Whats the crime situation like?

Hi
I am applying for an internal transfer with my employer to DR (Santo Domingo).

I Found the forum really useful but couldnt find anything about crime which i understand is a bit of a problem.

What daily precautions are needed at home and when out and about?

Is it safe to explore the countryside?

How does SD compare say to Havanna , Cape Town, Paris or London (these are places i am familiar with) ?

thanks for the info.  by the way i dont speak Spanish but fully intend to learn enough to get by.

Keith

Like anywhere else  you have to use your head. Yes there are areas that you do not want to be in and others that are just fine.  Exploring the country side is perfectly safe and it is a beautiful island to explore.

Depending on where you chose to live you may need security for your home. Many communities have there own security.

We have been here for three years and not had any bit of a problem.

Bob K

Hi Bob, this is Mireia from Barcelona.
I would like to ask you information about living and working in sosua. i'm a yoga and a contemporary dance teacher and my husband is from NYC and he teaches English.
Thanks!

Does anyone know if nonlethal weapons like stun guns or taser guns are allowed into the DR by customs? This country has a 98-99% unsolved homicide rate which mostly involves Dominican nationals. I have lived on the northern coast & seen violence of all kinds but not directed towards tourists or expat.As in most of Latin America, there is bitter resentment towards gays both male & female. Its healthier to not make any public display of affection or bring attention to yourself....Ron

Not sure about being able to bring those weapons in however you can buy stun guns, mace and flare guns here with out much difficulty.
As to no tolerance of gays I have not seen that in the 5 years i have been living here. Gay tourists, expats and locals don't seeem to have much of a problem but there is not much PDA from them either.

Bob K