Considering the move - many questions

Hi there, I am considering taking a role with a multinational in Dammam,Saudi but living in Bahrain.

I am weighing up a package but am struggling to get a simple idea of costs from the many websites and forums and would like some simple answers if possible.

We are a middle aged couple mid 40's & 50's with no children. We currently live a comfortable but not lavish life style in a major Australian city and want an idea of some major expenses as the package is a basic one where I am responsible for all costs.

Monthly salary USD10,000. no accomodation,health, car or return flights. This is similar to my Australian salary except the aussie one is taxed.

What could I expect to pay on a monthly basis for the following?

1. 3 bdr villa and apartment in good location suitable for commuting to Saudi but handy to facilities etc for my wife ?

2. lease on a average large sedan - ie Honda Accord

3. Health insurance for both of us

4. Approx utilities per month

Is this a decent middle class salary for a western expat? Not looking to make squillions but to save a bit and get ahead. We do enjoy getting out but are not into the designer shopping, flashy restaurant scene - just an average middle class couple.

Any issues or problems I should be aware of re working in Saudi/living in Bahrain?

Any advice anyone can give is appreciated. I know everyone is different and has different expectations but any indication would be useful.

Many thx

Any help

Hello Inshalla.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can take a look on the other threads on Cost of living on the Bahrain forum.

Maybe you can post your questions related to Saudi on the Saudi Arabia forum. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi ... Here are the answers to some your questions; I hope it helps :)

Inshalla wrote:

What could I expect to pay on a monthly basis for the following?

1. 3 bdr villa and apartment in good location suitable for commuting to Saudi but handy to facilities etc for my wife ?
The average range for a decent 3bdr appartment is 600-800BD per Month, most of the times its inclusive of all utilities. Seef, Saar or Janabyia are good areas for easy commuting to Saudi.

2. lease on a average large sedan - ie Honda Accord
Nissan Altima and Toyota Camry are very popular for rental here, and it would cost you something like 200-250BD per Month depending on the Model; the older the cheaper.

3. Health insurance for both of us
I don't really know about that, as its part of my contract.

4. Approx utilities per month
Usually its included in the rent.

Is this a decent middle class salary for a western expat? Not looking to make squillions but to save a bit and get ahead. We do enjoy getting out but are not into the designer shopping, flashy restaurant scene - just an average middle class couple.
It is a decent salary, and you would be able to make some good savings as well.

Any issues or problems I should be aware of re working in Saudi/living in Bahrain?
You just have to get used to driving daily to and from Saudi and bear with the traffic at the causeway, specially on weekends

The salary you specified is a very good salary in Bahrain. Based on what you describe, expect saving at least 40% of it - if not more. Health insurance usually comes as part of a contract but if not, I'm sure the HR you have been dealing with will help you. You can contact one of the banks in Bahrain such as HSBC and get their Premier account - they will help you with all your financial questions.