Cough medicine

Does anybody if you can get cough medicine/syrup anywhere i've asked in quiet a few pharmacy's in d7,d8 and they only have tablets and they arn't doing anything or would it be best going to a hospital and ask
if they sell it,
Thanks.

Ask for "si rô ho"  (si rô: sirop, French for syrup).  That's what Vietnamese call cough syrup. 

The cough syrup recommended most by doctors and can be found in all pharmacies is Prospan (from Germany).  You can see the ingredients on that link.

goldenbrown wrote:

Does anybody if you can get cough medicine/syrup anywhere i've asked in quiet a few pharmacy's in d7,d8 and they only have tablets and they arn't doing anything or would it be best going to a hospital and ask
if they sell it,
Thanks.

Yeah, go to the hospital.

It might be your heart (read below).

Usually we cough primarily for two reasons:

Either something in our lungs needs to get out, or, we have Post-Nasal Drip, and our cough reflex is being stimulated by thickening secretions running down the throat.

A decongestant and drinking fluids will help thin the secretions to their normal consistency and stop the cough.

Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) is not available here, so phenylpropanolamine is your next best choice to quiet that kind of cough.

Unfortunately, it's usually in a compound mixed with an antihistamine, which will thicken and dry the secretions, making the cough worse.

Dextromethorphan will suppress a cough, but is usually paired with an expectorant, given to promote coughing up crud from your lungs, so you only cough a more productive cough.

I have no clue what you are taking, but the fact that it's not working raises a red flag.

You could possibly have a fairly common heart condition known as Atrial Fibrillation, which sometimes causes a nagging cough because of stimulation to blood vessels and nerve receptors of the throat.

Any of the medications I've mentioned could have a negative effect on your blood pressure and heart function, so even though the risk is probably minimal, it would still be prudent to get an exam by a qualified health care practitioner.

Good luck!

I believe if its like the common cold cough, then just avoid sugar drinks like tea and coffee... Have plenty of lukewarm water... Gargle regularly...

These cough syrups are usually no good. You just need to dissolve the stuff you have clogging the wind/food pipe... Eat and drink clean and warm...

I used to have cough cold almost every winter in India... But yes, consult a doctor if you have any Sinus history. Else, no tea, coffee, beer or sugary drinks. Just warm water. :)