Construction in the Dominican Republic

To start out with I'm glad I found this forum.   Several years ago while on my first mission trip to the Santiago area I fell in love with the people (especially the children) and the country as a whole.  Since then I have returned multiple times each year.

In 2018 my wife joined me on a trip and we were called to build a children's home.  In early 2019 we obtained land south of Santiago (between Moca & La Vega) about 10 minutes from the airport. 
Being new to this, I really have no idea where to start.  Our contact pastor in Santiago has told us that for sure we need a fence around the property.  Besides being a pastor, he also works directly with President Luis Abinader and has been working with the government in finding "at risk" children to place in the home.

Our facility will originally house approximately 50 children and eventually hold a maximum of 100.
Our biggest issue, in which i hope someone on here can help, is the cost of materials.  I'm planning on returning next month to obtain more accurate costs of material for the things we will need.  Local churches here in the USA are helping to sponsor the facility, however when we speak with them we need specific cost projects to present to them.   For instance, what would the cost be per square meter (or foot) for a facility like this (unfurnished)?   We are planning an open dorm style area for beds with a common area between the two wings....  Thank you...  I appreciate any input anyone can give me!

Please see the drawing of our facility.....
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/173761669_3737523299694385_7660976765534537278_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=GQTGhx_sMNEAX-gppsH&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=4540a0cda34ef65b9fecbbbb40893d99&oe=609CE4B9

hello

I just completed the construction of a Villa in Las Galeras ...but I bought most of my materials in Santiago and Santo Domingo.  I have a very good handle on the construction costs as it relates to labor , cement, etc.  Keep in mind that the site work can be expensive and its very important to have a good engineer determine the elevations , utilities, etc. 

I have an Architect in Santiago that I could refer you to that could help project manage the construction and he is very inexpensive. I have built classrooms for my church many years ago in Puerto Plata .

I spend 4-5 months a year there an could possbliy help on the project. I am a semi retired Investment Banker from Boston( living in CO) and also consulting with the US Embassy on some projects

send me your tel number i the US we can discuss further

Mark Hall

There is a web based service that  you can subscribe to. I get a monthly update on all  costs across the country. It will tell you material costs,  costs of labor and units of measure.

Here is the site:  https://www.construcosto.do/?goal=0_eaf … 52e5f5dbf5

It is well worth joining and receiving  monthly updates!

Hi,

I just purchased a 500 mt2 lot in Bavaro to build 4 apartments. I heard about the low quality construction in the Dominican Republic.

can someone tell me about their experience building over there?

also I would like to know of a good reliable construction company in the DR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

@reyaudate51 We are currently building a new home, and our experience has been very positive.  Your comment about "low quality construction" seems to linger on this island.  From what I have seen and experienced, anybody who hires an architect, engineer, goes through the approval process with all the government agencies, and hires a reputable builder, doesn't have any problems.  It's when you cut corners, do things illegally, hire the wrong builder; then you run into problems.  You have to WANT a low quality build to get one.  Any architect will not risk his licence to offer you an inferior product.  The problems on larger builds is suppliers cutting corners, or the site was never inspected for a 5 story building to be created there in the first place.  As well, many people just start adding more levels to an already existing structure, without any prior planning.  In short...you get what you pay for.  If you beat up every contractor and vendor for the lowest price possible, you're going to get the lowest quality possible.

@UncleBuck.  This man has purchased in Bavaro.  Perhaps you have some names of reputable builders in the area?  I live in the Bavaro area and I don't know of any.  Any good builds I have seen are from foreign building companies that work from Santo Domingo or similar.  These contacts are not readily available and the price you will pay is North American pricing.  This is the information that this OP needs.

@reyaudate. A consideration is not only the builder but proper and legal contracts, permits, materials etc.  There are NOT a lot of quality building materials in this area and most will have to come from Santo Domingo. 

I have an acquaintance, built a beautiful, high quality 4 apartment condo on my street, obviously had a good builder (I don't know the name). After more than 2 years, he is still waiting for his condo "permit".  Until he has it, he cannot sell the units.  So there they sit. 

My suggestion is to get all of your ducks in a row before you get started.  Don't rush into this or you will be building for the next 10 -15 years.  Not trying to scare you, only advise you to be careful.  Things here are not always what they seem.

I mentioned legal contract, but in reality, the legal system here is broken so it may or may not help you, but I believe to cover all of my bases so you should have it.

I have hired architects, builders, maestros and I haven't been able to find one that does the job I have paid them for.  I have ended up firing them part way through and finishing the work myself.

Good luck with your adventure.

I had some work done in my apartment using one of the bigger names in Punta Cana but problem is they probably subcontract out the work so you may not know who you are getting and quality of the work. I would not use them again because of the quality of contractors they used.

I have a friend doing a business renovation in Punta Cana.  He is half way done,  the builder is European and not cheap. I will get his contact info as my friend is very pleased.

Unfortunately everyone is expensive these days or do not want small jobs. Plenty of work for at least time being.

Here is a recommendation from  my friend -  The  builders name is Fran Torres and his number 1-829-730-8787

@UncleBuck

Sorry for the late reply,

I thank you a lot for your advice.

i can see from the problems that I encountered from acquiring the lot that DR is not an easy place

I am taking my time, I am learning the environment, I am learning the culture.

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately everyone is expensive these days or do not want small jobs. Plenty of work for at least time being.
-@DRVisitor

Yes DR the price of labor is climbing steadily , and for some  it always shoots up in December

when a lot of people are having upgrade's done around their homes for the holidays…. My friends say the contractors  “handyman “ see people buying gifts , food and new clothes so they usually attach 30% to what they usually charge…. For one ,  some get really busy , and then some don't really want to take on another' job before the holidays  ,

In December anyone who is a legal employee will get the "regalia" commonly called the 13th paycheck.  It is 1/12 of the annualized earnings and tax free.  There is an upper limit should the employer choose.

That money gets paid out, by law, before December 20th.  The anticipation of this quantity of money is what is driving prices up.  Some have already spent it. Some will start to spend it as soon as received.

During this time many people do home repairs and many many paint their living space!

What I can say is almost no one saves any of that money!

@UncleBuck hey there.. I'd like to ask some questions about building a place in the sosua area. Would you mind if I picked your brain?

I responded to your PM Kelly.

I will say in the Punta Cana/Cap Cana area way too much construction going on so becareful if you buy anything right now or near future if not for long term plans.