Question about the Austrian medical card (E-Card)..

Hi i read an article online a while back about a little known fact regarding the Austrian E-Card.

I remember the article said that if you have been paying into the healthcare system for 2 or more years that one can request to get all the blank dots on the back of the card filled in with numbers so that should you travel outside of Austria but within the EU, and find yourself needing mediacal care, your E-Card would be accepted outside of Austria.

Can someone please shed light on this ? I am in my second year and would like to get the card changed to reflect this reality.

Cheers
1on1

I didn't know this, but would also be interested in finding out more!

yea..its a little known fact that come in handy in a big way..thats for sure. I've been trying to figure out when my e-card was issued as all the info in the back is "starred out" so there is no year you can see..obviousley the info will be in their database and i may have to call them to ask when the 2-year anniversary is and if indeed one can be covered outside of Austria, if so is it only EU wide coverage or does it go beyond EU ?
Please let me know if you find out the actual facts surrounding the e-card and i will do the same.

Cheers
1on1
PS i can only speculate that the health care system would rather you not know about this type of "extended service" for fear it might affect their bottom line