What should I look for in an apartment in a hot country?

Personally, being a canadian in norway, when I inspect an apartment I look for good insulation, multi-paned windows, and good doors to keep the heat in.

So moving to a place here there's too much heat is totally new to me! I've heard people mention which way my windows face and what surrounds the building matters...I am worried I may melt in the summer hear, so what should I look for (apart from AC ;-)?

I've also never lived anywhere where earthquakes are a possibility. I guess apartments lower to the ground are better? suggestions?

Thanks,
Kes (moving Feb 18th!)

Hi Kes,

look forward to meeting you here in Malta.

You will melt in the summer and freeze in January and Febuary - that is the mediteranean flair with or without AC!

So what to consider:

AC - ok but very expensive to run so try to avoid having to use it.

Use a de-humidifier in the winter - it will feel warmer.

Avoid a penthouse even if they usually look great and have nice views.

Avoid large windows facing south or southwest.

Look for a shady balcony or terrace if you want to use them during the day.

Look for appartments low down in the building like groundfloor or first floors.It will keep it warmer in the winter too if you have appartments above and next to yours.

Make sure you can get some fresh air in during the night and early morning by being able to open windows (even better with moskito mesh)

Maltese townhouses are fairly dark and have high ceilings which helps keep them cool.

Double-glazed windows are very good to keep noise out but it is more important to keep the sun out.

As most rentals in Malta are furnished you always have the option of moving to a cooler place if you don't have too much stuff to move around.

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Just read your post, good advice for a flat.  I am planning on coming over in April and initially rent for six months. I have now booked my flight from US to UK end March.  Can you compare the Maltese summer to a Florida summer?  I hate a/c and am wondering if I can manage without it.  I am used to heat and humidity and am thinking I can, therefore, tolerate the Med heat without a/c.  Or am I living in a fantasy?  Hot is hot!!!

Hi,

if you can take the Florida heat (and humidity)without a/c you will have no problem here in Malta ( unless you have a top-floor penthouse with the sun shining on your roof all day).

You will find Malta very pleasant most of the time , even when temperatures top 35 °.Usually there is a bit of a breeze and the sea keeps the temperature down a bit until late summer(sea never gets warmer than 27 ° by end of summer).

We only used our a/c in the bedroom on one or two days last summer.

So look for a place to avoid the sun and not a place with the best view!You will do fine.

Just wait until August before deciding on a new place.Then you can judge the situation in any new appartment.

Regards
Ricky

PS We are moving to a new place in Sliema in  2 months!Hope we made the right choice ourselves!

Good advice, thanks.  August is the hottest month here too!  If I can have a portable fan, I think I would be OK without the a/c.  Do the flats have ceiling fans at all?

I am planning on getting a six month let initially.  If I were to opt for a 3 month one, does it typically cost more per month or not?  How long have you been in your old place?

Yes, the longer you sign for, the cheaper it gets but between 3 and 6 months or even 12 months the difference won't be that much. It is quite a renters market at the moment.You can negotiate !

If you are coming without furniture it is easier to move as most places here in Malta come furnished.So you have to choose and like the furniture too.

We rented a older townhouse with high ceilings and small yard which stays quite cool in the summer.We had intended to stay in the house longer but our landlord decided he wanted to try and sell it and he would give us at least 4 months notice.Obviously he thinks he can keep sending people to look at the place and keep taking our rent.He doesn't know yet that we have already found a new home.From neighbours we heard that he has been trying to sell for 10 years but is asking far too much.Prices in Malta are much too high but nobody goes down with the price.

We just got a quote to move our furniture within Sliema.it is 350 € which seems very reasonable.We have quite a bit !

Some places have ceiling fans but most people use big portable fans or ones you can attach to the wall.

Ricky

My experience so far with looking at renting vs buying totally agrees with you assessment Ricky - the purchase prices are not reflective of the current market state. We'll be renting as a result (as long as we can find someone who will accept a cat, but as you said, it's a renters market).

Good luck with your new home!

We have a cat too ! Came from the US with us to Malta.

It was no problem with our new landlord and no problem in our old place!

If you need some advice on the best clumping cat litter and where to get it ask when you are here.We tried just about every brand available in Malta(all supposed to be clumping) before finding our present choice that works perfect.

Long-hair cats get a haircut in Spring!Helps them stay cool if
they have a naked belly.Looks a bit weird but it grows back by the next winter.

Don't trust any properties you see online!Our townhouse is still listed with Dahlia although we have been in here for 16 months.Our agent confirmed that no one updates the offers that are placed online.They don't even know themselves if a place has already been rented out. All agents list the same properties.When I talked to one guy he had to call the owner in each case to find out and the ones I liked where not available.

In the end you just have to ask what is really available when you need it.Just take the offers as a guideline.

Ricky

Thanks, that's good advice.  I was looking online, but had decided to wait until I get over there, which wom't be till mid or end of April.  Are the online prices much different from the truth?  If so, I guess it is good it's a renters' market.  Is there much difference between agencies?  Are there any coastal areas of Malta you would definitely NOT recommend?  I will be on my own so I want to be safe, also fairly quiet, yet convenient for amenities as I won't have a car.  No pets, unfortunately I am leaving my cat behind in the US - but she is going to my neighbour, so she will have a good home.

You can take the online examples as what has been on the market and the prices are accurat but negotiable (especially if you intend to stay longer).

Most properties are offered by all agencies which explains why no ones knows the exact status and has to call the owner if you ask for a specific property you saw online or even in the agency window here in Malta!

I can recommend two or three agents that gave a good service if you want.

Tell them what you want and they will set up a list of places and drive you around to look at them.

Fee is always 1/2 a months rent for each of you and the owner plus one months rent as safety deposit payable in cash when you sign the lease.Utilities usually stay in the name of the owner and you pay a monthly amount or he passes the bill on to you when he gets one.TV and phone is the same.

My advice is always somewhere in the St.Julians/Sliema area if you are looking for all amenities and want to be close to the action and to get around easy but it will depend on where you work. And if you are looking for an active expat community.

It is safe everywhere and quiet depends on the street you live in, especially during the rush hours streets can be very loud.

Ricky

Thanks Ricky,

I will be in touch again when it gets closer to the time.