30-day time limit near

Hello.  I am nearing the 30-day timeframe for visiting and I understand that I must leave DR.  I have not yet applied for a residency.  What do people usually do? Fly out to Puerto Rico for a day and then fly back?  That is the closest country to me. 

Also, can I apply for residency while staying here or do I have to do it from the States?

People stay and pay at the airport when they leave. How long do you plan on staying?

Clarification: Did Planner say that your car insurance is voided when you overstay your 30 days?

Residency must be started at home, not here.  If you plan to stay another couple.ontha just pay the fee when you leave.

Your license and insurance is only valid while your status is. Legal.

Suppose I wanted to ask my local DR consulate to extend my stay to 120 days instead of 30. I know I must make that request from the USA.  Could I then fly to Florida at the end of 120 days (to reset the calendar) and request a new 120 days?

If  I fly out of DR,  how long must I be gone before I can return to the DR?   I have to leave on 2/10 to avoid an overstay, but I want to fly right back in on 2/11.  Will I have an issue re-entering that quickly?

@gainkeeper The extension is through Migracion, not a consulate.

@LadyYankee one day out of the country will reset the clock.

I do not condone it because I don't believe anyone should be in a guest country illegally, but many people overstay and just pay the fine when they leave.

Unless you apply for some other visa you come in on a 30 day tourist card.  You can request an administrative extension to a total of 120 days. You do this online with supporting documents and payment. 

When you leave and reset the clock you come back in on another 30 day tourist visa.

@LT American Maybe another 30 days possibly 

Some people that prepay the exit fine get asked to pay again upon departure. 

So, you take your chances on that one.

@planner

Technically people from tourist card countries enter visa free.

I know that some people think the tourist card is a visa.

They are not extending a visa by prepaying an overstay fine. 

Any "extensions"  tourist card country people pay to stay longer are not part of the DR laws

but are extra legal workarounds by the government.

If one thinks they are extending the validity of a foreign driver's license by prepaying Migracions exit fine, that is not so.  A foreign license is under other laws from a different department and is only valid for 30 days as I was told by the manager for DIGESETT in Puerto Plata when my wife was getting the new motorcycle license endorsement.

It used to be you could drive a motorcycle with a license for driving a car, but things have changed.

Clarification: Did Planner say that your car insurance is voided when you overstay your 30 days?        -@gainkeeper

The manager of DIGESETT in Puerto Plata told me personally that a foreign license is valid for 30 days. 

I was at DIGESETT waiting for my wife to renew her driver's license and add the new motorcycle endorsement for legally driving a motorcycle that they just started over the past year.

That said I know people that live her who entered on tourist card and drive on foreign licenses for YEARS...

I absolutely agree on every point you made!

I saw this for US citzen and DR laws. Could be old. However, US citizens can get the IDP from a AARP office I think

Foreign nationals who plan on driving in the Dominican Republic must have a valid driver's license issued by their home country. This license must be accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP) written in Spanish.

Can I drive in Dominican Republic with a US license? You can only drive in Dominican Republic with your driver's license if you have a valid International Driving Permit (IDP). Additional information for traveling U.S. citizens can be found on the government

website.

No longer correct

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

I don't think you need the IDP. You can drive on your issuing country's valid license for the 30 days you are legally in the DR.

IDP? This is an additional permit beyond your valid drivers license from your home country?  When I first starting renting cars years ago (from the Punta Cana airport car rental companies) nobody asked me about an IDP.  They only wanted to see my valid Canadian drivers license and if I needed a IDP, dont you think they would have said something to me? Why would they break their own laws?

An IDP is a translation of your license.  Does it really extend the validity of a foreign license beyond 30 days?

Yeah, well, maybe but I have my doubts.

Why bother with that if the DR traffic police already let you drive forever and ever on your foreign license hardly ever enforcing the real laws and with only a few people reporting issues because they did that?

I have never heard one time of an IDP being required here.  Not once.  Sorry, I just noticed planner already shot the IDP down as old news.

Why would an insurance company pay out if you have an accident and don't have a valid license to drive in the DR?  As in after 30 days on a tourist card? 

I have heard anecdotal stories that people have had claims paid, but legally the insurance company would be under no obligation to pay them after 30 days on a tourist card.

Your valid license is good for your permitted 30 stay. You do not need the IDP. You can Google this for full details.