French speaking schools in Flanders

Hi all

We are looking to move to Brussels and would like to enroll my son into a local school when he turns 3. Does anyone know if there are any local French schools in Wezembeek-Oppem, Kraainem or Sterrebeek? Commuting and costs mean that we are more likely to be able to afford a property in these areas and I know these are in Flanders which is Flemish but I'm would prefer to send my son to a French school as my husband and I are learning French as well. This move is for 3-6 years so not permanent unfortunately and French is offered in most schools in England so he could continue learning even after we leave Brussels.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Toni

A search would have brought you  the answer.

The only French schools in Flanders are fondamentale (2.5 - 12) in the communes / gemeenten along the language border designated "facility" communes. To access these schools, you have to sign a document to say your home language is French, so you have to lie to access these schools.

There are 3 fondamentales in Wezembeek-Oppem, la Fermette, Notre Dame de la Trinite and St Georges. There is 1 fondamentale in Kraainem, Diabolo. To access these 4 schools, you must be resident in one of the 6 French facility communes around Brussels, but in reality, you will be resident in Kraainem or Wezembeek to access these 4 schools.

Be aware all 4 schools place a high emphasis and increased classroom time into the learning of Dutch.

Be aware none of the 4 schools is allowed to offer extra help with French, as you have signed a document stating French is your home language .The nearby Brussels fondamentales have such high numbers of non French speakers that in primaire, they can offer help with French, typically 2 to 5 hours a week small group or individual tuition in French for non francophones.

Sterrebeek is a part of the gemeente of Zaventem and this gemeente does not have facility status, so the nearest French schools are in Evere, WSL and WSP.

Thank you for your response. I must not be searching with the correct key words as I have struggled to find this information.

Do you know if you have to live within a certain area to send a child to a school in that area? For example, if we live just within Kraainem, could we send our son to a school in WSP or WSL?

Thanks

As I already stated, you must live practically in Kraainem or Wezembeek to access the 4 facility commune French fondamentales in Kraainem and Wezembeek.

No other restrictions.