OTC drugs in Hanoi

I will be well prepared in packing my required medication but to be safe would like to know I can obtain what I need incase as some medications are life threatening if a dose is missed.
I have a list from my Doctor stating which meds I take including my insulin, also I take Zolpiderm (Ambien I think it's called in America?) I also take Diazepam and Panadiene Forte (500 paracetamol/ 30 codeine) and have antibiotics which I will be taking for my time in Vietnam.
If I lose any of these medications are they available to by OTC? I am happy to see a doctor if needed tho.

Any pharmacies which are trustworthy that people could help me with would be greatly appreciated as my husband is anxious about taking me to Vietnam and I'd like to put his mind to rest.

curious33 wrote:

I will be well prepared in packing my required medication but to be safe would like to know I can obtain what I need incase as some medications are life threatening if a dose is missed.
I have a list from my Doctor stating which meds I take including my insulin, also I take Zolpiderm (Ambien I think it's called in America?) I also take Diazepam and Panadiene Forte (500 paracetamol/ 30 codeine) and have antibiotics which I will be taking for my time in Vietnam.
If I lose any of these medications are they available to by OTC? I am happy to see a doctor if needed tho.

Any pharmacies which are trustworthy that people could help me with would be greatly appreciated as my husband is anxious about taking me to Vietnam and I'd like to put his mind to rest.

You sound like a travelling chemist shop  :o 
I am sure members will answer your post soon with information or advice.

Sometimes I feel like a travelling chemist shop LOL Unfortunately you don't get much choice in what you're handed in life but I try make the most of it  :)

In Hanoi you can get in touch with the following;

* International SOS clinic
* Family Medical Practice
* French Hospital - Hanoi

These are clinics/hospitals (frequented by foreigners/ expats) with pharmacies on their premises.

As for getting the drugs OTC, I think if you have a doctor's prescription, it shouldn't be a problem. They may insist you to get checked by THEIR doctor/s once more (an excuse to put more $$ on your bill).

I suggest, get in touch with them straightaway and discuss your requirements in details. I am sure they can tell you which drugs are available OTC.

Most of the local pharmacies across Hanoi are also well equipped. However, English communication can be a deterrent, sometimes. They keep those drugs commonly prescribed by VN doctors. Most of the common drugs (e.g antibiotics, paracetamols etc.) are readily available OTC. For the sleeping pills you may need a prescription though.
Also be careful about the fake ones (drugs).

senwl wrote:

In Hanoi you can get in touch with the following;

* $$$$$ International SOS clinic
* $$$ Family Medical Practice
* $$$$$ French Hospital - Hanoi

These are clinics/hospitals (frequented by foreigners/ expats) with pharmacies on their premises.

As for getting the drugs OTC, I think if you have a doctor's prescription, it shouldn't be a problem. They may insist you to get checked by THEIR doctor/s once more (an excuse to put more $$ on your bill).

You can avoid the usual extortionate rates some foreign doctors/clinics charge.

First an explanation. Approved drugs for dispensing through VN government pharmacies are listed in a national formulary. The VN government buys these drugs at large discounts.

The dispensers - pharmacists, hospitals, etc. -  use these approved drugs and make a 'do it yourself' kit for patients comprising many pills to be taken on each occasion.

This mix equates to a Western name brand drug.

Other pharmacists supplement the discount drugs with name brand Western drugs which are imported directly from distributors overseas. They are legal but not subsidised.

Your drug requirements are likely available from:
Nha Thuoc Thanh Giang
159 Tran Quong Khai ****
Quan 1, HCM (near Hai Ba Trung @ Vo Ti Sau)

Nha Thuoc Thanh Giang
1051 Huynh Tan Phat (near Phu Thuan intersection)
Quan 7, HCM

Tel: 0916-773-003  //  0938-543-939
Hours 16.00-21.00H

Call first and confirm spelling of first address Their writing was worse than mine.

This pharmacist speaks English, French and Vietnamese.

They will fulfill by mail.

