Making my city beautiful

First of all, we really need experiences from international people here so without public cooperation we cannot achieve something new.
Secondary, we can keep our city clean only if the people thinking like what we need my city to be. There are some steps we can start them from now
1-Don't through the plastic bag,garbage into the street.
2-Educate people about How do you keep your city clean ( IN school).
The most important thing in Riaydh is how to Dispose of crazy driving!!

Mez0 wrote:

The most important thing in Riaydh is how to Dispose of crazy driving!!

I wud suggest that each one of us pledge to be a defensive driver, if we change ourselves it will be the half job done....

Cool site of our needs of brand and beautiful products keep them sharing us thanks.

Carolhardinn wrote:

Cool site of our needs of brand and beautiful products keep them sharing us thanks.

HUH?  :offtopic:

Mez0 wrote:

First of all, we really need experiences from international people here so without public cooperation we cannot achieve something new.
Secondary, we can keep our city clean only if the people thinking like what we need my city to be. There are some steps we can start them from now
1-Don't through the plastic bag,garbage into the street.
2-Educate people about How do you keep your city clean ( IN school).
The most important thing in Riaydh is how to Dispose of crazy driving!!

Of course you're right!  When I go to the desert, I want to cry.  The trash and garbage!  Why do people do this? 

I tried to get a group together to spend a couple hours cleaning up trash.  Some Filipinos agreed to do it but no Saudi would volunteer.  Needless to say, I was disheartened :(

I think people changed, they used to through everything in the desert and leave them but now all the people I went camping with are very clean and care much and always they bring plastic garbage bags and collect all the garbage and through them in the right place. What we need to do is to be patient and try to spread the message nicely in order to get everybody aware.

Alliecat, we have a very big official initiative done annualy and sponsored by tourism commission where many people especially kids go to the desert and clean and they call it I think don't "leave no trace".
Saudi always are welling to do so whenever they are aware and understand.

Regards,

for the website of "leave no trace" , here you go:

http://www.scta.gov.sa/en/Programs-Acti … Trace.aspx

Hey in al Hasa there were some expats that arranged a clean up campaign with their students and it was fun and informative

Saleh2020 wrote:

for the website of "leave no trace" , here you go:

http://www.scta.gov.sa/en/Programs-Acti … Trace.aspx

BTW, Saleh, that's a great website!!  I'm happy to see that somebody is doing something.

I'll be the first one to clean up, we can make one day to do it with many groups in some area.
Thanks all

Saleh2020 wrote:

for the website of "leave no trace" , here you go:

http://www.scta.gov.sa/en/Programs-Acti … Trace.aspx

Hi Saleh2020,

Really Interesting. It has really changed my mind ( a little bit ), Becoz I have seen so much of trash strewn about, whenever I have visited the dunes or in desert. It only needs awareness at some larger levels. Great Work Thanx

Cheers

Saleh2020 wrote:

for the website of "leave no trace" , here you go:

http://www.scta.gov.sa/en/Programs-Acti … Trace.aspx

It is good to know that a program like this is being implemented here.  I certainly hope this is something that will catch on quickly.

Thank you all for passing by and I wish we all work on the awareness, it'll take time but it is worht the effort. Our planet will be clean everywhere.

Regards,

Saleh2020 wrote:

Thank you all for passing by and I wish we all work on the awareness, it'll take time but it is worht the effort. Our planet will be clean everywhere.

Regards,

In the US, it began with the children. Years ago, there was an on-going campaign, "Don't Be A Litter-Bug."  Once the children were won over to the idea, the children worked on their parents. Nowadays, littering is highly frowned upon!

I just found THIS WEBSITE and they have a free video game to download for children to chase litterbugs.  Brilliant idea!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sFrp-SpDG88/Ti_3yRCOa4I/AAAAAAAAAfo/-Fi_o2FFAzs/s1600/dont+be+a+litterbug.jpg

Wow very interesting and nice idea. I wish our film makers could do something similar in Arabic. I'll try to do something in this regard.

Thanks Alliecat,

Alliecat wrote:
Saleh2020 wrote:

Thank you all for passing by and I wish we all work on the awareness, it'll take time but it is worht the effort. Our planet will be clean everywhere.

Regards,

In the US, it began with the children. Years ago, there was an on-going campaign, "Don't Be A Litter-Bug."  Once the children were won over to the idea, the children worked on their parents. Nowadays, littering is highly frowned upon!

I just found THIS WEBSITE and they have a free video game to download for children to chase litterbugs.  Brilliant idea!
[img align=l]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sFrp-SpDG88/Ti_3yRCOa4I/AAAAAAAAAfo/-Fi_o2FFAzs/s1600/dont+be+a+litterbug.jpg[/url]

Excellent !!!

The beaches in Dammam and AlKhobar suffer the same fate of plastic bags, cola cans, bottles and trash. A very sad sight indeed.

Where I live in Hayya Al Falah, we try and do what we can within the neighborhood by moving the trash bins back to the sidewalk after the garbage disposal guys have dumped it in the middle of the street blocking traffic and causing an undue nuisance. We also make sure that the litter picker does his job well by ensuring he keeps the place spotless sans any tissues and other debris that they usually choose to ignore on their morning rounds.

We do have to contend with some folks in the neighborhood who couldnt care less and keep dumping their trash wherever they please. We dont confront them but simply pick up teir trash and put it in the bin while they are around to see which sends a message and we hope that slowly, but surely, they will realize that its not the right thing to do.

The smokers irritate me when they pull down their shutters and dump the burnt out ciggy butts on the asphalt. Some even have the audacity to do it when they are stopped at a Red light.

Theres a long learning curve ahead of the communities in most locations in the city. We hope and pray we will get there, someday.

musicman wrote:

Theres a long learning curve ahead of the communities in most locations in the city. We hope and pray we will get there, someday.

Insh'allah !!!

That's right. Throwing the garbage in the street deforms the image of the city and its culture. Driving is hard in Riyadh as it's the capital, a cosmopolitan city full of people from different nationalities and hence different cultures. You just can't predict other drivers' behaviors.

Aminstar2 wrote:

Driving is hard in Riyadh as it's the capital, a cosmopolitan city full of people from different nationalities and hence different cultures. You just can't predict other drivers' behaviors.

I will have to disagree with you a bit on this.  I have been to quite a few cosmopolitan cities - even capital cities.  Some cities that are far more overcrowded and have much more diverse nationalities than Riyadh.  The main difference is in other cities, people do have a notion of what the driving rules are and do follow the rules.  On top of that there are enforcement officials all over the place to ensure that people do follow the rules.

Not only are there issues with people who ignore the rules here but the people who are suppose to enforce the rules turn a blind eye on the folks who choose to ignore the rules.

I can go on and on about the driving here in Riyadh - all I can say is it will take a VERY VERY long time before people change the way they drive here.  In the meantime I just sit in the sideline and enjoy the craziness!!  :)

musicman wrote:

We dont confront them but simply pick up teir trash and put it in the bin while they are around to see which sends a message and we hope that slowly, but surely, they will realize that its not the right thing to do.

When I see somebody throw trash on the ground--icecream wrappers, chip bags, juice boxes, whatever--I  walk over, bend down, pick it up and hand it to the person with a pleasant, "I think you dropped this" and a smile.  The person has always looked a bit embarrassed and apologized (even children!).

Hopefully they think twice before doing it again, never knowing who might be watching ;)

houstonian wrote:

Not only are there issues with people who ignore the rules here but the people who are suppose to enforce the rules turn a blind eye on the folks who choose to ignore the rules.

I can go on and on about the driving here in Riyadh - all I can say is it will take a VERY VERY long time before people change the way they drive here.  In the meantime I just sit in the sideline and enjoy the craziness!!  :)

You just made me smile because you're lucky enough to be here since SAHER has been in effect.  You should have seen it BEFORE!! :lol:

houstonian,
You are right. People here don't obey the traffic rules. But The some locals and expat who have been here for a long while break the traffic rules in the same way that they had rules of breaking the rules, which the new expats and the Europeans and Americans are not aware of and even if they knew those rules they wouldn't break the proper rules and that what cause a lot of misunderstanding on the roads and turn the traffic flow to a total mess. And cause accidents. Have you noticed that the two or more drivers involved in a car accident are usually a Saudi and non-local or just locals? It's rare when you see an accident between two Saudis. I'm not defending the driving mess here. I'm just explaining why that happens. I came from a country where people don't driver much better than the people here, but I wear my seat belt, use turning lights, and don't cut other drivers off, which looks weird to some of my local and old-staying expat friends.
I do NOT agree with the driving style here, but it is not going to change soon. The Government tried to cut down speed by putting speed traps, but what the point of that when people slowdown from 140kph to 70 just before the speed camera and put their foot down just after they pass it. Limiting the speed of some roads to 70 or 80kph is an extreme action though. When the majority of drivers here are used to driver at 120-140kph in a certain road, you shouldn't make a radical change and force people to suddenly slowdown at the speed camera to 70kph, causing accidents, and they go flat-out again. That could be treated in a two-step action which is limiting g the speed to 90kph for a few months and then to 70kph. Traffic lights cameras really made a change into the better, but still cause some confusion to some drivers and have then fined unfairly.

Alliecat wrote:
houstonian wrote:

Not only are there issues with people who ignore the rules here but the people who are suppose to enforce the rules turn a blind eye on the folks who choose to ignore the rules.

I can go on and on about the driving here in Riyadh - all I can say is it will take a VERY VERY long time before people change the way they drive here.  In the meantime I just sit in the sideline and enjoy the craziness!!  :)

You just made me smile because you're lucky enough to be here since SAHER has been in effect.  You should have seen it BEFORE!! :lol:

I Just couldnt imagine how it would have been before the SAHER. It would be really great if almost all the roads shall be covered with SAHER and more with more law enforcement.

Anyways things will surely change for better !!!

They never had this problem when they were riding the camels?

I just came home for lunch and the garbage bin has been moved to the center of the street again. I moved it back to the kerb where I left it in the morning, today. lets see for how long this cat and mouse game can go on?

@Allie Regarding handing over the choc wrapper to the person who drops it on the road, what if he turns back and says, "No thanks, you can keep it, its on me, have a great day"?

musicman wrote:

@Allie Regarding handing over the choc wrapper to the person who drops it on the road, what if he turns back and says, "No thanks, you can keep it, its on me, have a great day"?

That's the chance I take, I suppose :lol:  But you know what?  They're usually so surprised all they can think to say is, "I'm sorry."  And I have watched them walk it over to a nearby can and deposit it.

lol...i think it is a wise way to get your message across and yeh, u r gonna get some people who are just too big to throw their dirt away...i think the message is a good one
Some people MAKE things happen
Some people WATCH things happen
Some people WONDER WHAT HAPPENED

...and some are still WAITING for things to happen

imraan007 wrote:

lol...i think it is a wise way to get your message across and yeh, u r gonna get some people who are just too big to throw their dirt away...i think the message is a good one
Some people MAKE things happen
Some people WATCH things happen
Some people WONDER WHAT HAPPENED

You are right Imraan,
And some people don't even NOTICE WHAT HAPPENED.

yeh...great one guys
i guess u cant beat those quotes

The local Municipalities need to come up with some program where they offer incentives to the towns based on their conformity to cleanliness and environmental protection. There's no such thing as a free lunch!

education/ incentives/ penalties
on the other hand who listens?
i wish some1 in authority could read some of these forums as they provide information on some of the most crucial problems faced in this country
dont any1 have some big proactive wasta who can make this into reality....hmmmmmm, mushkila

The Big "Waaw" has its dimensions and levels and needs the right person to make the call to the right person at the other end. Not something easy to achieve unless you are sitting up there.

Allow colorful abayas...city would look beautiful :P

Hi Nonz, after ages, where have u been hiding yourself? Well, we do see some color coming into the Abayas in recent times and I am sure that will spread wider on the garment with time when the malls will look like a Carnaval in Rio?

WB, nonzie! :)  You're right about the abayas... it could look like a rainbow!

nonz wrote:

Allow colorful abayas...city would look beautiful :P

Agree, it would be like a Transformation from B&W TV to Colour TV !!!:lol::lol::lol:

And then we poor men would have to bring out our Batik shirts from the wardrobe to keep pace with the Rainbow ladies

musicman wrote:

And then we poor men would have to bring out our Batik shirts from the wardrobe to keep pace with the Rainbow ladies

And everything would look so colourful !!! :)

To continue the garbage bin story, this morning I found the bin moved to the center of the street after the garbage truck had come in early and driven away. I moved it back again to the kerb while many of the neighbors, who were just getting into their vehicles to take their kids to school, looked on. Am waiting to see when someone else takes the lead and moves the garbage bin back to the kerb before me.

New topic