Wimax in HCM?

Do any of the internet service providers in HCM offer a Wimax option? This would be a special router that receives their internet signal via radio waves and would not need to be hooked up to either phone or cable. I've used this in the past in a different Asian country and it worked great.

I'm asking because I live in Sky Garden (PMH) and the internet (provided by SST) is horrible here. I've been told they are the only provider for the SG complex, so I'm looking for other options.

There is something similar (wireless land line), giving you you a dial up connection. I am not sure, how that might work, with a dsl package on such a line.
Phones on such line are battery powered and quite big, always with antenna and a charger.
I am sure, a  shop can tell you if that might work.
I just would use a wifi router - usb stick, it's dirt cheap. You can run it on pre-pay or contract

Hi l3ully

the internet in vietnam IS horrible...
especially if you want to recieve foreign websites...
in the moment is a problem again with the submarine cable...

i use 2 provider... fpt and vnpt...
the most time one of them is fast...
in the moment ...useless.

if you dont use your internet for streaming a 3G usb stick would work great.. but too expensive for the voluime of streaming.

manfred

( and yes.. i like points...)

I/we also have have those 2 providers, and no problem. Wireless modems 1mbit) for travel/BU and the offices on standard 2mbit vnpt.
Possible we  have a "different internet" than in Saigon. Not sure what some people do or how or with what they attempt to archive whatever.
Apart from the odd slow lines during common business hours to international, we have no issues, not on one line in today exactly five years.

Many of the utilities in PMH are bulk contracted. I know of one guy who actually had VNPT fibre run in to his unit but t took the Ministry of Communications to waive it's big stick.

SST < http://www.sst.com.vn/ > has a very limited service area whch makes me think it is owned by the developers.

As a small company the last thing it needs is a "squeaky wheel" for a customer - they take up too much admin time.

It's not the street access to the buildings but rather the building owners who won't let VNPT put their able in the building.  actually helped my friend install the conduit through which his fibre optic cable is run.

Both VNPT and Mobiphone (cheaper) have radio InterNet in TP HCM. They both have offices on Nguyen Du (side of Main Post Office) in Quan 1.

Another alternative is satellite InterNet ... expensive though.