Apartment in Sao Paulo -- HELP!

I've been trying to look for an affordable apartment here in Sao Paulo and so far things are looking bleak! :(

My office is near Shopping Villa-lobos so I'm looking for an apartment or flat near the area. Help please???

Hi Jackie,

Have you tried checking with one of the real estate agencies (corretor de imóveis) near Vila Lobos? Most rentals nowadays are handled by realtors. You will need lots of documents and probably have to pay rental insurance unless you know somebody in São Paulo who owns property and is willing to act as guarantor (fiador). Don't be surprised when you find out that rental contracts are for 30 months, that's required by law. If you cancel during the first year there's a contractual fine equal to the remainder of the first year's rent. After the twelfth month there is no longer a fine.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I have a relocation agent who is working with the realtor. But the apartments are going out so quickly! 30 months would be too long for me as my work contract is only for 24 months. Do you think a flat would be a better idea? Obrigado!

Hi jackieuy86

Your topic was moved to Sao Paulo Forum.

All the best :)

David

The 30 month contract is universal, it's mandated by law. You can move out anytime following the 12th month by giving notice and there is no longer a contractual fine. Don't worry about the lenght of the term.

Yes, it's very difficult to find an apartment in São Paulo they generally get taken as quickly as they are listed, but keep trying.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team