American family and local French schools

Hello everyone,

I am hoping a parent or someone with experience with the local school system in Brussels can provide some guidance.  It appears that if you are an American in Brussels it's assumed that you can afford to put your children in an international school.  We, evidently, are the exception.  I'm currently negotiating with my international company for a position in Brussels.  The position will not pay me enough to put both of my kids in international school so we will have to put our two daughters (5th and 3rd grades US) into a local school.  How can we find out what local schools would be best suited to cater to the needs of my kids?  The oldest speaks and reads French fluently, whereas the youngest understands French but speaks it enough to get by and reads it even less.  Neither know French grammar rules nor spelling.  How do I go about finding out which school could help them?  They are "A" students who excel in their respective grade.  My oldest is even an entire grade advanced in mathematics.  Any assistance would be helpful.  We are looking at Ixelles, Uccle, WSL, and WSP. We will not have a car for a least several months if this move works out.

Bien a vous,
N

About to write you a PM

Here are the regulations for home schooling, if you're going to do it in Wallonie or Brussels, or you can go under the Flemish system rules in Brussels too.

Your 5th grader, under the French system, would be required to take the CEB at age 12, so do be aware of this, by the time she is 14, will probably be required to do the CE1D too (my god it is quite hard to pass for French first language) plus you will be inspected regularly.
http://www.enseignement.be/index.php?page=26100

Interesting proposition as my kids were homeschooled until recently.  Thanks for the post and the requirements.  What towns have schools that are conducive for non-native French-learners?

Thanks
N-

Hello N,

We are potentially in the same position, though my kids are slightly younger--almost 5 and almost 2. We cannot afford two private school tuitions (we just went through all of this in New York City!),  plus I would prefer my kids actually be at a local school and learn a language. My older son is currently in a French-immersion kindergarten, but he is really just getting introduced to the language at this point.

If you received any helpful information, I would love to hear it also. Or...schoolmum??

Many thanks,
Elisabeth

Just look at where work is, look at rentals on immoweb in areas good for a commute to work, look at the schools map here and identify all the local schools in the area where you'd like to live and contact them all. Try and secure places in a minimum of 2 schools.

https://batchgeo.com/map/1f1bf2b3b6e4ad … a57d56a826

Hi Elisabeth,

All I can say is that it takes perseverance and courage to simply ask all questions that come to mind. 

We've called schools during their workday to inquire about openings.  They've been helpful and friendly.

I've discovered that there really isn't a 'school bus' system as we have here in the States.  Hence, unless you have a car readily available, it appears that your primary mode of transportation will be public transportation.  You will then want to be sensitive to schools near trams, metro, bus stops, and will be commuter friendly from home or work.

We'll be there in a few weeks, so we'll get a chance to learn firsthand, too.

If you don't mind me asking will you be working, your spouse, or both?  Either way, do you know the location or area of town where you will be?  You should begin your odyssey from there.

Wish you well.

N

N, I'm impressed you even know the right questions to ask! Is one of you native French speaking (or at least very fluent)? I speak French but I am very rusty, and I would be pretty intimidated to start calling schools. I suppose we may have to get there though.

We would be moving for my husband's job. I currently work, so that is something I would have to figure out.

I'll keep an eye on this post in case of more developments.

Best of luck!
Elisabeth