User: Cabraman of Da Lat said wrote:

Re: looking for Alprazolam xanax in vietnam
Jaitch, I was quite happy with the price  for the eyedrops, the 50,000d delivery charge and the prompt service. My g/f  ordered and paid by money transfer after they supplied their account number. I will definitely be using them again.

See: Earlier Post

@ Jaitch

OP wants to know about "OTC drugs in Hanoi" ... not in HCMC.
Suggest some pharmacy shops in Hanoi.
As OP will be travelling, getting her order "fulfilled by mail" may not be the best option in case of emergency.

senwl wrote:

... not in HCMC.
Suggest some pharmacy shops in Hanoi. As OP will be travelling, getting her order "fulfilled by mail" may not be the best option in case of emergency.

I can read.

The OP wanted drugs, and you suggested some of the highest priced sources.

The pharmacy I suggested can get them to Ha Noi in 2 days - or most other larger towns in the same time. This pharmacy can also source drugs that most other drug stores can't.

There is absolutely no legal need to see a doctor in VN if the OP is carrying a doctors prescription. Just another rip-off except the perps are wearing white coats.

Jaitch wrote:

The pharmacy I suggested can get them to Ha Noi in 2 days - or most other larger towns in the same time.

Yeah! A patient in urgent need of drugs/medication will have to wait for 2 days (?) to source them from a city more than 1000 km away. Great suggestion, indeed!

She is coming to Vietnam for the first time for tourism purpose. That's what her post sounds like. She is not a returning expat with a VN girlfriend/boyfriend to assist her through the hassles of money transfer, delayed shipment, delayed delivery etc. etc. Can anybody confirm that these things never happen in Vietnam??

There is absolutely no legal need to see a doctor in VN if the OP is carrying a doctors prescription. Just another rip-off except the perps are wearing white coats.

Everyone knows SOS, FM and French Hospital are rip-off, still when emergency strikes that's where most foreigners in Hanoi prefer to end up....and that's why/how these clinics are still there, up and running, being fed by those MNC-s in Vietnam.  In any case, service/drugs purchased from them will be covered by the patient's international medical insurance.

Of course there's no need to see a doctor in VN, but there's no harm in consulting one once as she will get to know about alternate 'combination kit(s)' of medicines readily available in Vietnam, in case her prescribed drugs are unavailable. Common sense.

@ curious33

If you want to avoid SOS/FM etc., there are at least two other pharmacies in Hanoi which I can suggest for your consideration. They keep wide range of medicines available by OTC/against any prescription.

1. Bach Mai Hospital's pharmacy
(on Giai Phong street.)
78 Giải Phóng, Phương Mai, Đống Đa, Hà Nội, Vietnam
Ph: +84 4 3868 6074

2. Duc Long Pharmacy
(in Giang Vo street, around Hanoi Hotel.)
107 D1 Trần Huy Liệu, Giảng Võ, Ba Đình, Hanoi, Vietnam
Ph: +84 4 3835 1406

You may have to request a VN person to assist you in communication.

Hope someone currently in Hanoi can suggest a few more names.

senwl wrote:

Yeah! A patient in urgent need of drugs/medication will have to wait for 2 days (?) to source them from a city more than 1000 km away. Great suggestion, indeed!

If the OP wants drugs in an emergency she likely doesn't give a damn about price.

senwl wrote:

She is not a returning expat with a VN girlfriend/boyfriend to assist her through the hassles of money transfer, delayed shipment, delayed delivery etc. etc. Can anybody confirm that these things never happen in Vietnam??

If someone can figure out how to actually GET to VN, they sure can figure out how to transfer money without knowing Vietnamese.

senwl wrote:

Everyone knows SOS, FM and French Hospital are rip-off, still when emergency strikes that's where most foreigners in Hanoi prefer to end up...

The most honest on the list you provided is FAMILY PRACTICE - the other two are simply terrible. So some less than intelligent Foreigners go sheep-like to rip-off artists. No need to continue recommending them.

senwl wrote:

In any case, service/drugs purchased from them will be covered by the patient's international medical insurance.

