School in gozo

hi looking to move to gozo in the summer I have a daughter who would be starting middle school she is 11 when I messaged the school they told me she would really struggle if she didn't know maltese as the teachers are not obliged to teach in English which has really put me off so looking into private schools now does anyone know if there are any in gozo thanks

emmamullen10 wrote:

hi looking to move to gozo in the summer I have a daughter who would be starting middle school she is 11 when I messaged the school they told me she would really struggle if she didn't know maltese as the teachers are not obliged to teach in English which has really put me off so looking into private schools now does anyone know if there are any in gozo thanks

There are not any private schools in Gozo only Malta, quite surprised about not teaching in English as
I thought some of the lessons were.

Yeah I was surprised at the response as was told its all mostly English

When we had some American clients relocating to Gozo we met with the heads of the schools and they said they would always make efforts to teach in English where possible.  When I grey up here many years ago all our lessons were in fact in English.  There are alot of expat children in the schools in Gozo. Inevitably they will pick up Maltese from their friends. I am half Maltese but always grew up speaking in English. I learned Maltese from my friends.  So I would not be put off considering the schools here. They are very modern using the latest technologies, and most text books are in English.  Hope this helps.

emmamullen10 wrote:

Yeah I was surprised at the response as was told its all mostly English

The schools here are closed until September unless things change with regards to the virus.

Hi Emma thanks for your post, did you get an update on this as to whether there are any schools in Gozo teaching English. Thanks so much x

Hi is there any update or info on English in Gozo secondary school? My son will be starting hopefully this September 2022. He will be 11 then has anyone got any experience they can share with me? Thanks

fran.gozo2022 wrote:

Hi is there any update or info on English in Gozo secondary school? My son will be starting hopefully this September 2022. He will be 11 then has anyone got any experience they can share with me? Thanks

Are you living in the area?

Not yet we are moving in June to Victoria.

@paced thank you for the heads-up. Any private primary school links in Gozo. Any info on fees per year in these schools. I have a 9yr old and 4yr old.

Thank you so much

@paced thank you for the heads-up. Any private primary school links in Gozo. Any info on fees per year in these schools. I have a 9yr old and 4yr old.
Thank you so much
-@bellentpty

Are you aware private schools are very expensive?

@SimCityAT thank you for the reply. In terms of figures what would be the fees structure like. That would help. Am reading that in public schools kids mainly taught in Maltese. Looking at English Medium

@SimCityAT thank you for the reply. In terms of figures what would be the fees structure like. That would help. Am reading that in public schools kids mainly taught in Maltese. Looking at English Medium
-@bellentpty

First of please don't repeat yourself on multiple posts as some are outdated. It's best to start a fresh post with your questions.

As you have started here I shall reply and will remove your other post.

In general fees for the whole year can be as high as €10,000 a year.

There are 3 school semesters in a year. Each school is different in the way they want payment some charge an administration fee (non-returnable) from the start.

If you are only staying for a short while in the country then international schools have a benefit but if you chose to stay longer then state schools are just fine, both Maltese and English are spoken in schools.

Don't worry about children and another language, they adapt very quickly and learn accordingly. Personally, I think it is beneficial for children to learn another language(s) it helps them to integrate into the surroundings a lot more. Parents also learn as well by helping with the children's homework.

Here is a list of schools private schools > https://www.angloinfo.com/malta/directo … ooling-250

I hope this helps.

If you have further questions start a new topic.

SimCityAT

Expat Team

@SimCityAT apologies for many posts.

Thank you for this info much appreciated

Thank you so much
-@bellentpty

There are no private primary schools in Gozo.

@GozoMo thank you so much for the reply much appreciated

Regards

You will also find long waiting lists for proviate schools, so apply early if you want to go that way. Some may not have long lists but they tend to be on the top end price wise. 10 000 / year as stated earlier is nowhere near the top end unfortunately

You will also find long waiting lists for proviate schools, so apply early if you want to go that way. Some may not have long lists but they tend to be on the top end price wise. 10 000 / year as stated earlier is nowhere near the top end unfortunately
-@volcane

There are not any in Gozo where they were asking for.

@volcane thank you so much  for your response