Short Term Contract

Hi All

This has probably been covered somewhere before so please forgive me asking and I hope this is the correct section for asking....

My questioned is aimed primarily at someone that is used to doing contract work from the UK as opposed to someone with residency...I think..!

I possibly have an opportunity to work in Malta on a 6 month contract and it is proposed that I will be employed directly by a Maltese company. At this point, I have no intentions to stay in Malta at the end of the contract and so family will remain in the UK as will my Bank Accounts.

Does anyone know how the Tax situation will ‘work' if I am directly employed by the Maltese company or are there benefits to using my consultancy company and simply raise invoices each month as I would if working in the UK?

Also, how does €40000 per year for a senior operations management role compare against national averages? Obviously it is a lot less than can be earned in the UK but then I presume the cost of daily living will be less too.

Thanks in advance

Mark G

The Maltese tax year is the calendar year - would your 6 months straddle 2 tax years ?

You cannot work in Malta without being a resident, but for EU citizens getting residency is easy

Thanks for the response and yes,the contract is due to start about September time so will run into 2013.

If I must be a 'resident' do I have to be there for a period of time before I can start work or can I start and apply..what if the contract was on a month by month basis..or can you not work at all until resident?

Thanks
Mark G

Hi Mark,

working in Malta for six months would require applying for residency and getting an ID card ( unless the rules change). When you sign the contract you can apply for residency and ID card.Your employer has to register you with the ETC.

Money earned in Malta or remitted to Malta is taxed in Malta. To apply for residency you will also need to show health care entitlement , NI contributions or private insurance. You should check with your Maltese company about the tax situation.

40.000 €/year is a very good salary by Maltese standards,even for a senior management role.

Cheers
ricky