Moving to KL...Help

We are moving to KL in a couple of months from Abu Dhabi , where we have posted for the past four years.
I have five children ranging from Grade 11 - Grade 1
ISKL looks like the best fit at the moment.Can anyone recommend the school?
What is best area to live to be close to the school,? -is it houses or condo complex living?With three teenagers I would like to be close to the school with all the out of school activities.
is the traffic horrendous?
Sorry a million questions running through my head .
Thankyou in advance to your replies.

Hi Chilli,

Nice to know you.

Let me give you my experience since moving to KL from Australia. I am now living in Mont Kiara (a high-end expat area) which is surrounded by 2 great international schools, Garden International and Mont Kiara International (American system). This area is very good as it has malls and offices at your convenience. Patrol cars are also there to ensure the safety of the neighbourhood. Am very happy living here. Both these international schools are surrounded by high-rise condos, most of which have great facilities. There is little problem with the traffic as there are police traffic manning the area.

ISKL is quite good but the location may be a bit congested. It is located in Ampang, an area where many crimes happen. So, am not sure if that is what you want.

Hope the above helps.

Warren

Hi Chilli,

Welcome to Malaysia.

Agreed to Warren feedback. Mont Kiara will be an ideal location for you.

My advice is before you arrive to Malaysia, you need to check the availability placement in the international schools here, whichever school you choose for your three teenagers. Then decide the location you would like to stay, whether is landed or high rise condo.

Hope helps.

J

While I understand the MtKiara appeal (international school and clean side-walks mainly), I personally can't stand the area. Too high-rise, too full of developments everywhere, too new-rich. I much prefer a lively area like Bangsar or Ampang. There are many great and safe places in both.

In the end, the school your children will go to will decide where you live. If it is Gardens or MKI, then you'll have to be in MK. If it is ISKL, then you're better off in Ampang.

Good hunting

You would probably want to get a car in KL - the public transport is not the best - and there are quitea  few places in Bangsar, Damansara Heights or Ampang would be an easy 10 minutes drive to Garden, MKI / ISKL, Sayfol.  That would help you widen the choices you have in terms of acccommodation.

Hmm. i am a single guy. 57 now. in chiang mai. Thinking of going to malaysia to live. Can I live well in KL or Penang on 1200 usd a month?  Can anybody tell me where to start, as in a starting place to live and get my bearings? Thank you for your help. Can anybody give me a realistic view of what I'm going to spend ? I don't drink alcohol or the like.  How about the cost of medicines there?

Hi cecco, I just wanted to throw in few facts about the income. To be in Malaysia you must have a work permit with a minimum salary of about 1600 USD. Another option would be the MM2H program but in this case you need to have minimum of 3200 UDS pension or foreign income (plus a deposit of handsome amount in Malaysian bank). Other options could be like study visa, visit visa etc. In such cases, with 1200 USD, you will be able to live with a slightly above average lifestyle but it will not be luxurious.

[Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls]

Hi Chilli~
If you are still reading this forum, I'd love to know if you moved and which school you choose and if you are happy.  We are moving in July and can't decide whether to live close to hubby's work (which would be Mt Kiara school area) or live closer to ISKL (bigger school.. more class choices) and have him struggle in traffic!

Anybody else reading this... how long is the commute from Ampang area to the Pataling Jaya area where hubby would be working???  Google says 20 minutes, but I'm under the impression it is much longer with the traffic.

thx ~ jd

sorry for hijacking this forum  but i finally got to kl and saw a one bedroom one basthroom furnished apartment at the berjaa times square 43 floor that i am interested in. it is going for 4000rm per month , is that a good price for that apartment, though one has tobuy washing machine and kitchen is abit tiny . we dont pay any fee for cleaning of surrounding aeas and we dont get cleaner to come we have to do the cleaning inside the apartment and pay our own water  and electricity fees. is that a good price?

Hello! I live near ISKL so I can offer some info.

- Traffic is indeed horrendous but you're unlikely to find a place in KL without traffic anyway. If you can learn the shortcuts, they'd save you some time and stress =)

- Most expats with children studying in ISKL or the Grammar school next door, live in Ukay Heights or Taman TAR. Both good options, lots of expat families around and above average income locals. Plenty of shops nearby as well.

My personal suggestion would be Taman TAR. Its close enough to walk to school.

Avoid Bukit Antarabangsa if anyone suggests it. Nice area but the landslides are nightmarish.

Cecco,you can live comfortable in Malaysia with that income.
You do not need a visa/depends what Passport you have every 2 or 3 months you need to travel neighbouring countries and return, they you have another 2-3 months stay no questions ask.
While doing this you can choose where to stay permanently.
You need to go personally to immigration to apply longer social visit pass.
Do not use any agent/you will loose a money.

NO AGENTS/ Get the real info from immigration by going there yourself.
I am Australian and been living here long time/