France VLS-TS and travelling outside France

I read that once to get our VLS-TS from the USA and then within three months register in-person in France you cannot return to the USA. Is this true?

I was going to move permanently to France with a VLS-TS and have my primary residence, address, in France, but I will have business affairs and, of course, some family still in the USA.  I read that during the first year after you register your VLS-TS you cannot leave France except for a family emergency. 

I can think of hundreds of reasons why I might need to leave France during the first year, i.e., family funerals, sell other property, manage banking, return for final medical appointments, arrangements for a final move, etc.

So  what is the truth and the rule?

BTW: I was told that it was illegal to carry a pocket knife in France.  I was surprised when a construction worker on a bus bench pulled on his pocket knife to peel an orange.  When I asked him about the knife, he said he had never heard of such a thing.  He then asked  me "Don't Americans carry pocket knives or just guns?" and then laughed.  I guess you cannot always believe what you read on the web.

Hi France7890,

Once you get your visa, you enter France and you validate your VLS-TS online. You will then be able to exit and enter the Schengen zone freely for the duration of your visa. In the visa you will have the type of entry/exite regime, and it will be indicated "MULT" which means you can enter and exit multiple times.

I hope this is helpful!

Yuliana

@France7890

That is not the law, but a VLS-TS puts you in as an immigrant into OFFI. So they think you want to stay forever. The French do not understand the wanderlust of Americans. And things are changing. We Americans could always come and go from France as much and as long as we wished. The EU does not agree, so France must also follow the EU rules. The fundamental rule is set by the tax treaties between each country and your Passport. In the 182-day rule, the country that you reside in for 183 days or more in a calendar year is the one that you reside in tax for income tax. If you want to reside in both countries, you pay taxes. And you need a tax lawyer on each side plus accountants. I Stay 183 in the US  and 182 or less in France. Because I am retired and my income is in the US. Technically, you can not have 2 passports in the US or France. My wife is French first and did not give up her passport when she became a US Citizen. But if I get French Citizenship, I will be asked to give up the US. And I do not know how big a problem that would be. I have been coming and going since 1969. And every year since 2014. And it has been complicated. The interest on my bank account in France. I pay tax on it in both counties because it is easier. And I do not work in France for money or have other income.   

I got my first VLS in 2017 after I was warned that if I stayed over 90 days, I could be barred from the EU for an overstay and forever. Then, when I got there, I found out I was emigrating, and it took until 2023 to get my Titre De Sejour so I could enter and stay. So, I learned a lot and am still learning.

My wife says the knife thing is about the length of the blade. She says it can not be longer than the width of your palm. Or switch a blade. I have carried a kike all my life with a locking blade so I do not cut off my fingers. As a farm boy or sailor.  Everyone finds it strange, but it is always with me or in the checked baggage. If you respect people and are polite, you will always get help when needed. Except for some clerks, if you show respect and smile politely, it even works on Cops in the roundabout looking for Drunks. They stop anyone. They must use up all their mount pieces and then move on.