Help with leasing car contract

Hello all,
I came to germany for a new job and I leased a 4 year contract car.
After 2 month of leasing the car, my employer told me that he dismisses me.
I went to the leasing company with the letter of dismissal but they told me they cannot break the contract before 6 month ( 4 months to go) and that I have to stay in Germany with a registered house because the car immatriculation is connected to my house.
Is that true? Do I have to stay in Germany for the rest of the 6 month?
Thanks,

Sounds like nonsense to me. What length of time one needs to give notice depends on the contract. For many things it is set at 3 months but if it says 6 months in the contract it is probably valid. But nobody can make you stay in Germany! This is sure. They just can't accept that one still has a car but no longer a valid address. Thus you will likely have to pay for the full 6 months but give back the car before you leave - but of course you can leave early. What you can't do is assume it has been paid for and keep the car or let someone else use it. You have to give it back even if you won't get the full time paid for.

Thanks Tomin a lot for your response.

I need to check the contract to see the notice period.
But based on what you are saying, i can leave the current house and go for another country in Europe.

What i am thinking of, because i don t have the full amount to pay for the rest 4 month, is to find a job in another country in Europe and keep the car. I will wait for the remaining 4 month to end and give back the car.

What do you think of this proposal, am i inside the legal law if i keep the car and have an address in europe? Just for the remaining 4 month? Because i don t have enough to pay it at once now.

Thanks,

PeaceAries wrote:

Thanks Tomin a lot for your response.

I need to check the contract to see the notice period.
But based on what you are saying, i can leave the current house and go for another country in Europe.

What i am thinking of, because i don t have the full amount to pay for the rest 4 month, is to find a job in another country in Europe and keep the car. I will wait for the remaining 4 month to end and give back the car.

What do you think of this proposal, am i inside the legal law if i keep the car and have an address in europe? Just for the remaining 4 month? Because i don t have enough to pay it at once now.

Thanks,

I doubt it. This is EXACTLY what I mentioned you cannot do, move way but keep the car. For obvious reasons you need to have a local address. No company is going to let you disappear to live in another country with their car. Where would there security be that they ever see the car again? And sorry but you will actually have to accept this cost whether you like it or not. A car leasing company needs security to get their assets back, it is not their problem you lost your job.

If your contract specifies that you can only lease the care while you are living in Germany, you must give it back before leaving.
If your contract specifies a minimum 6 months lease period, you must pay the six months even if you give it back earlier due to leaving.
You can have the contract checked by a lawyer (a verbal first consultation will cost you only €250 or so) to see if there is another way out, but don't keep your hopes high - these leasing companies know how to write valid contracts!