What US product do you miss the most?

Hi there!  I have a store on eBay & am looking to expand internationally.  No, I'm not looking for sales just ideas!  I thought the expat community would be a great place to start.  Actually, my sister, who is an expat in the UK, gave me the idea.

So, this is what I'm wondering ... as an expat, what products do you miss the most from the US & would go to a site like eBay to try and purchase?  This can include food, clothes, books, etc.  I'm trying to keep shipping costs down - so larger items are definitely out.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much, Kassyd2007

A miss the slightly more upscale products, like Ghiradelli brownie mix instead of Betty Crocker, or IBC Cream Soda rather than generic.  Most expat stores over here carry the cheap stuff.  And I wouldn't bother with US chocolate, European stuff is simply better and cheaper.  I've heard a lot of rumblings about Cheetos from expats in Germany.  Baking soda, brown sugar, vanilla extract and chili powder are harder to come by here.  And US measuring cups and spoons might be handy.  I think books are pretty easy to order off the various Amazon websites, so I'm not sure that would be a moneymaker.  Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Wow - that is wonderful - Thanks so much for the great input!

I would like a fat juicy rib-eye steak, tortillas, and I've heard some people wish they could get a Dr Pepper.  I'd also like to buy a clothes dryer.  These are some things I have not been able to find here in Kazakhstan.  kristal

LOL I think the rib-eye may be a little difficult & I'm not sure that I'd be able to find a big-enough box for the dryer.  But the other stuff sounds reasonable.  Thank you very much for your input!

Beg your pardon, Kristal Mays? Since when are tortillas an US-product?

I guess when you've lived in California most of your life, or Texas, like my husband, you get so familier with the "south of the Border" foods, it seems like your own.  Home made tortillas are the best, but I'd settle for any "brand" right now.  We have many friends from Mexico,  I miss the parties, music, and all the great food. 
Kristal

Excellent - these are all great ideas - Thanks again!

Hi,

I think for the Canadian expats that something like maple suryp might be a welcome taste of home. Or how about wine making kits. I know here in Ontario that home wine kits are quite popular and it might be something that would appeal to the 'party crowd' in the expat community.

Ron in Canada

Very nice!  I'll look in to both.  Thank you very much!

Instant oatmeal!! Ahhh, the overly sweet processed goodness of raisins and dates or maple syrup flavored instant oatmeal. Oatmeal cookies in general are sorely missed. Good fresh bagels. We miss this terribly although I realize it is impossible to get them fresh, it would be wonderful to have decent ones that we can purchase and spread with some cream cheese! I second the flour tortillas. Yeah, I realize that they are not whate we would typically consider "american" fare, but if you have ever had a mexican grandmother in the States, they are most definitely American.

That was Microsoft works, which included works word processor, works spreadsheet, and works calender..Thank you very much!

I miss 24 hour electricity.

Bob K

Krispy Kreme Donuts.

In n Out Burger

I agree about the "South of the Border" products.  In the UK, its getting easier to find them, but its a struggle when you are really craving some good Mexican or Tex-mex food.  I recently had a friend send me some small cans of green chilies and am in heaven! :)

The other thing is candy and sweets - I have found quite a few specialty shops for these in the UK, but I dont know if others in other parts of the world may be having trouble.

Blog: www.beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

I miss the microbreweries...

fastfood restaurants other than mcdonalds (there tons in sweden), bagels (never found any in stockholm), nestles chocolate chips (i never found the chips, just one chocolate chip brand cookie but it wasn't the same! :(

Pizza!  I wouldn't buy one on e-bay, but I'd love to get a real pizza around here.

cranberry juice and pom

Krispy Kreme donuts

Monterrey and colby cheese

I miss all foods at 'Spice Mill' in Seaworld,Florida.

kassyd2007 wrote:

Hi there!  I have a store on eBay & am looking to expand internationally.  No, I'm not looking for sales just ideas!  I thought the expat community would be a great place to start.  Actually, my sister, who is an expat in the UK, gave me the idea.

So, this is what I'm wondering ... as an expat, what products do you miss the most from the US & would go to a site like eBay to try and purchase?  This can include food, clothes, books, etc.  I'm trying to keep shipping costs down - so larger items are definitely out.

Such a great idea, I was thinking to do something similar when I arrive there in a year.  This may sound like a stupid question but can't people get most of the stuff listed above from El Corte de Ingles?

Obviously you won't get all but I'm just surprised.

in Thailand, what we learn is that we really don't need anything.

I want a lot less. actually, i am giving almost everything i own a way.  i want 1 suitcase. 1 change of clothes.  that's it.

(moderated: no free ads please)

I do not use ebay (TM) for buying anything. Expand your horizons, set up your own WordPress site with a non pay-pal (TM) checkout system. The world is yours...but not on the Eb** place.

Quality Dark chocolate (not milk chocolate..yuck!)is what I seek. That and good Ice Cream and donuts. They do not have these things in Belize at least top quality.

Kindle(TM)of Amazon(TM) takes care of heavy books.

Want nothing and you have everything. But I still want Dark chocolate and donuts. ;)

F4RE66 wrote:

Meet expats all over the world

OR