History Teacher interested in moving from Madrid to Malta

Hi all

My name is Sarah and I am looking to move to Malta in either September 2013 or 2014.  I am currently working as a fully qualified History teacher in an International School in Madrid with 6/7 years of teaching experience in both Spain and the UK. 
My question is whether I would stand much chance of getting a teaching post in Malta and if so what the average salary would be. 

If teaching is not really a viable option would it be an idea for me to look at a career change and if so what would be the likely work options available for someone with my working background. 

Many thanks in advance

Sarah

First thought is as a self employed Spanish/English speaking guide?
As you know the Maltese islands are steeped in history.
Second thought maybe to contact Heritage Malta?
Good luck :)

Although I have lived in Spain for 3/4 years my Spanish is fairly poor.  But thanks for your suggestions - I have already contacted Heritage Malta!

I am learning Maltese at the moment here in Madrid so that might help! 

Does anyone know of any English people who work in secondary schools in Malta or is that out of the question? 

Many thanks
Sarah:)

Hi sarah,

you can try contacting the private schools as they do teach in English. One of the best known is Verdala. But there are quite a few others.

Becoming a tour guide here in Malta won't work as they are very protective of their status and you need a licence , which you get after taking a course for two years.

The English language schools are always looking for native English speaking teachers. You would only need to take and pass the TEFL certificate to be allowed to teach.

As a EFL teacher you could earn around 10 €/hour but they only pay for actual teacher hours and not for the preparation time.

At one of the private schools you would be looking at around 14.000€/year before taxes and NI contributions.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for your quick response Ricky!

I have sent cv's to Verdala International School and also to San Andrea, San Anton, St Martins and QSI. Are there any others that you would recommend me sending CVs to? I suppose now it is just a waiting game to hope that a vacancy arises!

If anyone in Malta who reads the Sunday times sees any positions advertised that are not on the website (as I am aware that they advertise substantially more in the actual print version) I would appreciate a heads up!

Many thanks

Sarah

Are there any teaching jobs advertised in the Sunday times of Malta today that are not advertised on the website??? Would appreciate if anyone with a copy would take a quick look for me!
Thanks Sarah

Hi Sarah,

MaltaLingua is looking for EFL teachers
Savio College is looking for a Home Economics teacher and an Environmental Studies teacher
The Archbishops Seminary is looking for Primary teachers and Teacher of Graphical Communication and Design and Technology

That's it ! I'm not sure if these positions are also online.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky

None of those that you have listed were advertised online so this is a great help! 

Unfortunately after researching the schools the posts are not really suitable for me but it does prove that there is teaching work available which gives me some hope :D

I wonder whether I could ask for people to keep an eye out in the Sunday Times for me?  I know its a big ask but it would be greatly appreciated as now is about the time of year schools advertise! 

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I usually buy the Sunday Times of Malta on Sundays so I will try and remember to keep one or both eyes open for teaching jobs.

I thought they wouldn't be the kind of post your looking for but I listed them all to give you an overview.

Cheers
Ricky

best get that lycra suit out......

.........but does he really have to wear his underpants on the outside.

:P

:gloria

Hi Sarah,

Sunday May 5 th - Stella Maris College looking for a French teacher.

Nothing else.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky!

Saw one on the ETC website last week.  It was perfect but required an immediate start!  So the search continues! 

Sarah

Hi All

I wrote about coming from Madrid to Malta last year.  I am still looking to do this and I am still searching for the right teaching job.  Just a few quick questions that some of you might know the answer to!

Is there any chance that I might be considered for a job in a state school? 

Would it be easier to get a teaching job if I was already in Malta?

Thanks Sarah