I think women should not drive

well this is going to back fire one way or another.

I was talking to my wife the other day, and she said she wants to drive when it becomes legal for women to drive...

The first thing that came to my mind was a picture of my car with a 50 Cal. on it's top. operated by my 5 year old kid.

without thinking I said No.
I don't feel safe driving and I go through stressful/dangerous  situations everyday, add to that the factor of my wife getting lost somewhere in Riyadh ending up in an isolated area.

She drove in other countries for years, but i don't feel it's safe for her to drive here until things change.

Natour

well if the roads become as organized as other GCC countries, ie Dubai, Qatar ect. ,well maybe there would be some hope. But now, I wouldn't even let them be alone out there...lol

youth in Saudi would go like crazy if they saw a pretty woman driving which could cause problems ,

unlike in the us its ok to see a pretty woman that would be driving

schools need to be built to randomize this thing with the youth in saudi (lol)

Natour wrote:

well this is going to back fire one way or another.

I was talking to my wife the other day, and she said she wants to drive when it becomes legal for women to drive...

The first thing that came to my mind was a picture of my car with a 50 Cal. on it's top. operated by my 5 year old kid.

without thinking I said No.
I don't feel safe driving and I go through stressful/dangerous  situations everyday, add to that the factor of my wife getting lost somewhere in Riyadh ending up in an isolated area.

She drove in other countries for years, but i don't feel it's safe for her to drive here until things change.

Natour

The 'without thinking' bit tells us all we need to know.

ex_pa wrote:

youth in Saudi would go like crazy if they saw a pretty woman driving which could cause problems ,

WTF?  It sounds like you're saying only UGLY women should drive?  :dumbom:

Alliecat wrote:
ex_pa wrote:

i am a big supporter of women driving

and i would not discriminate against the ugly women

man which part sounded as if i was discriminating

ex_pa wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
ex_pa wrote:

i am a big supporter of women driving

and i would not discriminate against the ugly women

man which part sounded as if i was discriminating

The part where you keep talking about *pretty* women, duh!

all women are pretty when you cant see them hahah

Actually the title of this thread is a little misleading.

If you say women must not drive.
No, they MUST. Just like they do in the rest of the world.

If you say, they must not because KSA is not ready yet.
Then I agree with you. There are so many things needed to be done before letting them go behind the wheel.

Okay, but this is the chicken and the egg thing.  The thought here is that women must be covered, women shouldn't drive, otherwise it will cause the boys to behave badly.  But come onnnnnnnn ... the boys behave badly precisely because the women are covered and don't drive.

You can see this when Saudi's travel. You'll be half-way to a western destination and there will be a long line to the toilet. Suddenly the thobes/guthras are gone, replaced by tshirts / jeans.  The abayas/ niqabs are also gone.

So.. why can Saudi's be 'normal' in other countries but NOT normal at home??

In Saudia, it's like a self-fullfilling prophecy--if they are expected to behave badly, they do.

But out of country, they aren't expected to act this way and they don't!!

iam not ahgree with all many of you , and specally the guy who said about US mm he dont have knowledge that highest crime rate and discrimination against women is only in usa,,, this the most safe country for famlies kids and every buddy on earth ,  but this is truth that many things have to be arrange befor they hold the wheel. and after pakistan north area i saw first country in world where ppl respect the famlies and women.

if its the problem of covering up then having blacked out car windows (not windscreen) finally has a good use:cool:

desertlifestyle wrote:

iam not ahgree with all many of you , and specally the guy who said about US mm he dont have knowledge that highest crime rate and discrimination against women is only in usa,,, this the most safe country for famlies kids and every buddy on earth ,  but this is truth that many things have to be arrange befor they hold the wheel. and after pakistan north area i saw first country in world where ppl respect the famlies and women.

my friend. you are jaded

if you had ANY idea what was going on in the region, you wouldnt say this is the safest place.  Saudi is a hop skip and jump away from a stray iran/syria pissing match missle

desertlifestyle wrote:

nahh

1maxboss wrote:

if its the problem of covering up then having blacked out car windows (not windscreen) finally has a good use:cool:

I am sorry to burst your bubble here, but authorities remove also the tint from side windows, if you get caught, they tell you to remove it before you can go.

i think KSA is still not ready for that kind of move . . .

Hitch wrote:

But the whole point is.. when WILL it be ready?  Sometimes you just have to start *somewhere* :) (not that I'd want to drive here, mind you.  But seriously, I wouldn't want to drive in Rome, either!!).

i think once they actually enforce traffic regulations, is the time.

when that will be? no idea

Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

But the whole point is.. when WILL it be ready?  Sometimes you just have to start *somewhere* :) (not that I'd want to drive here, mind you.  But seriously, I wouldn't want to drive in Rome, either!!).

i have to ask !! why ? to not drive here i feel you !!? but not even in Rome

ummm ??

saudi isnt THAT bad to drive in.

africa is worse imo

Freshlikesushi wrote:

saudi isnt THAT bad to drive in.

africa is worse imo

if you drive like what im seeing in your pic , u would survive in KSA LOL . Just kidding ,

Hitch wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

i have to ask !! why ? to not drive here i feel you !!? but not even in Rome

ummm ??

Actually, it's crazy in Egypt, too.

I have been driving for many years in the US, and in many of the major cities. But there are speed limits, people stop at red lights, etc. etc.

