Getting married in Dominican Republic

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Dominican Republic  or who are about to get married in Dominican Republic  to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Dominican Republic ? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of the Dominican Republic)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I am not really considering getting married to my Dominican boyfriend but he has asked.  I am trying to keep myself educated on this subject because I realize that many of these relationships are about the money and the papers, and not about love. I am interested in hearing from others who have been or are in relationships/experiences similar to mine.

Teena,
If you met your boyfriend at a  hotel he is a sanky and will eventually take your for your money and everything else. Please read up on this on the wwww.dr1.com foruns.
These guys are experts and usually have 2 o3 woman they are stinging along at a time.
You are his ticket out of here.

Bob K

Thank you. I am well aware of the sankies in the DR and pretty sure that is exactly what he is. He also knows that I know and he continues to pursue "the relationship" and has yet to ask for money. Of course he wants to come live in the States. Not with me he won't! I go down there for work every 3 months and have a fabulous time with him and right now that is all I am interested in.

Intriger you are kidding right? You want us to tell you what mistake to make??
First off know that there is a 90% chance the Dominican lady not tell you the whole truth. Second in order for her to qualify for a visa to leave the DR it will take $$$, lots of time and most of the time cannot be done.
All I can say is GOOD LUCK

Bob K

Thank you all for your contribution.

Aurélie

Are all hotel workers sankys

Of course not. Do however protect your neck and watch your back wherever you go. Trust your keen judgment and go slow.

I ask because I met someone six months ago. I been back once. When I was there I met his family and stayed with them for a couple of days. He never asked me for money and tried to pay for everything although he does not make much money. Since being back has not asked for money or have the desire to come to the u.s. . He has asked me to come back and visit while he is on vacation. He knows I am not rich and I work just to get by. But everyone on here tells me he is a sanky.  I talk to him everyday and he is very nice to me. Better than any american man. I dont want to run him away or get rid of him. If he is a good guy but also dont want to keep him if he is a sanky.

Here is the rule of thumb - NOT all hotel workers are sankies HOWEVER all the ones you will meet ARE SANKIES.  The ones who are not don't want to know you, they won't talk to you unless they have to and they will not try to get you to go out with them. 

SIMPLE.

So, if you met one, he is a sankie.  There you go.

Oh listen to Planner HE IS A SANKIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wake up and Run away.  You are in for a world of hurt.

Think about your kids.

Bob K