ESL Jobs in Barranquilla?

Looking to move to quilla and need info on esl jobs at preferably Language Institutes as I only have a business degree and not qualified for most International Schools ect.

Apply to AIESEC if you are or have recently been a student. They offer hundreds of jobs in both the business and education sectors. The companies will find you. I took a job in Spain this summer and am considering Barranquilla in August, but I've had at least 30 Columbia job offers.

I'm strongly considering Barranquilla in the next couple of months.  Regarding ESL work, I taught for 4 years in S.Korea.  Even though I'm a very young looking 68 years of age, would me experience possibly be an asset in finding work teaching in Barranquilla (or anywhere else in Colombia?). 

I also have lots of business experience and a Masters Degree in International Business.

Anybody have any comments on the behavior of Colombian kids?

Thanks,
Art

Me again.

What I have pearned from Keren is they are very discrimnating against age. I'm not sure about the schools there, but I've heard they are some of the best. This also I will forward on to her. I am taking a course to get certified to teach english anywhere in the world.

I'll be back in Barranquilla 26 Jun to 24 Jul. You may be coming to a wedding! :D

Ed

I relocated to Barranquilla just 3 weeks ago, expecting to work as a private teacher (I am TEFL certified). At the hotel I chose to stay in until I got an apartment, I met another guy from the US who has been here a couple times and was already established as an English teacher, and was already in the process of starting his own English school. He asked me to join up with him as a business partner, now we are working together to start the school with his students and at least 20 more signed up this past 3 days. We chose Soledad as the area to start the school as there is no English school in this area (Las Moras) and the people are anxious for us to get it opened. I have rented a 3 bedroom apartment and will use 2 bedrooms as classrooms, to start with. He rented another 3 bedroom apartment across the street, and also signed a contract to rent the 3 bedroom apt below his, and we will use that lower apartment for the school only, giving us 3 classrooms, 4 if we use the living room as a classroom. We have gone thru all the legal channels to make this fully legal. Our visas are being changed from tourist to work and we are getting resident status papers, just needed to grease the right palms. We expect to start classes in a few days. Who knows? Maybe in 3 or 4 months we'll be hiring another teacher or two, at least that is what we are hoping and planning for. There is no shortage of potential students in this area of Barranquilla (south of the Circumvalar).

Hi, I am new to Barranquilla and also TEFL certified from the University of Toronto.  Are you currently hiring any teachers?  Would love to hear back from you. 

Cheers,

Will

Hi will:

I'm not sure if your question was specifically directed at me...art williams, but maybe I can give you some advice.

I have/had a friend named Sam Smith who lives in Houston, Tx., with his wife Consuela who he met in Barranquilla.  Him and Consuela have a latina introduction service called www.ilovelatins.com.  It's totally legitimate and, matter of fact I went on one of their tours back in 2001 and almost later married a girl from there.

Point is, he hired interpreter/translators for the guys who come down there on his tours....one for each guy for the whole time they're there.  Of course, they're always ladies but I see no reason why an 'hombre' couldn't do just as well.  I'm sure the guys compensate them/tip them but I suspect he pays them some sort of base rate, for their time, too.

I'd suggest you give him an email message and/or call.  The number is on his website.  Just tell him I mentioned him and tell him about your capabilities.  He's a pretty helpful type guy and if there's anything he can do to help you I expect he will.

art

ps. I'm in Ras al Khaiman, near Dubai now.  I got out of Manila.

Hello,
I am looking at moving to the area and I read your post. I wanted to see how the language school is going and to see if you were hiring. I look forward to your reply.

Yes, I have positions there. ***
HOw soon can you start?

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : no free ads please.
Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I can start the beginning of June. What are the requirements and the visa requirements. Also what's the salary and do you know what the housing situations are? I will also be bringing my son with me. He is 17.

Best if we whatsapp  ***
Yes, you can bring your son, we have regional supervisors, I can put you near me in Manizales or Pereira, but we have 60 cities, 385 schools.  $550 USD approx stipend monthly. YOu don't get rich, it's meant to help you cover your living expenses.

Reason : please share your contact via your private message system + no free ad. Thank you.

Is the housing provided? If not what is the rental market like in the area?

Housing covered by you with the 1.5M COP monthly. It's enough for lodging and food.

Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

What are the hours required  to work starting at 1.5 mil COP a month? and any assistance with a work visa?