Seeking Advice for Jobs in Spain

My husband and I are considering moving to Spain after many years living in USA.
We both do not need permits as we are European Union citizens and I also hold and American passport. My Spanish is conversational but needs some improvement and his Spanish is very good. I am a finance professional with masters degree and accounting certification but perhaps I will not be able to find a job in my field prior to improving my Spanish first. Most likely, I will be teaching English or math before I find something in my field. My husband speaks several languages and he probably will be seeking jobs in the tourist industry. Can you give me your advice as to what are the best places in Spain to settle where we both have chances of finding jobs.  I know it is tough job market now but it should not be  impossible to get a job if you are a qualified professional. Many thanks.

With the financial troubles in Europe and mass unemployment I think it is not a good time to be seeking work there.

Even those with high academic qualifications are out of work.

I totally agree, the unemployment is rampant in Spain right now.

However, if you can financially survive, let's say 1 year, without working, it could be worth to try.

Specially considering you would be fluent in Spanish at the end of that year if you practise enough.

Do not go to Catalonia, though, as they also speak Catalan there.

Good luck !

I totally agree with Albertet,sensible advice.Catalonia is very
xenophobic and to work in any official high end job you would need to be proficient in both languages.
Self employed would be less of a problem but its still tough for new people ,like the rest of the world.
Mind you the black economy here is going mental.
Google some English or American schools in Spain they mostly advertise locally for jobs on a regular basis and are always looking for teachers

good luck

Hi,

Well, I would not call catalan people "xenophobic".

Simply, there are 2 official languages there, catalan and spanish.

That situation is not uncommon (Canada, Belgium...).

So if you do not pretend to learn them both, better to go to a place with only one language.

Best Regards,

Albert.

Hi,

It happends the same here in the Basque Country. We have two official languages: Spanish and Basque.

Working here in the Basque Country could not be as difficult as in other parts of Spain (South...)but anyway, you should be patient. However, I think you have an option if you speak several languages. I would try asking the embassy, asking for some orientation to people same working area.

Sorry I can`t tell more.
Good luck!

i have had my property here since 83 and after a bit you notice the difference between a Spanish national and a local xenophobe
i love them all

Hi Guys , i am looking for a job in spain for at least three months , I am a uk national however i have lived in malaysia for over 10+ years But have been back in the uk for the last 2 years .The problem i have is i have been looking after my mother who has been ill and I have been working nightshift so i can take care of her during the day and my bro looks after her at night. Although i have a home in malaysia  i really need to live in the uk to take care of her . I have a malaysian wife who is only allowed in the uk for 6 months at a time ,because i have been looking after my mother i have not been able to get a job that pays the minimum amount needed to bring my wife into the country on a spouses visa . Keeping a long story short the only way i can get her into the country is to be empolyed in a european country and prove that i worked on a legitimate basis showing pay slips etc . I know this all sounds crazy but a European worker has more rights than a British subject being part of europe.I have orginised my family to take care of my mum for three months this is the same time it would take me to bring back my wife . I am a consensus worker there is not much i have not done experience wise and i can turn my hand to anything  .If anyone can assist me in this matter i would be very obliged . I can forward full info cv etc . I also have full disclosure check and can work with children and or vulnerable adults.

Hi Scottishalex

If you don't have the language it may be difficult to get work in Spain at the moment.  Unemployment is very high.  Normally One of the most common jobs for ex pat Brits is building and that is really difficult at the moment.

It sounds like you would do most things but unless you have a private income, I would advise you find a job first before considering coming to Spain.

Good luck and hope you are soon reunited with your wife.

Sorry I replied to Scottishalex and not to you Mouintain Violet but I can't add anything to what the others have said for your situation.

Good luck

Hi - many thanks for the feedback and wishes. I found it all very useful. I guess, it is a matter of weighting up all good and bad sides about moving without a job and make a decision. I must say that traveling to so many other countries, it is not easy finding a job anywhere in the World...

[Moderated: pls register your business in the Spain business directory]

Hate to be negative and burst your bubble but forget it! Try someplace else. Spain is a basket case right now and itŽs not going to get better any time soon. Also, for Americans itŽs practically imposible to work here legally. Sorry but thatŽs the real deal.