Importing Household Goods

Looking for some information regarding importing household goods/personal belongings.  (I know many of you advise selling everything and moving with a few suitcases, but we have a decent amount of inherited furniture which I am forbidden to sell.  We looked into storage, but the truth is that it is less expensive to ship a 20 foot container to our new home in Spain than it is to store everything.  So here we are.)

I'm specifically wondering about the inventory list.  I know there need to be two copies, in Spanish, with the items, approximate date of purchase and values.  My questions are:

1.   How detailed does this need to be?  Literally every item in every box, or can I group together similar items, ie. "cookbooks", "screwdrivers" or "Christmas decorations"? 
  2. Should the values reflect what they cost new or a current value? What about gifted items or family heirlooms?

Thank you for any help!

From my own experience working for a [link moderated] company, you don't need two copies of the inventory list.

This list in our case is for:

1. Export declaration - you'll just need to certify that those items are not for commercial purposes.
  2. Eventual insurance claim - I'm not sure how it works as I never had to use it.

You don't have to be detailed - in our case goes like this:

Box 0,5m x 0.4m x 0.6 12kg - Books and clothing  - £120

and so.

About the value - it is a bit tricky. For example, you have a flat-packed Ikea item you've purchased recently and it's still in the package, costing you 49 - you put 49.

If you have some antique piece of furniture - you'd have to put the amount you'd have to spend to replace it.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Matt

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@merrittkennedy

hi, we are in a simular position, i have been advised to get surveys done along with getting quotes and they tell /advise you as to what they require to get into the country. A place in the sun exhibition in the uk helped with transport companies.

@Maciej Legowicz

That is very helpful- thank you!

From my own experience working for a removal company you don't need two copies of the inventory list.
This list in our case is for:

Export declaration - you'll just need to certify that those items are not for commercial purposes.
Eventual insurance claim - I'm not sure how it works as I never had to use it.

You don't have to be detailed - in our case goes like this:
Box 0,5m x 0.4m x 0.6 12kg - Books and clothing  - £120
and so.
About the value - it is a bit tricky. For example, you have a flat-packed Ikea item you've purchased recently and it's still in the package, costing you 49 - you put 49.
If you have some antique piece of furniture - you'd have to put the amount you'd have to spend to replace it.
I hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
Matt

-@Maciej Legowicz