New job offer

I have just been offered a position in Bombay.
Never having lived or visited India (in the last 35 years), I am looking for input at what the life style is like, cost of living, apartments/housing etc.
Can you help!!
Thanks

Bombay is a very cosmopolitan city. you'll surely enjoy yourself.
it's also one of the cheapest global cities to live in...

eng256 wrote:

Never having lived or visited India (in the last 35 years), I am looking for input at what the life style is like, cost of living, apartments/housing etc.
Can you help!!
Thanks

ok i tell you that mumbai is crazy city and so busy i have been two time i now i am going to there 6 oct when do you think to live there see you bye

eng256 wrote:

Can you help!!
Thanks

ok i tell you that mumbai is crazy city and so busy i have been two time i now i am going to there 6 oct when do you think to live there see you bye

is it cheap city i'm really interested by indian custums, special i mean  just gorgeous!!!!!!!!
can't stand in front

Are you kidding me? Mumbai is one of the cheapest?? I believe its been voted as one of the most expensive cities in the world specially from an expatriate's perspective. Having said that, from all the expats over india that i interact with, Mumbai by far is the preferred choice and most of them seem to be pretty content staying on if given a choice. There's a lot of Hustle bustle and yes Traffic at times can take the better of you. But all in all, for an expat or a middle/upper class Indian, this city is a complete package. Work culture, diversity, warmth and the cosmopolitan look of Mumbai is by far the best bet in India.

You need to keep in the following aspects into account before deciding upon your move?

a) Does the offer compares better in terms of financial package vis-a-vis what you have in your present co?

b) Does the offer includes the relocation package and House rent?

c) Are you coming with your family? kids?

d) Will the company provide you with a Car and a Driver?

Let me know if we could be of any assistance to you,

wish you the best,
V

I am actually not offered a job there, but a transfer for 2 years.  I work for a Spannish company, and I am sure I will need a driver (especially after my last trip there).
I was trying to gause the cost of appartments and create a budget.  I have seen that Food is very inexpensive.
What does one do for Insurances,etc

get the impression from you email you have lived in india - a long time ago????

then you would know - mumbai offer accomodation from say 10,000 a month where you could get a shared room (with a bed if your lucky) and the upper end is unlimited - on par with the most expensive cities world over... bandra / khar areas would be on par with rentals in the UK.

so to answer your question mumbai life depends on what your situation (& families) and what you can spend... if you can afford to spend >Rs. 50,000 on rental and have a car with a driver its all great!

you have a lower budget - you can still manage with a bit more struggle - you have to go as futher into subburbs till your budget permits.

Thanks for your feedback.
I have never lived in India. I have been here since Jan this year and my project base is Nasik.  I managed to get a good furnished house at 25,000.  I was looking in Pune too, and a similar property there was 92,000.
For those looking to move here, I have to say that pricing varies tremendously between areas.
I cannot get over the price of fuel.  it is more expensive than Europe.

exactly what i was getting at in my earlier post -

in bombay you could get a place at NY or london prices and also at nasik prices and below depending on how far you are willing to travel.

if you say you place was 92,000 in pune - my guesstimate of the kind of location you might look at  - i would say you are looking at 1.5 to 2 times that as rent.

ideally you should choose your area of stay depending on where you travel to work to minimise the pain..... but bandra / khar is a good area to live in and i think you could easily get a nice furnished appartment for a hundred thousand rupees or a bit more.

all the best!!