Dating and finding love as an expat in Cambodia

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in Cambodia?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in Cambodia?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Cambodia?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Cambodia?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hello,
Please outline a bit more of you expect to meet any single person in Cambodia.

Sovannsok :

Hello,
Please outline a bit more of you expect to meet any single person in Cambodia.

Priscilla is a moderator of Expat.com, she is not looking to meet single people.
She is looking for answers from expats in Cambodia about this subject.

It's a questionnaire.

Have a nice day.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hello Priscilla.

You don't want me to write a 500 pages manual about meeting single people in Cambodia, do you?  :D

I will quote and answer your questions.

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

On line dating is a nono for me, too many fake profiles, fake photos, totally unreliable anywhere.
I use apps like LINE and WeChat to make contact, then chat for a while and if things develop well I propose lunch or a drink, coffee at a for her convenient place. That works fine for me.

Other ways to meet are provided in real life. I have met and are in touch with a bank employee of my bank, a teacher from the school next door to me, two waitresses from restaurants where I regularly come, and a pharmacist assistant professor at a Health Research Center.
When you are kind and friendly, smile, it is easy to make contact as Cambodian girls like friendly men.

How safe is it to date in Cambodia?

I think as safe as anywhere else.

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

A tricky one. Some girls are from very conservative families and you will need to ask their parents if you can take her out. If allowed at all, you might be forced to take a relative out as well as a chaperone.

Advantage of the capital Phnom Penh is that many girls stay on their own, with friends or family. So they can decide for themselves whether to date you or not.

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in Cambodia?

You have to respect the dating culture. No way you can kiss a girl or even hold hands when in a public area. The first date is filled with information share and a possible second date. That's all, one needs to have patience.

Don't expect to find a one-night-stand among serious girls, it takes quite some time before they are ready for a more intimate get-together.

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving Cambodia?

Not a question for me as I will stay in Cambodia. But for others it is not fair to not tell a girlfriend that you will leave and just drop her. Talk about it, find out if she is willing to come to your country, research the difficulties of getting a visa for her, talk and think about every difficulty.

Don't be a coward in being silent and then shock her with the remark, oh next week I go back to my country, they don't deserve that treatment.

That's it, glad I could express my experience in a few words. Others might have different experiences, that's life.

Have a nice day.

Joe

This is my problem, I’m 60 , many men my age date younger women, but I’m not interested in young women under 40, but the women that age , are beautiful, but they still think you will leave them for a 20something year old , it’s not easy to find mature women, but easier to find young women to date , I have had many offers for young women, but none from older women, just a extra twist,

Interesting subject, because although it appears that as a foreigner it would be easy , but the culture is so different, it’s a slow process , just asking them to go out to dinner or a movie type thing, well even if they like you, it’s the appearance of her to her walking around with a foreigner, in a public place , although she might like you , she’s afraid to do so, as crazy as this sounds your better off becoming a friend of a guy who has a sister auntie cousin, whatever but that will get your foot in the door, but the catch is this , they don’t want to hang out with you for a year or two , then maybe marry you, they will expect a wedding, this mostly to appease their family, so nothing inappropriate is happening , your married , or considered to be , so this is my take after 3 years ,  in closing yes you see a lot of old men pretty young women in all of Asia, but to find a real partner is honestly difficult,  I’m 60 , it’s very hard to find a woman closer to your age , they are more traditional, so dating is not a well understood concept, but I could have dated 100 20 year olds , the culture is wonderful but so different it’s what I love about Southeast Asia , all the cultures are different, good subject, but I’m interested if many foreigner women date local men?

I totally agree, as a, 62 year old it's hard to find, let alone date somebody nearer your own age, if not impossible.

We should not forget that let's say 50 year old women have spent their first 25 years, half of their life in a country torn by civil war. Many of them have lost relatives during those years of atrocities.

That means they have a heavy baggage and are not really looking out to get in another experience, this time with a foreigner, who's culture and life she does not understand, they are happy with the free life they lead now and I can only feel with them.

The advantage of younger women is that they have grown up in a free country, even when they heard about relatives being killed, they were not witnesses to those atrocities.

So they have had a much more free upbringing and with Cambodia rising [economy grows with 7% a year for the last 20 years] they jumped on the bandwagon and are by now modern girls with a quite good education and they are the future of Cambodia.

Personally I love to meet these young women/girls and it is a pleasure to experience their hunger for progress, their will to do something for their family. The only problem is indeed that their families are stuck in old habits [it's not culture, just habits] which leads sometimes to the problems mentioned in the earlier posts.

Joe

Due to the war 40 years ago, Cambodia has a very special demografie. Ther are about 2.5 times more 25 yo than 40 yo. It will be difficult for you to find a 40 yo girlfriend. They simply not exist or mostly are already involved in familys. There are many more younger women available here. Good luck !

Well honestly victor and jo you are right, but you know how men’s taste in women are different, so I’m not looking 25 or I’m pretty happy alone honestly. But you are right  about 40+ women , they really  are non available.