Moving to KL

Hi All

My husband has been offered a job in KL and we are looking for advice! Can anyone offer any tips on what we should definitely include whilst we are in the process of negotiating the contract? Plus we are also after any general advice / tips on the cost of living, schools, where to live, etc etc! We are complete newbies to expat living so any advice is most welcome! We have 3 children aged 9, 6 and 1 and we are still (relatively) young & enjoy outdoor pursuits eg golf, swimming etc.

Many thanks in advance

Lindsay

Hi, A gd place to live would be in the mont kiara or tropicana area. International school in mont kiara area with lots of expatriates and entertaintment. U would not feel lonely there.Mont Kiara have loads of beautiful condominiums. You will be spoilt for choice. * mins to Tropicana area with quick a few golf courses around and mega shopping centres not far off. Both Public and Private courses. Generaly stay in the Petaling Jaya area especially the abv and you won't go wrong.  Do you know where is yr husband place of work? Maybe that would be a better indication. Best wishes.

Hi Lindsay,

Good to hear that you are coming over. Hope you and family will enjoy your stay. Dont worry too much, Malaysia is generally safe, peaceful and cheap. Things pretty much cost about the same as in the states, only thing is it in local currency (that means its like 3 time cheaper :D).

hi lindsay, i was just wondering how your contract negotiations went and what you actually asked for at the end (housing, tuition, etc) as my husband is currently negotiating a 2 yr contract to work in KL and we don'' really know what to ask for either.  any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers deborah

Hi Deborah

My husband is working in an oil and gas company in Kuala Lumpur . We just moved in to Kuala Lumpur 3 months ago . Jimmy had 2 years contract with the company . I think you should ask for car , school allowance and home leave etc .

By the way , have you found the accommodation in Kuala Lumpur ? Bangsar , Damansara Heights and Kenny Hill are expat area and people in Kuala Lumpur is friendly . :thanks:

Cheers
Tamara

Hi Tamara, thanks for that, it is very useful.  Do you know what school age is in KL?  I have a 2 yr old and didn't think that school fees were important at this stage but I may be wrong!  Also, do you know of any good playgroups in those areas you mentioned?  I am very keen to find one which will take my 2yr old and newborn.  Cheers Deborah :cheers: