Thyroid medication in Vietnam

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Vietnam in a matter of weeks.  My boss out there says I can get my medication out there (Levothyroxine and Lansoprazole) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this medication is over the counter or prescription?  Also does anyone know how much this would cost?  I have searched the web and just don't seem to be able to find out!  I will be taking a 6 month supply and a letter from my GP to get it through customs.  If anyone has any information on this I would be massively grateful!  Thank you.

Hello there,
I came to Viet Nam in October with a couple of months supply of Levothyroxen. I went to a doctor here and told him about the dosage I was taking back in the US. He did a blood test to check my levels and they told me to buy Berlthyrox at the Pharmacy. It was very inexpensive. It's working fine! I would advise having your levels checked so that the doctor can tell you how much you should be taking. What city are you planning to visit? I am in Da Nang.
Good luck.
Marie

DiggerJones wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Vietnam in a matter of weeks.  My boss out there says I can get my medication out there (Levothyroxine and Lansoprazole) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this medication is over the counter or prescription?  Also does anyone know how much this would cost?  I have searched the web and just don't seem to be able to find out!  I will be taking a 6 month supply and a letter from my GP to get it through customs.  If anyone has any information on this I would be massively grateful!  Thank you.

You can buy levothyroxine over the counter here and it is very inexpensive. The largest dose I have been able to get is .100mcg though.

Thank you so much for your advice.  I will be in Ho Chi Minh city and I will also have a letter from my doctor with my dosage (that hasn't changed for years) and a recent prescription, so hopefully I will not have any problems.  Good to know its not expensive either!  I take 200mg per day which I'm sure I can get sorted by a doctor.  Thank you so much for all your help!

DiggerJones wrote:

Thank you so much for your advice.  I will be in Ho Chi Minh city and I will also have a letter from my doctor with my dosage (that hasn't changed for years) and a recent prescription, so hopefully I will not have any problems.  Good to know its not expensive either!  I take 200mg per day which I'm sure I can get sorted by a doctor.  Thank you so much for all your help!

You can just take 2 100's and it will be fine. That's is what i do and both my doctor and pharmacist back home said it is no problem.

Don't forget to take iodine. It is an essential element and is extremely important for the thyroid. Research it.

Hi I visited Vietnam last July & forgot to bring my thyroxine. I got it readily from an International health care service in Siagon at their pharmacy without a script. It was also very cheap. Less than one AUD ( 14,000VD) for a months supply!! Hope this answers your question

Do you know if your pharmacy carries NatureThroid or some other desiccated
thyroid?
Synthroid or levothyroxine is a synthetic T-4.
Thx

Please go to the Pharmacy of FAMILY MEDICAL PRACTICE in Diamond Plaza or 95 Thao Dien Dist 2 for Thryroid medication.

TINI_NEO wrote:

Please go to the Pharmacy of FAMILY MEDICAL PRACTICE in Diamond Plaza or 95 Thao Dien Dist 2 for Thryroid medication.

All these Western-style outfits always want to do their own 'evaluations' ($$$$) before recommending you go to their in-house pharmacy ($$$).

Family Medical Practice is good, but some of their doctors still try to jack up their earnings with unnecessary check-ups.

This is why Western countries often require doctors to have no business connections with pharmacies.

@thekat Hi, I know in the past I have seen desiccated thyroid that was made in Vietnam Nam, and Thailand but now that I moved to Asia I can not find details for either.

Hello roberttaymanph,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

As you may have noticed, this thread is quite old.

I invite you to start a new thread on the Ho Chi Minh City forum so that you can ask your questions.

Best of luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

[Thread closed]
Closed