Female tango teacher for a woman?

I received this inquiry in a private message just now and while I was answering it, Lisa disabled her private messages! So I'm posting my answer here in case there are others on this forum who would like to know.

Hola Lisa!

It is not at all inappropriate for a woman to have a female tango teacher, or a male. But if you are talking about private lessons, the very best combination is a teaching couple--one to dance with you and correct, and the other to watch and correct. In this way you will learn the quickest and the best, and will have no need for more than a minimum of classes to learn the dance and the music, then you will need to just practice, practice, practice.

A lot of people prefer a teaching couple furthermore because then the class is definitely professional and not "social."

A woman needs to dance with a man but to dance like a woman, so you are best served by a couple. And only a man can teach a man to dance like a man. Don't forget the tango is ying/yang--3 mins. of seduction.

Ruben and I have been teaching together since we were Finalistas in the BsAs Championships of 2006.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to write me.

Un abrazo tanguero,
Cherie

hello,just to say I was browsing through some posts and from somewhere I found you and Im pleased to have done so.Life there sounds interesting,how you changed your life was also brave,tango sounds nice.I am in Athens and Im glad to hear peoples stories of their lives,I hope you are continuing to be happy there,I send you my very best wishes,Oh and how did you find France I wonder?from Concertina