ETC work permit policy for third-country nationals

Hi all,

today I was informed about the ETC policy of not extending work permits for third-country nationals for more than 4 years. This is to make sure that the 5 year residency condition for permanent residency or citizenship cannot be reached. That means that after 4 years the person just has to leave Malta for at least 6 months before being able to re-apply for a work permit which of course means that the clock starts new !

I would be greatful for information as to this procedure and whether there are exceptions to this policy or ways of dealing with the condition. Thanks.

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky

Thanks for the update, are you able to clarify where exactly you got this information from and possibly some links to it if there are any online?

And for clarification what is ETC abbreviated from?

Many thanks

Hi Eagle,

ETC stands for 'Employment and Training Corporation' and is the government department dealing with work permits,jobs and training in general. For EU or Non-EU citizens.

The information is from someone who is dealing with the situation at the moment so I am waiting to hear about the outcome myself and have to keep the details confidential.The info about the ETC policy of limited work permits for a maximum of 4 years is from the ETC itself.

There is a post about the situation and the different kinds of residence permits involved on

www.an-american-in-malta.com

I'll keep updating as soon as I hear of new infos.

Regards

Ricky

I'm really interested to hear the outcome of this too! Is it an official policy, or an unnofficial one? Is it the kind of thing that can be worked around somehow? I don't want to bring it up with my employer unless it's going to be a problem, but if it is I'd like to know before it comes up!

Hi ,

I'll keep this thread updated but have not heard back our contact who is fighting this 'unofficial' regulation. It does only count for 'third-country national ie non-EU though.Anybody from the EU has the same rights as a Maltese citizen.
I also don't know yet if there is a
'work-around' but knowing Malta !
As soon as I have more information I will post it here .

Regards

Ricky

hey there as far as I know ETC might still issue your work permit but when you go to castille for your resident permit there will be rejected. And this came directly from the director at the citizenship and expatriate affairs at the castille last year. I was shocked that he actually spelt it out as it was more of an unspoken policy in the last 2 years or so. So I am not sure if maybe now they've decided to even reject ETC applications beyond 4 years. Please let me know about how the situation evolved as I will be in that situation myself in some time

Hi,

The person mentioned could not resolve the work permit issue but luckily found a good job elsewhere and left the island.

It is all unofficial but probably works at ETC and at Castille.The intention is to make sure that no one can apply for permanent residency on the ground of being in Malta for 5 years.So they stop you from staying for 5 years.If you get your temporary residence permit because of a work permit they will not extend it after 3 years ( or 4 years - there seem to be different cases).
That leaves you trying to extend your residence permit without a work permit if you want to stay.And Castille is becoming very restrictive against 3 rd country nationals.
What I can say is make sure that all your papers are up-to-date - that you have valid health insurance and that you do not let any permits/visas expire.They will be looking for reasons to deny your application.
And make sure you know the appropriate regulations und procedures.They do tend to come up with their own interpretations.

Hi guys,I am a third country national and I've just fallen victim to this issue. ETC didn't give any reasons for the refusal to grant me an extension for my work permit but from your comments above, I'm beginning to understand why. I've worked in Malta for 2&1/2 years and if they granted me a permit this time, it would have been taking me to 3& 1/2 years.

Anyway, I've decided that I'll go home.I've been paying FSS and Social Security Contributions. Is there any form of tax reclaim I can make?

nellej

man am of aview that letting it go will not help,i understand the struggles you are going thru but men fight,hustle
we all left our country to seek something better,
if  possible move in to the next country ,dont let it go

geosem wrote:

man am of aview that letting it go will not help,i understand the struggles you are going thru but men fight,hustle
we all left our country to seek something better,
if  possible move in to the next country ,dont let it go

Are you aware that you are posting on a topic from 2010!

Ray

Closing this old thread here!

@geosem : Please create a new thread to introduce yourself and any expatriation project you may have.

Regards
Kenjee