Overstay penalty

Anyone knows how much is the overstay penalty?

I know it have to be pay at the airport in the immigration kiosk. I overstay for 3 months. How much is the penalty for 3 months?

Thank you 

Between 30 days and 90 days it's 2500 pesos.

90 days to 9 months it's 4000 pesos

Thank you

To clarify.....

The economic penalties currently given, relate to the total stay in DR. 

So if you are planning to overstay for 3 months that is about an additional 90 days and your total prolonged stay in DR will be about 120 days and so the economic penalty will be 4000 pesos.

3 months is 90 days not 120 and I already overstayed… not just planning 

Another way to explain is if you stay from day 30 (the day your tourist card expires) to day 90 you pay a penalty of 2500 pesos.

If you stay beyond day 90 to day 120 (90 days plus the 30 day tourist card), you pay 4000 pesos.

Your fee will be $4000 pesos

On day 31 your tourist visa has expired and you are in an overstay. The counting starts from day 1 of your arrival.  That is how you count and it creates confusion! 

My fee is $2,500. I stayed less than 90 days after the first 30 days. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Just an idea….. bring 4000 pesos with you just in case….🤔

Already thought about it… just in case. 😉

@planner good to know. Thank you. I'll bring $4,00 in case. Thank you

I stayed 40 days one time and I believe it was about that 2500 pesos

Where is there a complete list of all overstay fees? Also, are they turning people away bc of yrs. of overstay when coming back? Thanks😃

@olgaglenn you can also use your credit card to pay if you prefer. 

@michita  I have not heard of anyone being  rejected  after a very long overstay. I have heard (verified cases)  of people being rejected for  multiple overstays!  Not  60 or 90 days of  overstay but  people who clearly LIVE HERE and then travel once in a while. So a stay of  2 or 3 years, then  the next overstay  14 months.  That is clearly not a  winter  tourist but someone living here.  In two of the cases that I have verified they were sent to the Dominican embassy and told to apply for  residency visas!

@planner Thank you😃 

Olgaglenn,

There is a complete list of overstay fines on the Punta Cana Int'l Airport website. 1 month thru 10 years.....

@planner question.  My wife is Dominican and stays in DR for extended periods.  I'm American and don't plan to get residency yet, but I do plan to stay significant stretches (all for less than 30 days). 

My question is this: assuming I never overstay, is there a risk I'll be denied entry if I have many 20-29 day stays in my passport?
There should be absolutely no issue with that!
Thanks!  That's always my concern when I arrive.  They see I have like a million stamps in my passport.

Plus, if they look at my passport, I obviously spend more than half my year in DR, but I never overstay. I always come back to the US for a week or more.
I'm not even worried about overstay, but my experience tells me if you have multiple overstays, you might one day get a pissed off agent in migracion who denies you entry and makes you go the residency route.
That can and has happened for overstays.  If you are here and working while here then that can be an issue. But you don't overstay so no violation.
Thanks!  I do work remotely for my job, but it's US based and US paid. No accounts in DR.
@William Demarcos
          There's no problem with multiple visits
I come for 29 -30 days every visit and I come every other month , and I've been coming for the last 4 years , never a problem.
       Never heard of anyone having a problem for overstaying either , talked to many of the
Expat's that have come and live here  for over 5 - 10 years and they said they never heard of anyone having a problem either…..I think the government likes to collect the money from you on the way out……🤣

@Tippj I'm sure they do like to collect the overstay.  They also like to change the rules on the fly.  Just don't want someone denying me entry as I have a property and a life here — even though I'm not a resident.

This Is common here and other places. Rules change and sometimes become retroactive. It appears you have not done anything wrong. You look to be fine.  Why not get residencia and then you don't need to worry. 😁

@planner I am Canadian and have been told by the DR embassy in Canada that the process for residence in DR has to be started in Canada.  In my sister's case (in summer of 2021 - though the embassy told us it would take about 6 weeks it actually took double that time). Has anyone had experience with a different process for Canadians?  Ie. If I am already in DR can I go to the Capital city here and apply here without going back to Canada first?

@danimcdg34  the consulate is correct. Everyone needs to start the process in their home country!   The rules apply to all countries.
Hello guys, I am in DR and I have overstayed for 2 months plus (my 30 day tourist entry isn't counted). I will be leaving this country in days to come.

So let me get it right;
Fine = 2500 pesos.
Pay directly at the airport and not head down to Direccion General de Migracion.

Am i right? Kinda curious, appreciate if any1 helps
Before I got my temp residency, I returned to Canada every 6 months until Covid  struck. I paid overstay fee once and it was right at the airport in Puerto Plata....

Once you hit day 31 the overstay fine is calculated from DAY 1

Your overstay should be 2500 RD payable at the airport.

@planner  Do you know when they had the issue?  Was it recently or a while ago?  Did they have the issue when leaving or upon their return?  Do you know which airport?

Both were in  USA airports on  departure to the DR.  One was blocked at checkin the other blocked before boarding. Both were during the pandemic so at least last year.

@planner where is this payment made in the airport ?

No idea actually,  I guess it depends which airport?  I have not left in  18 years! 

@rlwoodz:  Don't worry, just follow the yellow brick road...they will ask you to pay after you go through security.  No big deal, just part of the process...

When you go to ck- in they ask you how long you've been in country…. Under 30 days go through customs… more then 30 they'll tell yer where to pay

Ok folks thank you

@planner mom, you are dedicated !