Job Offer...advise please

Hello,

I received an offer for a school position (yes, im being vague). I have a M.S. and two years of post graduate experience.

This was the offer:
13,000 SR/month base salary
800SR /month transportation allowance
Housing, medical and economy rt included
1000 SR shipping allowance
3,750 SR settling in allowance
30 days vacation

From my talks with people i feel that salary is generally good. My problem is this. It does not say anything about the visa, it doesnt state where the housing is (because if I'm far from the school, would the housing allowance cover it) and how many bedrooms (I want to specify 2!), what type of medical coverage.  And most important, it does state anything about a plane ticket for my husband, or his visa. 

Also, i know its a school, but I read that it should clearly state Sun-Thursday. I also want the entry/exit visa so that I can leave to Bahrain. Oh and an end of contract bonus (is this standard?)?

So anyway, what are people's thoughts? What should I be more specific about? Am I missing anything? Am I being too particular in some area???

expatmbw wrote:

Hello,

I received an offer for a school position (yes, im being vague). I have a M.S. and two years of post graduate experience.

This was the offer:
13,000 SR/month base salary
800SR /month transportation allowance
Housing, medical and economy rt included
1000 SR shipping allowance
3,750 SR settling in allowance
30 days vacation

From my talks with people i feel that salary is generally good. My problem is this. It does not say anything about the visa, it doesnt state where the housing is (because if I'm far from the school, would the housing allowance cover it) and how many bedrooms (I want to specify 2!), what type of medical coverage.  And most important, it does state anything about a plane ticket for my husband, or his visa. 

Also, i know its a school, but I read that it should clearly state Sun-Thursday. I also want the entry/exit visa so that I can leave to Bahrain. Oh and an end of contract bonus (is this standard?)?

So anyway, what are people's thoughts? What should I be more specific about? Am I missing anything? Am I being too particular in some area???

Hi dear,

It's your right to ask all those questions before accepting, but all those questions should be clearly directed to your employer. If you want to avoid frustration when you arrive here you should have all answers documented in a contract "before" you say yes. The details you mentioned are average for KSA. Usually schools would provide accommodation that's close to them, a staff bus should pick you up and drop you from school. End of service is legally bonding employers in KSA. Husband's visa should be provided if the contract is of a "married" status. Multiple exit visa can be issued only when you arrive here and your residency card is issued, this should also be stated clearly in the contract. Finally you should ask all questions to your employer before making any decisions, I just gave you general pointers.

Good luck,

Wael

Why arent you asking THEM hlaf of those questions

ilnot1 wrote:

It's your right to ask all those questions before accepting, but all those questions should be clearly directed to your employer. If you want to avoid frustration when you arrive here you should have all answers documented in a contract "before" you say yes.

And bear in mind that once you arrive, you may be presented with a different contract to sign.  That happened to me.  They claimed the first one had a typo (an important one that impacted my number of annual leave days).  What was I to do?  Go home at that point?  Of course, I had to agree.  Considering what I know now, I guess I'm lucky that was the only 'typo' !!

Because I need to know what I should expect in order to be prepared...der

Freshlikesushi wrote:

Thanks for your response. You mentioned end of service. Does that mean a bonus or something??
Also a "married" status? What does that mean? If I go with my husband, does that make it "married" status? I have no idea what I would be asking for.

So you're saying that the employer could deny me getting a multiple exit visa? And I should ask them to specify that i will be able to obtain one in the contract?

thanks for your patience. This process is ridiculously confusing!

ilnot1 wrote:

Hi dear,

It's your right to ask all those questions before accepting, but all those questions should be clearly directed to your employer. If you want to avoid frustration when you arrive here you should have all answers documented in a contract "before" you say yes. The details you mentioned are average for KSA. Usually schools would provide accommodation that's close to them, a staff bus should pick you up and drop you from school. End of service is legally bonding employers in KSA. Husband's visa should be provided if the contract is of a "married" status. Multiple exit visa can be issued only when you arrive here and your residency card is issued, this should also be stated clearly in the contract. Finally you should ask all questions to your employer before making any decisions, I just gave you general pointers.

Good luck,

Wael

Not cool!

Alliecat wrote:
ilnot1 wrote:

It's your right to ask all those questions before accepting, but all those questions should be clearly directed to your employer. If you want to avoid frustration when you arrive here you should have all answers documented in a contract "before" you say yes.

And bear in mind that once you arrive, you may be presented with a different contract to sign.  That happened to me.  They claimed the first one had a typo (an important one that impacted my number of annual leave days).  What was I to do?  Go home at that point?  Of course, I had to agree.  Considering what I know now, I guess I'm lucky that was the only 'typo' !!

expatsoon2b wrote:

Not cool!

True.. but what's our expression in the States?  "S*** happens" ?  It happens in KSA all the time lol

For people thinking about coming here, you need to honestly and objectively analyze your personalities.

Are you the type who needs everything to be orderly; ie. organized, you know what to expect, rules/regulations are the same day after day and apply equally to all people?  KSA might not be the place for you.

Do you become impatient/frustrated when you have to make 2 or 3 or even 4 attempts to get something done?  Get conflicting information about the simplest of matters?  KSA might not be the place for you.

Do you become enraged when facing bigotry/injustice (to the point of hating a culture)? KSA might not be the place for you.

Do you need a lot of outside stimulation and entertainment? KSA might not be the place for you.

ding, ding, ding...that would be me;)
but I not overly structured...

Alliecat wrote:

Do you become impatient/frustrated when you have to make 2 or 3 or even 4 attempts to get something done?  Get conflicting information about the simplest of matters?  KSA might not be the place for you.

Do you need a lot of outside stimulation and entertainment? KSA might not be the place for you.

expatsoon2b wrote:

ding, ding, ding...that would be me;)
but I not overly structured...

Alliecat wrote:

wow.. why don't you PM me?  There's something else I want to tell you but not in open forum.

expatsoon2b wrote:

Because I need to know what I should expect in order to be prepared...der

Freshlikesushi wrote:

alot of the items you asked about, is something that only your company can guarantee, not us :)

oh yeah, by your previous post lol. i dont think KSA may be the right place for you.

I have some more information. The school is saying my contract is a single contract, but they will "assist" with my husbands visa and that he "can stay" in the housing provided. However, it seems like theyre saying he will be listed as a dependent on my iqama. Does this sound right? can i have a single contract, but still have my husband on my iqama as a dependent?

ilnot1 wrote:

Hi dear,

Good luck,

Wael