Finding Roommates in Sao Paulo

I'm currently in Brazil and will be moving permanently to Sao Paulo in May.  I decided I don't want to live by myself and wanted to find roommates.  Any advice on where I can find people to share housing or rent a room? 

My brazilian friends say this is quite uncommon. 

Cheers

Welcome to Expat-blog Reanna! :)

Your discussion has been moved to Sao Paulo forum, enabling effective network with members.

Also, you should view Sao Paulo classifieds, category - accommodation.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi Reanna!

You can add me on MSN so we can talk: [email protected]

I live in SP and but IŽd like to live in the US for some time.
I think we can share some good info.

Good luck!

Rodrigo

IŽm brazilian, 31, system analist. I searhing somenone to divide apartament or roommates in Brasil - São Paulo, I need that someone be native English because I have improving my English languague, can to teach Portuese.

Best regards,

Fábio Veiga
[email protected]
Gtalk: [email protected]
55 11 5339.5785

i want to roommates in sao paulo

i need to room in sao paulo

Hello Muhammad,

Good luck! Finding any shared accommodations anywhere in Brazil will be a difficult task indeed. Sharing accommodations has never really been popular here in Brazil, especially in São Paulo.

Are you coming to Brazil for work or for study? If you are studying here then maybe you'd have some luck finding shared accommodations through the school/university.

You are also invited to place a (free) ad in our Classifieds section for HOUSING that you can access by clicking on HOUSING in the menu you find at the top of the forum page. It will get better exposure there and remain current, unlike here in the forum where it will keep moving towards the back pages as new topics are posted.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Well, Brazilians are not much into the Roomate culture as we have Stateside. And dealing with them and expecting sharing the house chores workload, good luck.   

Having said that, I would seek through the local university campus, I recall they still post these solicitations. 

Yet, you might need to get along with more mature people, I surmise. Then....

A good way to avoid the "roomate from hell" syndrome is to board with a retiree type of person. Most of them, if neat, can provide you with a lower cost rent alternative in exchange for services and cash ( Granny loves the extra income ).

You know, taking granny to the medical office, helping her with groceries, giving her some free lessosn,  those sort of things.  Those arrangements, if you endear to that person, tend to last longer. \

Unless Granny lives with Grandpa, skip it.  You never know if you luck out with a leecherous old man. Well, not so much of a possibility, Brazilian men have their outlets, if you know what I mean.

A way to score that is to get into buildings that have lots of these elderly  folks.  For instance, if a building has a swimming pool, playground those sort of things, you will not find these folks that often.  You should concentrate on buildings that are old and well kept.

Most of these buildings might 've been built around the 70's and you can tell them apart by the type of windows ( Large and Squarish with loads of tiny tiles at the stucco ).

At least in Sao Paulo, the new golden age demographics is going towards downtown,  precisely on the areas that are drawing young folk, in neighborhoods such as Higienipolis, Vila Buarque, Santa Cecilia, Bom Retiro, Campos Eliseos, ocasionally Bela Vista, surprisingly Cambuci, Aclimacao, Mooca ( don't blame me if you start develop a Brazilian Goombah type of accent with mismatch of nouns and verbs ),  Vila Prudente, Santana, Saude ( you can score lots of  Nisseis and Sanseis out there ).

Avoid Morumbi, and anything accross the Pinheiros River.

And by all means, if sonny lives with mom, skip it.