First time visit to Bulgaria meet anyone that has made the move

Hi there,

my wife, Scholar, and I are visiting Bulgaria in the next couple of weeks for the first time with the intention of buying a permanent residential smallholding. We've got properties lined up around the Elhovo area and also the Veliko Tarnovo areas. Neither of us are beach/town people, so we're fairly confident that these places would suit. We would love the opportunity to meet anyone that has made the move to discuss life in Bg. We'll be staying in VT between the 18th June & 3rd July.

Also, we've heard having a translator is helpful, I did hear of one by the name of Villi on another posting, and another of a Welsh couple who owned a business in VT. What do you suggest?

Finally, we've read about the importance of having an independent lawyer and notary recommended by a fellow Brit, Found lots of lawyers through the web. But we have also read that many of these are also fake/unqualified etc. so would appreciate any personal recommendations in this area.

Thanks for all your help

Tony & Scholar

Hi  Tony.elt,

Welcome to expat-blog,

Please feel free to read some topics on the Bulgaria Forum, you might collect some interesting information.

Thank you,

David.

Hi Tony,

good luck in your search for a house in Bulgaria!

I personally prefer the Veliko Tyrnovo area, as it is beautiful,  quite connected with history and also provides some modern facilities that can be useful.

It is always great to have a translator, but most of the locals(or should I say the local young people) know English, so you may be able to get directions for example, but keep in mind this is not the case in small villages. You will need to use your hands and imagination there, if you want to ask for something.

You will definitely need a good lawyer and notary, if you decide to buy a house in Bulgaria. In the beginning you will need a good real estate agent and...patience, as it is possible that you will see a lot of houses before you find the one you like! If you manage to find it on your first visit to Bulgaria, let me know and I'll point to some good lawyers in Veliko Tyrnovo. And one very important advice - don't sign anything that is not in English and you don't understand even if it is provided with the most innocent smile possible ;)

Let me know, if I can help you with any advice or connections in Veliko Tyrnovo and I hope you will love Bulgaria!

Have a nice day!

Ventsislav Tomev