Pets in Belize

We are planning on traveling to Belize in the next few months with our 3 small dogs. We have tried getting information but are confused as to what is necessary and when. Does anyone have any insight on this matter? Is it safe for small dogs in the Corozal area? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Laura & Paul.

Hello, I recently made the move to Corozal area with my cat. You will need import permits (from Belize) and health and vaccine certificates (from your veterinarian) for each of the dogs. See this website for more details https://baha.org.bz/departments/animal- … uirements/

If you hope to return the pets to the US, please check into the reqs and regs to import a dog from Belize. The US has a reputation of being defensive about its border.

I live in Cayo, but have spent a few days with my dogs in/around Corozal. It was fine. Belize dogs are often off leash and at large. Most are okay. I think to survive as a potlicker they can't be aggressive. When I was in Sarteneja, someone commented about some immigrants from the US who are known for "walking around with their dog on a rope" but otherwise being pretty normal people.  For myself, I've found it better to have my dogs not on a leash.

The vet certificate was about $500 for each dog at Banfield™ vet. They have to have a recent rabies shot, less than 30 days but more than 7 days prior to arrival. Belize doesn't recognize 3-year shots, just 1-year. All in all, it's not simple or cheap to bring a pet to Belize.

@DnBR

Belize  does accept the 3 year rabies vaccine.

Also, the health certificate does not need to be signed by a government agency. It can simply be a letter on the veterinarian's letterhead, including type of animal, date of birth, weight, medication info, date given. The letter needs to be signed by vet, with vet's licence number and dated.

That should save a few dollars 😉

This is a great site, and I review it often, but in this case, I have a followup question to ask regarding the 3 year rabies for cats.  I literally just returned from the vet and found that he has given my cat the 3 year, instead of the 1 year, so now I"m in a bit of a panic.  For the other posters above, from where did you get your information that Belize either will or will not accept the 3 year vaccine? 

Thanks!

Hi all, actually, I just emailed BAHA, and they very quickly replied, confirming that they do in fact accept the 1 and the 3 year rabies.  I did specify that this was for a cat.  Dogs, as I understand it, are a whole different animal (haha, no pun intended).....

Thanks

This is a great site, and I review it often, but in this case, I have a followup question to ask regarding the 3 year rabies for cats.  I literally just returned from the vet and found that he has given my cat the 3 year, instead of the 1 year, so now I"m in a bit of a panic.  For the other posters above, from where did you get your information that Belize either will or will not accept the 3 year vaccine? 
Thanks!

-@BHeart

Our dogs, before we moved full time, have travelled back and forth and have only ever had 3 year rabies shots.

That's good to know. I was told by a BAHA agent it didn't matter what shot you get, it's gotta be a new one every 12 months. It's not the first time finding different answers from different gov't experts.