Getting a Dominican Driver's License

Hi all:

I'm looking for information about getting a dominican driver's license. I understand the process is different depending on what country you are from. I am from the U.S.

My questions are:
1) I am here on a work visa. Can I get a license if I'm only on a work visa? Or do I have to wait until my residency is approved? (Yes, I have applied for temporary residence. All of the documents are in. I've completed my medical exam. I'm just waiting on the final step to get approval).
2) What is the process?
3) What are the costs?
4) Is there a website that explains the process?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi: Presently I am going through this process. I assume it is the same for Canadians as Americans. The first thing you need to do is get your US drivers license validated at the US Consulate. How long is your work visa good for. I will send you a PM of the person who is helping me. She has been very helpful and I highly recommend her.
Regards
Stan

The Intrant website gives you all the information you need to obtain a Dominican driving license:

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/servic … e-conducir

Citizens of the USA and UK need to go through the whole process of temporary license after tests and cannot get their foreign license certified like some other countries such as Canada. It is an easy process and cheap.

But you do need a cedula, not least for the initial police check. Do you get one with your work permit? You will get one with your temporary residence. Your driving license number will be the same as your cedula and residency cards.

You need your cedula first!

planner , I came across this resolution from INTRANT which does indicate that a holder of a work permit or student visa can obtain a Dominican driving license:

https://www.intrant.gob.do/transparenci … NJEROS.pdf

So LZoe should follow this up whilst waiting fro their residency.

Good stuff!  This was done by decree in  July 2017 so its recent! 

You will need the  following:

1. Be 18 or older.
2. License from the country of origin in force
3. Certification apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirming the
authenticity and validity of the foreign license.
4. Valid visa passport as established in the case (take copies together to the original)
5. Work certification
6. Copy of the current employment contract or the university, as established in the case.
7. Student permission for the cases that apply.

Of course there are fees..... and a process to follow.

If in Santo Domingo, the place to go with all your documents as above would be INTRANT on Av. Tiridentes opposite Quisqueya Stadium. This incidentally is where you apply for a DR drivers license too and take the various tests. There is a BanReserva alongside to pay fees.

Thank you Planner, StanR and lennoxnev! This is a big help. Any idea what they mean by work certification? I have my work contract.

Thank you all for such helpful responses!

Your work contract should lead to a work visa. That is what they need.

planner wrote:

Your work contract should lead to a work visa. That is what they need.

Thank you Planner! I do have a work visa. And I have applied for residency. It's just that they used the words "work certification" and I'm not sure what that means. Is it some sort of letter from my employer?

It should mean the approval and subsequent visa honey.

Is there an English version of this document?

Easiest/fastest way is to use a driving school...
No need to 'school'... but they will walk you thru the process for a fee

Willie (or anyone knowledgeable):

Can you recommend a particular driving school?   And are any of them offered in English, or just all-Espanol?

Jim
ExpatRusher

They are readily available at/near the testing location.....

This is the simulator for the written exam. It is in Spanish, but if you go through this enough times, you can see every question in the bank and memorize the correct answer!

I'm interested

@ddmcghee Thank you! I plan on getting the license once I get the residency and cedula.

@Profe Agayu I recently got my DL here. You don't need to wait for the residency or cédula. They accept the visa to obtain the DL. I am also currently waiting to receive my residency card. Did all the process already but went to INTRANT with my visa and they accepted it to get the DL. 

Not sure about this , but my my good friend who is a cab driver said to me if I wanted a drivers lic I could go over to one of the driving schools here that he knew and they would get me a license for around $200 USD…they'll do everything for me because I already have a license from the states…. I told him that I get an international license for free from AAA in the states and it lasts for a year , plus your drivers license from the states is recognized here as legal anyway so I don't see any real benefit for” me “to get one  but I think a little research $$ might not be as hard as you think 

Your US or international license is only valid if your status here is valid.  Overstay a tourist visa and those licenses are not valid.  If you are on a residency visa then it appears your status is legal. 

@Profe Agayu I recently got my DL here. You don't need to wait for the residency or cédula. They accept the visa to obtain the DL. I am also currently waiting to receive my residency card. Did all the process already but went ... - @farahshaniceali

This is interesting. 

According to DIGISETT, you can only get your Dominican driving license with 'Residencia dominicana vigente o con Visa de Negocio, Permiso de trabajo o Visa de Estudiante, original más una copia.'

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/servic … dominicana

So the question is, did you apply with a visa other than the Residency Visa which clearly can happen as the link above?

Ones driving license will have the same number as your cedula and residency card so it makes sense they wait until you have residency confirmed.

@lennoxnev oh you are right. I do have the business visa for temporary residency that renews yearly. I suppose that's why I got the DL with my visa. Didn't realise it would be different for other visa types. Just assumed once you have a visa to gain residency that they'd accept it to get the DL. 

Residency visa is a pathway to residency. Mystery resolved. Thank you for responding. 

Your US or international license is only valid if your status here is valid.  Overstay a tourist visa and those licenses are not valid.  If you are on a residency visa then it appears your status is legal.

- @planner

My wife and I attained residency this year.  A bit anal of me to reconfirm , but this means our US licenses are legal?

We're taking Spanish lessons but it will be a while before fluency!!
You should get your Dominican drivers license
You need a Dominican driving license to live and drive here and you are given 6 months grace after arrival in DR with a residency visa for the purpose of obtaining residency to do so.

The rules of driving are laid out in Ley 63-17, the Transit Law and it's resolutions with this law superseding and modifying previous driving laws including Ley 241-67.

You can drive here on a foreign license as long as you arrived with and have maintained a legal status up to a maximum of 6 months.

Don't panic, just get your Dominican license as a priority. Digisett and Intrant agents probably don't know the recent law and it's regulations too well either.

I had a an expat Architect friend (a director of a large international practice working here) who had his residency for a long time but never got his Dominican license but one day he had an accident with a moto causing injury. He was arrested and imprisoned until such time his expensive lawyer arrived and managed to get him freed. Being an expat driving on a foreign license complicated the accident and led to his immediate incarceration. A Dominican license has it's value even for an expat even if you drive better having had better training and regulation elsewhere.