Best time to teach english

Hi...was wondering if there's any particular time that's better to teach in Phnom Penh...was thinking of coming over early February. Is this an ok time of year?....any advise appreciated.

I suppose schools will be hiring for the start of the new school year.
Not that I have the first clue when that may be over there.

Loads of ESL jobs advertised on the net.
Watch out for the rip of merchants. Lots about.

I've heard from people who teach English that the glory days of teaching English are over.  Too many slackers flooded the market and the locals aren't as impressed as they used to be with foreigners getting drunk and impregnating their women.

Can imagine that has happened and is still happening......hopefully I have age and gender on my side...
55 year old female!!!..
Unfortunately there are the predators out there that take advantage of this vulnerable country...I just want to make a positive difference!

Thanks for your reply

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I've heard from people who teach English that the glory days of teaching English are over.  Too many slackers flooded the market and the locals aren't as impressed as they used to be with foreigners getting drunk and impregnating their women.

I have no clue about that country but it's not the case in Indonesia.
Consider a move here for a year or two.

If you are interested in teaching English you should contact me.  I work at an all English speaking university who has an ongoing need of English language teachers.  You must hold a university degree and be willing to provide high quality services.  You can earn a living wage for Phnom Penh and pick up other work if you want.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have a University degree....I have a cert IV Tesol and lot of experience, so a little limited in job choices. I have looked at a few web sites for jobs, the main one seems to be... ..camhr.com......quite a few schools don't stipulate a degree but I suppose these jobs wouldn't pay as much!!...
How is it for corporate teaching there?..working within a company teaching employees english....I haven't really seen any advertised.....
How is the pay there?...Is $15 per hour dreaming??....
Sorry about the questions!....you're the first person who has contacted me who is already teaching there.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi Carol,

My name's Sam and I'm a primary school teacher in Phnom Penh. There are a range of different schools here in PP, all of which follow different term times.

For most primary schools, the academic year begins around August/September time. But for English Language schools, there are ones that hire on a termly basis. Anyway, there are usually TEFL jobs all year round, as is the nature in Cambodia, people are always leaving/arriving. As a native speaker you shouldn't have too much trouble. If you want the names of schools or some websites to check out I can help.

Good Luck

Sam :)

Hi Sam...Thanks for the information.

Some websites and schools would be really helpful. I've been looking in (camhr) mostly...are there more?..

Would love to hear back from you.

Carol.

Hi Carol,

The Bongthom and Camhr are pretty good websites. But there are newsletters that go around from 'Cambodian Parent Network' and 'ICF' that advertise teaching positions as well, you just need to sign up for the email newsletters.

Some schools to think of are:
American Intercon (ESL) www.aii.edu.kh
ACE-Australian Center for Education(ESL)www.cambodia.idp.com/ace
Pannasastra Uni (ESL) www.puc.edu.kh
Beltei International (ESL) www.beltei.edu.kh
Home of English (ESL)www.homeofenglish.edu.kh
Western International (Primary teaching)
Heritage International (Primary)www.heritagecam.com
British International (Primary)www.ican.edu.kh
Gateway International (Primary)
www.facebook.com/newgatewayinternationalschool

There are so many schools here, if you need anymore names i can help. But if you were to just take a tuktuk around the city one day handing out CVs i think you'd be fine.

Good Luck :)

Thanks Sam.......I will take your advise....

Thanks also for all the links!