low?

- @Kimchat

Have you visited Malta, if not it would be a good idea before you try to work here.

- @Kimchat

The average per head income in the UK is $ 47 000, in Malta it is $ 33 000. Disregarding the discussion whether a teacher is under or overpaid just expect  a payment  of $14 000 less per year than in the UK.
Also in this country money is not growing on trees and people who work in the public service are being paid by the taxpayer.
Sorry have I offended you in some way? I don't think money grows on trees in any country. Teachers work extremely hard and do a really crucial job. it should be a respected profession and the salary should reflect this.

I am also probably not looking to work in the public sector. I am looking more to work in an independent or international school.
@hanselmar5 Actually the average salary in Malta is around 19k so teachers have an above average salary. Yet, one surely can't live comfortably on a teacher's salary which is a shame. Same goes for nurses and other healthcare workers who do crucial work.
Sorry have I offended you in some way? I don't think money grows on trees in any country. Teachers work extremely hard and do a really crucial job. it should be a respected profession and the salary should reflect this.

I am also probably not looking to work in the public sector. I am looking more to work in an independent or international school.
- @Kimchat

I am not offended, I just want people to be realistic about salaries in this country. Do not expect too much, but check out your opportunities.
At least you were informed what to expect when you have a tariff working contract. When it comes to private employers anything is possible.
Some may offer you a payment above the tariff whilst others will pay you less.
It was mentioned this country needs nurses. Instead of paying higher wages this country decided to recruit nurses in as far as Bangladesh.
I wish you good luck with your venture. However the less you expect the less you will be disappointed. Come to Malta for a visit and see
what this country has to offer. I just checked out minimum wages, which is not applicable to teachers, but shows you the difference of income
between the UK and Malta. Example in Malta it was € 660 and in the UK  € 1483 in 2019.
In 2019 the Maltese minimum wage was € 660, whilst it was at least € 1483 in the UK.

@hanselmar5 Actually the average salary in Malta is around 19k so teachers have an above average salary. Yet, one surely can't live comfortably on a teacher's salary which is a shame. Same goes for nurses and other healthcare workers who do crucial work. - @lambada

Yes, you have to travel as far as Luxembourg to get a salary you need to meet ends. In many countries people have problems to meet ends. The way out is to have your own business or work  in a country with a higher salary and invest in a country where wages are low. This works often for Polish people who have employment in the UK or Germany and also for people from Portugal in Ireland. Many people from Malta made their fortune in Canada or Australia. After living there for over 30 years they saved enough to retire happily in Malta. You have surely a problem when you take up employment in a country where the standard of living is lower than in your home country. Imagine you would have been a guest worker in Albania or Lebanon. Therefore it is always helpful to study statistics before you make a final decision.

- @Kimchat

Without Maltese I suggest you contact the international schools on the island directly and ask them if they need. Schools like QSI etc, these do not teach Maltese or the maltese syllabus

- @Kimchat

Have you visited Malta, if not it would be a good idea before you try to work here.
- @GozoMo
@GozoMo hey. Yeah of course many,many times. And I will be here all summer.

My partner lives in Malta and my best friend.However not Maltese and both not working in Education so that's why seeking clarification.

Rest assured I am seeking all avenues of information for clarification before taking any further action.🙂
You can expect a max gross salary of around 30k as a full time teacher. Not great but you can always supplement it with part time work.
- @lambada

I think €30k as a maximum gross is a realistic figure. This advert is for an independent (private) school and lists the pay scales.

There are also vacancies here that may interest you.

@GozoMo hey. Yeah of course many,many times. And I will be here all summer.

My partner lives in Malta and my best friend.However not Maltese and both not working in Education so that's why seeking clarification.

Rest assured I am seeking all avenues of information for clarification before taking any further action.🙂
- @Kimchat

We get a lot of people come on here asking about jobs in Malta who have never been here and probably don't even know where Malta is, good luck with your search.