How to improve the directory?

Hi everybody,

Could you please let me know how we could improve the directory?

I've got few ideas:

> we should add another level in the navigation, with cities and regions. So we'll get Zone > Country > City (or region)

> we definitely need a report system, to report broken links, etc ...

> we should print the last post date (that's a little bit more complicated but it could be really useful)

> we should classify the blogs (active, unactive)

> maybe we could add tags to every blog? this way we could improve the navigation

> we should add a vote system. We should promote good blogs! 

What do you think?

Every idea / suggestion is welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Dumb question...what do you mean by a tag...- family, home improvement, political, photoblog, that kind of thing?

Blogger does a "featured blog" ....?

oreneta wrote:

what do you mean by a tag...- family, home improvement, political, photoblog, that kind of thing?

exactly!

Blogger does a "featured blog" ....?

I don't know that option. Where can I see an example?

Sorry Julien, it's "Blogs of note", It is simply a link up in the tool bar, you can see it here:
https://www.blogger.com/start

They also have a chached list of past blogs of note, but as their traffic is exponentially higher, you may not want to do that here, or you will have a fairly high percentage noted in a year or so....I think they update every month...

The first one being done, maybe the active/inactive can be next ;)
From there, could be easier to report broken links...

Julien,

It seems that there should be some automatic system that updates the zone, country and region/ city once a new blog is added, or it is at least done manually.  I know my recently added blog, that is based in Xi'an, has not been added to the present 14 China destinations- there are probably a few more in the same situation. I would think, before anything else fancy is added to Expat.com, that making it easy for people to find blogs in the area they want to travel is most important.

Good luck and thanks,

Richard

Thanks for your suggestion Richard, at the moment I don't know how to make it automatic, but we'll soon add 1,000 more destinations on the website ;)

Julien,

I added a further note on this issue to the post 'How to Update the Detinations?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Julien,
One thing  might be helpful for people like me who have lived most of their lives in other countries but now find themselves "back home" but still feeling like expats:

to have a "former expat" category at signup.

Are we or aren't we expats when we've returned "home"? We still feel like expats, but sort of aren't. Hey, maybe that's an idea for a blog?
Jean Grant

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR