Please advice if this move is worth...

Dear Friends,

I currently live in Penang with my wife and a 4 month old child. Earning close to RM9500.00 and leading a very comfortable life. Have been in Penang for almost 15 years and also acquired a property (first for investment and now my residence).

I got an offer from a large MNC in KL for close to RM14,000.00. Offer is on par with what I am already getting in Penang for other allowances. The company requires me to relocate to KL with around 30% travel around Malaysia.

My question:
- Do you think it is worth the effort to relocate and accept the offer? Penang and KL I believe there is a difference in culture and cost of living.

- What would be the best locations to find a condo for rent if I choose to move?

Thanks!

Hi smv and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help.;)

Harmonie.

We wish we have the technology to exchange your life history your definition of happy life then we would offer advice.

Penang & Kuala Lumpur is part of Malaysia same country can not be huge differences.

It depends to what you plan to do :
1. If you have to keep the house in Penang while getting another unit in KL, then you are spending more on accommodation.
2. If you only hang out and dine in restaurant and do not enjoy hawker food in Penang, then it doesn't matter.

Penang and KL ARE hugely different.

Hmmm...as for a place to live, really depends on your budget and what you want to be near.

I don't know if I'd make the move, myself.

Dear SMV,

Penang is a great place to stay where it has different culture and life is more to down to earth than KL. Currently i am staying in Kuala Lumpur for the past 4 years and trust me it's not worth staying in here exspecially when you have wife and 4 year old child. Comparing your salary fron Penang to your latest offer, don't get intimidate by the figures. You gonna end up spending more amount of RM here. Things has gone way to expensive now. A meal in a Mamak shop for a veg and meat will cost you around RM6-8, and that is only for a one meal. Imagine how much you're going to spend for 4 meals. Also properties here is extremely expensive. A normal Condo around town will cost you around RM2K-4K. Also you mentioned that you will have to travel 30% that's means you won't have much time to spend with your 4yrs old child. This is important as she is growing up now and you need to be there beside her. Money is important but family is more important. You already have a confortable in Penang with good neighbours and friends, so why risk all that in a new place. You don't even know how stable this new job going to be and you have to start all over again with new job and new faces. And you'll never know how friendly will the new enviroment going to be. Think about it!;)