Most policies do NOT cover pre-existing conditions.

senwl wrote:

Of course there's no need to see a doctor in VN, but there's no harm in consulting one once as she will get to know about alternate 'combination kit(s)' of medicines readily available in Vietnam, in case her prescribed drugs are unavailable. Common sense.

The idea is to help people, not encourage crooks picking Foreigners pockets.

The pharmacy I named earlier imports drugs, legally, that are way beyond the average VNese pocket. They don't follow the VNese Formulary, as first choice, or what you call 'combination kit(s)', but will suggest the Formulary if no alternative is available.

Better to trust a foreign trained pharmacist than someone who just got their VN papers.

You would think VN is like India - it's more advanced over here.

Jaitch wrote:

If the OP wants drugs in an emergency she likely doesn't give a damn about price.

Good to see you woke up to the truth, at last!! Better late than never.
Finally it got into your head why I had suggested SOS/FM/FH in the first place. .

If someone can figure out how to actually GET to VN, they sure can figure out how to transfer money without knowing Vietnamese.

Yes, only if he/she is a seasoned backpacker bouncing around Asia from this country to that in search of "peace of mind" (whatever that means!! haha)

The most honest on the list you provided is FAMILY PRACTICE - the other two are simply terrible. So some less than intelligent Foreigners go sheep-like to rip-off artists. No need to continue recommending them.

FYI:
In those three years I spent in Hanoi, I had had direct experience with all these three clinics/hospitals, not once...many times. Family Practice (Hanoi) in Ba Dinh was just a few minutes walk from where i used to live. I went there many times and know it very well. They are good but in extremely complicated situations they ask the patients to go to SOS. It happened to couple of my foreign colleagues.

The best treatment I received (within reasonable cost) was from  the French Hospital (in Hanoi, not HCM) from a VN doctor, for a nagging orthopedic problem.
Family Medical failed to diagnose the problem and kept me on medication for almost 2/3 months. Yeah, sort of a returning customer for FP, you may say.

SOS is pricey and a definite rip-off. Yet they have the most modern facilities, prompt service, some (not all) qualified Western doctors, and an updated in-house pharmacy. Located off Xuan Dieu, the prime foreigners' area, it is the FIRST CHOICE for all foreigners (especially, the newbies) living around Tay Ho, in case of emergency.

No one is recommending SOS to her here. Finally it's her decision.

The idea is to help people, not encourage crooks picking Foreigners pockets.

Exactly.... ONLY "in an emergency she likely doesn't give a damn about price[/color][/b]". That says it all.

One must let her know all the possible options she will have over there in case of emergency.
Keeping someone in the dark about something is definitely not a big 'help' either.

Better to trust a foreign trained pharmacist than someone who just got their VN papers ..... - it's more advanced over here.

LOL!!
Joke of the day, Jaitch!! Didn't expect it from you though!

Feel sorry for my VN friends....Hope NOW they understand what people really mean by "advancement" and learn to stand on their feet and believe in their ability.....rather than leaning on foreign shoulders, dreaming the foreign dreams and opening the country and its economy to foreign plunder.... be it GM crops or TPP or Education etc etc. etc.

"it's more advanced over here." ...because...."Better to trust a foreign trained pharmacist than someone who just got their [b]VN papers[/b]."

In the end, this is how they get ridiculed by foreigners for their "advancements".
Feel really sad for those nice, hard working, intelligent and resourceful people in Vietnam, actually. I still believe they love Vietnam for the sake of Vietnam.

:offtopic:
Don't worry for India and Indians.
Mr. Cameron is looking for an Indian/Asian successor these days. Did you hear that?? LOL.

senwl wrote:

Finally it got into your head why I had suggested SOS/FM/FH in the first place.

You suggested going to these white coated Foreign crooks. You can get medicine without getting gouged for an examination (USD$75) or paying OTC (Over The Top) for common drugs. Many VNese pharmacists, especially in the vicinity of any large hospital, carries a wide range of drugs - not just the $OTC's.

