How much does it cost to open a beer bar in Cambodia

I wish to relocate to Cambodia and open a small business, start a life and make an decent living.

I need some advice in terms of location and costs.  The idea is to open a place that serves beer and snacks ( take away sandwichs ) from about 11AM to 02AM or later. The place should be medium sized with 4 tables max, stool bar and 2 employees plus myself.

Does it sound feasible ? Ideas ? 

Thanks,

Hello.

You will have to come up with a more detailed business plan to estimate if your ideas are feasible.

Selling beer is nothing special unless you specialize on different beers. Snacks can be interesting if they are not the usual snacks.

Try to do something that has not been done hundreds of times, then you can be successful.

Come over to Phnom Penh and see for yourself, there are many places where people go to have a beer or a snack, of course the most frequented areas like Riverside are expensive, rent wise, but they cater to tourists mainly. It's worthwhile to have a look yourself, it's the only way to start getting ideas.

As for location, PP is the by far largest city and therefor the most interesting for business. When I see all the coffee shops I wonder how they can earn money. If I see all the soup and BBQ places I think the same. Then at night I pass those places and there is not one free chair, they are loaded. Local people like to eat and drink out, meet in coffee shops or restaurants.

So my advice is to come over to PP and have a look yourself, to see what is possible and in what way.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Hi. I have not opened a business here but I did meet an American who opened a Carolina BBQ restaurant over by Russian Market area yesterday. He spent a good deal of time researching two areas: Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. He ended up opening the restaurant here and I just happened to find it. He told me it took some bit of time but I would say he found a good niche and the food is most excellent! Just want to give you some positive feedback but be sure as Joe says to do what is called competitive analysis. He serves some excellent South Carolina USA BBQ and I am thankful he is here.

If it is foreigner food, I recommend to search 3 locations, Toul Tom Pong , Toul Kork, and Psa Kandal (Royal River side) in phnom penh city.

I agree, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanouk are the cities for tourism.

A  year and a half ago I lived in Cambodia for a year. I spent time in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville,  and Kampot.  In Sihanoukville  particularly, I saw many places,  places called guest houses,  that were up for sale. Up on Victoria Hill  you will find a row Of restaurant bars that have rooms upstairs. In general it's the cheapest places in the city  to stay, eat, and drink beer.  While I was there I heard possibly rumors that you could start up one of these guest houses for about 20,000. I'm not sure if this is true. But when you get there or before you go you can talk with the real estate agents about this. I would go and see if you liked it first and talk to the other Westerners who have started their own businesses they are. There were French, American,  Australian, English, and Italians, doing this for sure. Good luck my friend. I hope this helps.

About the cost to start guest house or bar, it is between $2700 to $3000, to get a business license. I guess. If you would to know more I would check with one law firm agent for you.

@gulfport did you started the bar? Actually I'm also interested to this.can you give me few tips

@gihan785

If you click on his profile you see that he has not been in line for the last two years.

So he won't see your post at all.

Go to some bars or other businesses and talk to the owner. They can provide the info you're looking for.

Cheers

Joe
If in Siem Reap there are a number of bars for sale, ranging from about $5000 to $20,000. Mostly people who have been hanging on waiting for the upturn in tourists, and can't wait any more, money run out or whatever. Some good bargains if you have the cash.
@JoeKhmer following up on Joe's advice, I know an expat in Phnom Penh that owns a beer bar. It is close to the riverside area and was very busy primarily with expats most evenings last I was there in 2019. He is still there. I had almost stayed with him earlier this year but then cancelled my trip because of visa issues back then.

You can find on airbnb because he also rents rooms out. He's a nice guy. Been living and owning a business in PP for years. Perhaps he could help you. I can send you a personal message with the airbnb link if you like. I don't think I should share his contact info here.