In Rome, it's pretty crazy.  As I recall, a lot of speeding, flying around circles (rotaries), etc. etc.  SOOOOOOOOOOo hectic.  I loved Roma but realized I felt incredible relief when I got to Florence, where things slowed down a bit :)

hey.. but don't get me wrong. I've adapted to fast, bad driving in the States.  Would do so here, too, I'm sure--it's just that when you're not actually doing it, just observing, it's hair-raising to say the least!  When you're doing it, too, you end up not thinking twice (but this takes a bit of time lol).

I would not let men or women drive. Far too dangerous and fuel inefficent. Invest in a good public transport sysytem instead.

Evening Star

ex_pa wrote:

Exactly! the gov. knows better that even if they permit women to drive, it is not safe for them. Consider what saudi youth would do when they see a women driving! Before letting women drive they have so many issue to fix like changing the mentality of their people towards others. The traffic system has major flaws which need to be rectified before women can drive. Consider a women bumps into a car driven by a male, they will have to wait till "najam" arrives and then there will be gender mixing issue, which is even a bigger sin for them.

SherriO wrote:

Natour - if your wife can drive in Jordan, I don't think you have to worry about her driving skills!

i am not worried about her driving skills as much as i worry about everybody else's skills :)
i know driving in jordan is not that safe either but thats another topic :)

and as per to what everybody else wrote no matter how you explain this or think about it . it all comes down to feeling safe about your wife driving and letting it happen.

to say the least women can't drive aggressively and things are pretty hostile during rush hours. besides i can't imagine what would happen if her breaks down on a highway . or the ring road.

again would you do it or let your loved one do it? and feel safe about it .

Natour wrote:

to say the least women can't drive aggressively

HA!  You've led a sheltered life, my friend :P

Hi Folks!
This is a hot topic these days in Saudi Arabia and everyone will have his/her views. Owing to wildness of Saudi traffic, Women should not drive in my opinion.

Alliecat wrote:
Natour wrote:

it's kinda part of my role in life isn't it :)

Natour wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Natour wrote:

Why would it be? :huh:

Alliecat wrote:
Natour wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Why would it be? :huh:

Can't help it Arabian mentality ;)

presidconsult wrote:

Hi Folks!
This is a hot topic these days in Saudi Arabia and everyone will have his/her views. Owing to wildness of Saudi traffic, Women should not drive in my opinion.

OMG.. yet another male protecting the 'little woman.'  You guys don't seem to understand that your paternalistic attitude is part of the problem.

And if you want to take the wildness of Saudi traffic into account, then logically NOBODY should be allowed to drive!!

I've talked about this with lots of Saudi women and the consensus is that they want the RIGHT to drive--the CHOICE--but most said they wouldn't do it.  Now, it's going to surprise you the reason for this.  It's not that they're afraid of agressive drivers or accidents or men acting goofy and stupid.  They said they won't drive because it will let their hubbies off the hook and then the lazy bums would be laying on the sofa, watching football, while THEY have to pick up the children, THEY have to go foodshopping by themselves, etc.  I had to laugh--they're RIGHT!

So while you are 'protecting,' they're laughing up their sleeves at you ;)

But ... still... it's the principle of the thing.

Natour wrote:

but i don't feel it's safe for her to drive here until things change.

Natour

It will all change (Not the change that Obama brought) when the Women come to power. :lol:

No they shouldn't be allowed to drive, specially with the Viel on !! It would look like as the bank heist is on the cards !! ;)

saimans wrote:

No they shouldn't be allowed to drive, specially with the Viel on !! It would look like as the bank heist is on the cards !! ;)

:dumbom:

Alliecat wrote:
saimans wrote:

:dumbom:

Check out my post on the Digression Thread - Funny !

Alliecat wrote:

Now, it's going to surprise you the reason for this.  It's not that they're afraid of agressive drivers or accidents or men acting goofy and stupid.  They said they won't drive because it will let their hubbies off the hook and then the lazy bums would be laying on the sofa, watching football, while THEY have to pick up the children, THEY have to go foodshopping by themselves, etc.  I had to laugh--they're RIGHT!

Obviously Right!!! :rolleyes: One of the reasons why I'm such a big supporter of women driving :lol: Come on, go behind the wheel and get us a little relief.

Seriously, I love it when I go vacation back home and see my sisters driving and doing daily chores on their own.

Though, with no offense to lady drivers, I'm never impressed of their driving skills. One basic disagreement & question I keep putting "Why do you have to hold the wheel with two hands; Do you really think it can slip away out of your grip?"

TheLegendLeads wrote:

...One basic disagreement & question I keep putting "Why do you have to hold the wheel with two hands; Do you really think it can slip away out of your grip?"

Yeah, just let off the other hand from the wheel and feel free to :dumbom: the person sitting on the passenger seat next to you.

:lol: I'm sure @shy_star drives with one hand. And Alliecat...:rolleyes:...guess yourself.

Oops....I forgot this is not 'Digression Thread'.

ghanshyampdave wrote:
TheLegendLeads wrote:

...One basic disagreement & question I keep putting "Why do you have to hold the wheel with two hands; Do you really think it can slip away out of your grip?"

Yeah, just let off the other hand from the wheel and feel free to :dumbom: the person sitting on the passenger seat next to you.

Correction :-
The thread is : I think Alliecat & Shy_star should not :dumbom: