Choice of clinic for typhoid vaccine

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to HCMC next week and I can't get vaccinated against typhoid before I leave (the vaccine seems to have vanished from the market in Portugal). I am thus looking for a fuss-free place to do it while in HCMC.

Looking through related threads, in this forum, I've heard referenced Columbus Hospital, Victoria, and the Pasteur Institute.

Can anyone tell me where where your preference lie?

I'm just looking for a reliable clinic, and information on whether I just have to show up in the morning or if appointments need to me made.

Thank you!

Inês

You'll likely have a bit of trouble getting typhoid shots here ... not needed.

IF you are headed for the country area: Malaria (although the VN government doesn't recommend it), Rabies, Dengue and Jap Encephalitis. Actually Rabies is a risk all over - unless you carry a big stick or can throw stones.

Don't know anyone who lives here who gets Typhoid Shots although the clinics would undoubtedly be happy to take your money.

My home is in the Central Highlands where, allegedly, Malaria, Jap E and Dengue fever are endemic. The risk is dependent on your proximity to pigs and fowl.

There are cases of Dengue and Malaria in TP HCM (we have bats here) outlying areas, nothing really serious and certainly not worth getting a jab for.

In the tourist route areas Rabies is minimal.

If you stay at a hotel and you see mosquito net boxes at the head of the bed, then you know you are in a high risk area.  use Duct tape on the windows (and on holes in the nets) and spray mosquito repellent along the edge of the net.

You can get an effective, pleasant smelling repellent cream for your skin called Sophella (or similar) for VND30,000.

Hi, Inês,

I arrived in Ho Chi Minh two months ago. Here, I go to the CMI (Centre Medical International) for the vaccinations.
First, you have to take a consultation by a doctor to verify the necessary vaccinations and to plan the schedule. As Jaitch wrote, Rabies is highly recommended, then Japanese Encephalitis, but still option, and he did not mention Typhoid.

I have an assurance (Sécurité Sociale), so the cost is well covered in my case.
Don't forget your vaccination record, when you come to Vietnam.

Masashi