Driving license in Germany

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Germany?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Germany?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

you need >12 practice lessons, 14 2-hour long theory classes, a first-aid class, and a vision test.
then you need to pass a theory test and the driving test. you should expect to spend around 1500 euro.

my aunt got her driver's license as expad in germany. as long as you are registered there should be no problem.

if you don't speak german the cost will be more expensive as you need a translator during the driving test.

Hi vroni!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Are you serious? Even if somebody already has a license eg in the States, they need to do it all over from scratch?

if you have a license it depends from which country. if you have a license from the us it depends on the state. some can just trade in the us license for a german one, other have to take the theory test and driving test, and some unlucky one have to start from scratch. it's the same when you want to get a us license as a german. i had to start from scratch in georgia. but it's very easy and very cheap to get a license here.

Phew, ok :D Thanks! Is there a place I can get more info on the different state requirements? Or should I just ask at a driving school?

no idea if it's up to date:
http://www.verkehrsportal.de/fev/anl_11_usa.php