Yes, only if he/she is a seasoned backpacker bouncing around Asia from this country to that in search of "peace of mind" (whatever that means!! haha)

What a load of Tosh - transferring money is no harder than depositing money. It is required, by law, for amounts over USD$3,500 equivalent. The money is transferred as you wait, the recipient is notified by SMS or FAX. This pharmacy dispatches within an hour and the goods are almost anywhere in VN within 2 days and one day in other major centres - 2 days max.

The best treatment I received (within reasonable cost) was from  the French Hospital (in Hanoi, not HCM) from a VN doctor, for a nagging orthopedic problem.

Family Practice, for both the sake of a patient and it's own practice standards refers patients to hospitals due to, as you admitted, "extremely complicated situations", for which they don't have equipment whereas SOS will take anything, regardless of clinic limitations and patient risk, so they make the dollars. I would rather go to the hospital than risk injury from medical cowboys.

No one is recommending SOS to her here. Finally it's her decision.

Funny, I could have sworn you post Yesterday @18:14:26 (system time)

Better to trust a foreign trained pharmacist than someone who just got their VN papers .

The pharmacists who handle mailed medicines were all trained in France, and one has just returned from another qualification upgrade. They are also familiar with drugs not listed in the VietNam Formulary.

Jaitch wrote:
senwl wrote:

Finally it got into your head why I had suggested SOS/FM/FH in the first place.

You can get medicine without getting gouged for an examination (USD$75) or paying OTC (Over The Top) for common drugs. Many VNese pharmacists, especially in the vicinity of any large hospital, carries a wide range of drugs - not just the $OTC's.

Read my previous posts carefully, before shouting :

senwl Yesterday 16:44:26 System Time

Most of the local pharmacies across Hanoi are also well equipped. However, English communication can be a deterrent, sometimes. They keep those drugs commonly prescribed by VN doctors. Most of the common drugs (e.g antibiotics, paracetamols etc.) are readily available OTC. For the sleeping pills you may need a prescription though.

senwl Today 04:22:28 System Time

@ curious33

..there are at least two other pharmacies in Hanoi which I can suggest for your consideration. They keep wide range of medicines available by OTC/against any prescription.

1. Bach Mai Hospital's pharmacy
(on Giai Phong street.)
78 Giải Phóng, Phương Mai, Đống Đa, Hà Nội, Vietnam
Ph: +84 4 3868 6074

2. Duc Long Pharmacy
(in Giang Vo street, around Hanoi Hotel.)
107 D1 Trần Huy Liệu, Giảng Võ, Ba Đình, Hanoi, Vietnam
Ph: +84 4 3835 1406

Hope someone currently in Hanoi can suggest a few more names.

I went to these pharmacies a few times. They are well equipped.

Why don't you add a few more names (pharmacies) from Hanoi?? That would help her for sure.

Seems all people up there are dying without meds unless they can source them from your shops in HCM. Funny!!

I could have sworn you post Yesterday @18:14:26 (system time)

Asking someone to get in touch with 'them' (not SOS only) to discuss her requirements in 'details', including whether she can obtain the drugs without visiting a doctor etc. is NOT a recommendation.
I am sure she is wise enough to evaluate the pros n cons of all possibilities/options available in Hanoi/Vietnam.

The pharmacists who handle mailed medicines were all trained in France, and one has just returned from another qualification upgrade. They are also familiar with drugs not listed in the VietNam Formulary.

How do you know such 'foreign trained' and 'qualified' pharmacists are NOT available in Hanoi....only available in your shops down there?? Utter ignorance!!

Hello,

Can we please calm down here, you are going off topic and it is not helping the initiator .  :nothappy:

It should be noted that everyone can share information here as from the time that this information is useful to the initiator, is legal and complies with the Expat.com rules.

Thank you

Priscilla

Thanks for saying something to get back on track!

Back on track :Zolpidem and Diazepam are not sold over the counter anymore (you might find a pharmacy that will do so but for an exorbitant price). You are better off going to a public hospital (even provincial hospitals of smaller cities will have them). For some reason the locally manufactured Zoplicone is still sold over the counter for 25000 a pack. Don't buy them in pharmacies in tourist areas, like the old quarters of Hanoi, they charge 100000 for the exact same thing.