Moving to DR from Boston,MA

Hi all,

I have three children's; me and my husband are looking into relocating to the DR. I need advice on the schooling, housing, health care, etc. I  was told there is two parts of Santo Domingo, the old Santo Domingo and the new part(which is not so good to live at)what's a good area to live in, and how much would it cost to rent? Or is it better to buy? How about the getting around? Should I buy a car over there or should we bring ours.

Santo Domingo is too Big to divide into a good and a bad area. Santo Domingo is divided into National District, and The Great Santo Domingo.

Santo Domingo National District: This is the capital of the country and head of government, it is an Autonomous Province, with one seat in Senate. Has a population of approx. 914,000 and territory of 104km2. This is the part of Dominican Republic that our blessed President Leonel Fernandez referred to in his state of the address speech: "I was flying on my helicopter, and for moment I though I was in New York, this is definitely a little New York..."

In my opinion, If I take what the president took that day, and get on a helicopter, I say it looks more like a Post Apocalyptic South Beach Miami, but without the beach and a Sun that seems to be on Speed.

The Great Santo Domingo
Great Santo Domingo. Great Santo is also autonomous and has one Seat in Senate.  It is more than 10 times the size of the National District, it is approx. 1,296 Km2 with a population of 2,198,333. Great Santo Domingo is Divided into:
North Santo Domingo
West Santo Domingo
East Santo Domingo
Boca Chica
Alcarrizos
Pedro Brand
San Antonio de Guerra

This are municipalities, but you will see they are actually big cities each with it's own governments.

Most of these places have poor areas and areas where the meter costs the same as Central London, and they all have good schools, and terrible ones. Do you want your kids to go to a bilingual school? They have one too.

It is easier if you tell us what is your budget for the rent, and I'll tell you (In my opinion) which places will give you the most for your money.

You can bring you car as part of the relocation articles. You do not have to pay taxes for it. Cars older than 5 years are not allowed.

Have you been here to the DR before. It is a big country and you should explore some before you settle on living in Santo Domingo. This is a very large, busy, crowded, lots of traffic place and no local beach to speak of.
If you are looking for a slower pace look at the north coast with a large Expat community, beautiful beaches, very good international schools, shopping and such. We settled in the north coast (between Sosua and Cabarete)over 6 years ago and have not looked back for a second.

Bob K