KL in September: accommodation?

Dear all,

My husband is going to be transferred to KL and we shall arrive in September with our 14-month-old baby.
My question is related to the housing: which is the best district to live knowing that my husband and I (i hope!), are going to work in the city center (KL CC). And for the baby, I would need to take him to a day-nursery a few hours a week.

I am looking for a nice and alive district, where it is easy to get to the office in the city center, where I could find attractions for my baby, and without being in the middle of the traffic and of the noise.
I was thinking about KLCC in itself or Ampang, what do you think? all suggestions are welcomed !!!

Thank you!!

Ampang is OK, but it depends which part.. plenty of apartments/ condos...

others: wangsa maju, titiwangsa..

what is your budget? i saw your profile that you are French?

Perhaps I could help you, I am working at French company.. send me a private e-mail at: [email protected]

Merci and Bon weekend!

Dear Ines9913,

Since you are looking for a "nice and alive district", perhaps I could interest you in my fully furnished KL apartment, which is up for rental. It is located within KL's ‘Golden Triangle', the prime shopping and nightlife district, and is a 20 min walk (5 min taxi ride)from KLCC.

For ease of reference, I have compiled all the information in a google doc, which has links to pictures of the apartment, nearby attractions, etc.

I'll be in KL this weekend, and would be happy to show you around the place if you happen to be there.

Please PM me if you are interested; I can arrange a site visit at any other date that is convenient for you.

Merci and Bon weekend!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1onJ … xzXZo/edit

ines9913 wrote:

Dear all,

My husband is going to be transferred to KL and we shall arrive in September with our 14-month-old baby.
My question is related to the housing: which is the best district to live knowing that my husband and I (i hope!), are going to work in the city center (KL CC). And for the baby, I would need to take him to a day-nursery a few hours a week.

I am looking for a nice and alive district, where it is easy to get to the office in the city center, where I could find attractions for my baby, and without being in the middle of the traffic and of the noise.
I was thinking about KLCC in itself or Ampang, what do you think? all suggestions are welcomed !!!

Thank you!!

KLCC area have many condo, Jalan Persiaran Ritchie have some nice low density condo/townhouse too, all depends on your husband's accommodation allowance. :)

Baby can go to gymboree, if is a day-nursery for few hours a week, you may need to check from the nursery school, coz here most of the nursery schools either 3-days per week 8:30am till 12:30pm or 5-days per week 8:30am till 12:30pm. Best place to asked is IBU Family Resource Group (if you have Facebook, you can search and join the group to ask your questions, many expats in these group are able to help you.)

Another option is hiring a Filipino maid to look after your baby while you at work. Filipino maid from the Maid agency is legal to work here, you need to apply. Salary per month: RM1,200 - RM1,500.00, weekend off. English speaking, can do the household chores and baby sitting.

Beware of maids though some of the real horror stories friends had issues with before were

- being a prostitute during the day and having sex with men in the family bed (really the guy found out as a neighbour thought it was the wife having affairs and told him "is everything ok at home" and "lots of men visiting".... but his wife was working!)
- stealing passports and jewellery and running off
- trying to jump out of condo (16th floor) with baby (she got jealous of wife) and Indonesian maid though,
- moonlighting in beach bar on days off (a friend was told don't let the Christian ones go to church as they get recruited there)
- beating/hitting/starving children in their care

A thing I was taught was open a bank account in joint names (you and maid) and put salary in there (except maybe some spending pocket money). Then if they run off they lose their salary but can see you are paying them and you can't cheat them either.

Personally I don't like the risk and that my child would be brought up by a complete stranger - an uneducated one who prob isn't trained in child care. So ok as help but would you risk your child? Not me!

Nemodot wrote:

Beware of maids though some of the real horror stories friends had issues with before were

- being a prostitute during the day and having sex with men in the family bed (really the guy found out as a neighbour thought it was the wife having affairs and told him "is everything ok at home" and "lots of men visiting".... but his wife was working!)
- stealing passports and jewellery and running off
- trying to jump out of condo (16th floor) with baby (she got jealous of wife) and Indonesian maid though,
- moonlighting in beach bar on days off (a friend was told don't let the Christian ones go to church as they get recruited there)
- beating/hitting/starving children in their care

A thing I was taught was open a bank account in joint names (you and maid) and put salary in there (except maybe some spending pocket money). Then if they run off they lose their salary but can see you are paying them and you can't cheat them either.

Personally I don't like the risk and that my child would be brought up by a complete stranger - an uneducated one who prob isn't trained in child care. So ok as help but would you risk your child? Not me!

I do agreed with your points, I heard from a neighbour said one of the neighbour's maid having affair with the Master, he divorced the wife and married with the maid!!:mad::mad::mad:

I have been hired 8 maids in the past 2 years!! Very high turnover and because I'm fussy and I have to make sure "what I paid is what you worth", none of the employers will paying high salary for someone who only can do vacuum floor, but during the interview your staffs telling you they can do this and that! But having a domestic helper in Kuala Lumpur, is purely based on luck. We used to have 2 freelance Filipino maids which are very good in babysitting and domestic cleaning, they are now not in Kuala Lumpur. We have difficulties to find a placement after interview few from last year December till this year June, we gave up, have to said the maids quality has dropped. I have to said most of the maids are very good storyteller!!

The best carer still the parents, but when both parents have to work, we have no choice except looking for other solution. The best way of finding a good maid is thru recommendation, such as some expats relocation, they will help their maids looking for a transfer employers. That's why I suggested ines9913 go to IBU family group to get some information for her LO, IBU have lot of expats is able to offer opinion too.

Can tell you have been here long. :)

Hi there!! we just moved to KL and if you have any queries, we can help!!
I'm working in KLCC area and lives in the city!

See you soon in Sept!
:)

Thank you very much for your help. For the nanny, hopefully I have a good one (until now:-)) and she will come with me to KL.

at JC 138: IBU Group is really amazing!! I found a lot of information!! thank u!!
carbonfac3d: how is ur accommodation? and is it noisy to live in the city?

for my work, I will work in KL Sentral and my husband is KLCC. What is the best place to live according to you? Is Bangsar is the best deal to join both work places? do u think I will need a car to go to work from bangsar?

THank you and have a nice day.

I'm a city boy, lived in Tokyo, New York and Recently SIngpore.
The south of KLCC near STONER/BINJAI(googleit) is not too noisy. the City centre also have a park.

BUT What is awesome is that WE BEAT THE TRAFFIC EVERYDAY!!!

If you stay in Bangsar, you will need 1 car to send you to 2 locations.
If you stay in KLCC your hubby walk to KLCC area to work and you take the train to KL sentral, when EVERYbody else is travelling the opposite direction

hummm interesting... So I will look again on accommodations in KL city avoiding the huge tours...

Yups, traffic can be unbearable

Hi stay in the city when you arrive it will give you a feel of the place, the noise or lack of it in different places.

Usually you have to sign up for 12mths rental so you want to make sure this is a good place to be.

Bangsar can be OK but you have to drive or get train to Sentral & KLCC. Beware the main part of Bangsar is a long walk to the Bangsar station.

I live in the city and love it but understand its not everyone's cup of tea.

Try the site propwall.com loads of apartments available to rent.

Have you done a "look see visit" or is this the first time?

Happy to help further if required.